Why do the Democrats have a popular vote advantage? (user search)
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
May 22, 2024, 08:48:08 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Presidential Elections - Analysis and Discussion
  U.S. Presidential Election Results (Moderator: Dereich)
  Why do the Democrats have a popular vote advantage? (search mode)
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: Why do the Democrats have a popular vote advantage?  (Read 2847 times)
SamTilden2020

« on: October 27, 2017, 01:09:02 PM »

As the title says. I've noticed that over the past 25 years, Democrats have won the popular vote in all but one election (that of 2004). In all four elections where the popular-vote winner lost the election (1876 (most terrifyingly), 1888, 2000, and 2016), that person was a Democrat. Why is it that Democrats have this advantage, even when, geographically speaking, most of the nation's counties vote Republican every cycle?

In 1888, 2K and 2016, the dem margins in the big states outweighed the smaller gop wins in the other states.

In the case of 1876, blame the corrupt southern governors and the "Compromise (Inside Job) of 1877".
SamTilden2020

« Reply #1 on: November 13, 2017, 07:59:21 PM »

1876 was the most disgraceful election in American history. The corrupt bargain the GOP made to maintain power resulted in the end of Reconstruction and blacks suffering nearly a century of segregation and oppression.

Words cannot express how much I agree.

Anyway as I said, with the Dems having nowhere to go but up in the biggest states, and republicans losing more and more ground in TX, I can definitely say that the republicans need a strong win to even have a chance at a PV majority.
Pages: [1]  
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies