So was Palin a complete disaster?
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
May 21, 2024, 07:31:22 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Election Archive
  Election Archive
  2008 Elections
  So was Palin a complete disaster?
« previous next »
Pages: 1 [2]
Author Topic: So was Palin a complete disaster?  (Read 3196 times)
Cubby
Pim Fortuyn
Junior Chimp
Israel

Political Matrix
E: -3.74, S: -6.96

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #25 on: October 03, 2008, 12:10:55 AM »

You must be logged in to read this quote.

what does that have to do with being vice president?  nothing.

she isnt running for legal scholar.

So you don't think she should have to know anything about history? Some intelligence about political practice and history should be a requirement for Vice President, we can't just elect people because they seem like us and are nice.

yes, her answer was a little awkward, but i think it is meaningless.  it was a gotcha question.

and despite my being a grandson of a sharecropper, i can name at least one supreme court decision i disagree with, the recent decision regarding the handguns ban in dc.  take that couric!

Well congratulations, you're smarter than Sarah Palin.

Its not "gotcha journalism". Palin didn't know the answer to a legitimate question and was embarrassed. Thats not Courics's fault, its her job to let America see if Palin is ready to be VP.
WalterMitty
Atlas Star

Political Matrix
E: 1.68, S: -2.26

« Reply #26 on: October 03, 2008, 12:13:38 AM »

We know that Biden isn't a fan of Bork, how about her?

The upcoming Bork hearings are very important to me.

i bet bork didnt have to plagiarize in law school!
I spent the winter writing songs about getting better
BRTD
Atlas Prophet
Ukraine

Political Matrix
E: -6.50, S: -6.67

P P
« Reply #27 on: October 03, 2008, 12:19:04 AM »

and despite my being a grandson of a sharecropper, i can name at least one supreme court decision i disagree with, the recent decision regarding the handguns ban in dc.  take that couric!

And you're voting for McCain? LOL
WalterMitty
Atlas Star

Political Matrix

« Reply #28 on: October 03, 2008, 12:24:52 AM »

uh.  didnt your hero obama praise that awful supreme court decision? (despite previously being for the banning of handguns)
I spent the winter writing songs about getting better
BRTD
Atlas Prophet
Ukraine

Political Matrix
E: -6.50, S: -6.67

P P
« Reply #29 on: October 03, 2008, 12:27:23 AM »

uh.  didnt your hero obama praise that awful supreme court decision? (despite previously being for the banning of handguns)

Yes. But who is more likely to appoint Supreme Court justices to overturn it? Not that I care, but you apparently do.
WalterMitty
Atlas Star

Political Matrix

« Reply #30 on: October 03, 2008, 12:30:37 AM »
« Edited: October 03, 2008, 12:44:54 AM by WalterMitty »

Yes. But who is more likely to appoint Supreme Court justices to overturn it? Not that I care, but you apparently do.

i think the democrat party has sold its soul to the gun industry in the hopes of getting the dullard vote in the south and middle west.
J. J.
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #31 on: October 03, 2008, 12:38:11 AM »

Far from a complete disaster.  McCain filled his inside straight.  It might be a straight flush.

I think, at points, she connected with the American people.
Tender Branson
Mark Warner 08
Atlas Institution
Austria

Political Matrix
E: -6.06, S: -4.84

« Reply #32 on: October 03, 2008, 12:40:31 AM »

Sarah Palin reminded me of Jörg Haider. Both constantly talk about their home states and what "great" things they have accomplished there. Hopefully her impact on the election isn't like Haider's 5 days ago ...
Fmr President & Senator Polnut
polnut
Atlas Icon
Australia

Political Matrix
E: -2.71, S: -5.22

« Reply #33 on: October 03, 2008, 12:41:52 AM »

Not at all.

But expecations could not POSSIBLY have been lower - so I hate to think what a complete disaster would have looked like.

Robespierre's Jaw
Senator Conor Flynn
Junior Chimp
Political Matrix
E: -4.90, S: -8.35

« Reply #34 on: October 03, 2008, 02:33:04 AM »

From what I have seen of the VP debate thus far, Governor Palin was not a complete disaster, which I assumed she would be. However, her performance in the debate was far from perfect, primarily as Polnut said earlier she aimed too low with her expectations.
daboese
Germany

« Reply #35 on: October 03, 2008, 04:57:35 AM »
« Edited: October 03, 2008, 06:51:20 AM by daboese »

General consensus:
Did she energize the base, did she deliver what republicans wanted? Yes.
Did she show that she understood anything which goes beyond Alaska, did she have a deeper insight of policies? No.

Sarah Palin reminded me of Jörg Haider.
This is not a good sign. I don't know how Haider is in his debates, but I believe that it must be pretty awful.

If she ever gets to office, you can heed my words: She will be much worse than GWBush ever was. She is completely clueless about almost everything, she seems to know Alaska and its domestic policies well, but anything beyond that is completely out of her league. She rarely answered the questions in a straight manner, and she does not have a clue about what is going on the world. She only said the scripted, memorized stuff, and was not able to talk freely. Thus, as a president, she would be outright dangerous, far beyond GWBush. For the US, and even more so for the world.

I really hope she will get back to Alaska, where she obviously does a good job. If you read the Peter-Principle, you know what I mean.
Grumpier Than Uncle Joe
GM3PRP
Atlas Legend
Greece
« Reply #36 on: October 03, 2008, 08:14:47 AM »

She stopped the bleeding, mission accomplished.
Kalimantan
Indonesia

Political Matrix
E: -3.10, S: -1.74

« Reply #37 on: October 03, 2008, 10:17:46 AM »

She stopped the bleeding, mission accomplished.

Not sure she did, bless her:

from ABC:  The McCain campaign confirms to ABC News that Palin misstated McCain's position."

Press release by ACORN

"About 20 minutes into tonight's debate, Governor Sarah Palin demonstrated bipartisan appeal in endorsing Senator Biden's call for bankruptcy protections for primary residences. When Senator Biden called for bankruptcy shelter and suggested that Governor Palin likely opposed those protections, Gwen Ifill asked, "Governor Palin, is that so?" The Governor responded, "That is not so."

Both Senators Biden and Obama have supported the "Helping Families Save Their Homes in Bankruptcy Act", which would close the loophole in current federal bankruptcy law that prevents primary residences from have their mortgages restructured by federal bankruptcy judges. Currently, second homes, seventh homes, and yachts are eligible for such restructuring, but not primary residences that are being lost at a record pace in the current foreclosure crisis.

ACORN welcomes Governor Palin's endorsement of this important provision, and hopes that this high-profile endorsement will encourage Senator McCain to change his mind and support this necessary change to assist America's struggling homeowners.

Not much, but has caused the McCain camp to 'correct' her statement
Pages: 1 [2]  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies