Republican National Convention **live commentary thread** (user search)
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
May 18, 2024, 01:35:55 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Election Archive
  Election Archive
  2016 U.S. Presidential Election
  Republican National Convention **live commentary thread** (search mode)
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: Republican National Convention **live commentary thread**  (Read 101365 times)
Lyin' Steve
SteveMcQueen

« on: July 18, 2016, 10:42:56 AM »

http://www.newsday.com/news/nation/gop-convention-schedule-republican-speakers-and-dates-in-cleveland-1.12035243

Additional prime-time speakers include former New York City Mayor Rudy Giuliani, Alabama Sen. Jeff Sessions, Willie Robertson of "Duck Dynasty," actors Scott Baio and Antonio Sabato Jr., former Texas Gov. Rick Perry, Milwaukee County Sheriff David Clarke and Arkansas Sen. Tom Cotton, who said he'll talk about the military and veterans.

That's a whole lotta stupid in one night.

What leads someone to write a comment like this?  You've contributed nothing to the discussion, all you did is fling insults at people who will never hear them.  Ugh.

Anyone know what time the speeches are going to start?  I expect live commentary and analysis, Atlas.
Lyin' Steve
SteveMcQueen

« Reply #1 on: July 18, 2016, 09:22:39 PM »

Oh my god, I hope Giuliani doesn't hit the trail with Trump, that was an energetic, powerful, convincing, ferocious speech.  I've never seen Giuliani so passionate before.  Have to imagine that if he'd only given a speech like that a few times in 2008 instead of lazily talking about 9/11 all the time, he would have held his lead.

Oh my god, Trump coming out to "We Are The Champions"
Lyin' Steve
SteveMcQueen

« Reply #2 on: July 18, 2016, 09:24:55 PM »

Wait, that's it?  That's the über-hyped "Trump speech" that everyone was waiting for tonight?  "We're gonna win big, we're going to win big, we're going to win big, we're going to win big, it's an honor to introduce my wife"?  It wasn't even a minute long.

Alright alright alright, let's see what Melania's got up her sleeve.
Lyin' Steve
SteveMcQueen

« Reply #3 on: July 18, 2016, 09:40:19 PM »

Meh, Melania sounds like she's reading a speech off a teleprompter that someone else wrote for her.  Maybe it's her strong accent, maybe it's the nervousness in her eyes, maybe it's just the stilted way she delivers the lines, but something about it just doesn't come off as authentic.

The speech itself was fine.  Melania did a very good job with something she's clearly not the most comfortable person doing.
Lyin' Steve
SteveMcQueen

« Reply #4 on: July 18, 2016, 09:46:04 PM »

wtf is this new american century bs
Lyin' Steve
SteveMcQueen

« Reply #5 on: July 18, 2016, 10:06:55 PM »

Guys Flynn is fine
Honestly the democrat snark on Atlas is becoming nearly unbearable.  I was hoping Atlas would be better for watching the election than the sites I watched it with in '12 and '08, but it's just the same democrats making hollow, snarky, low-investment comments and lack of real discussion.

Might be leaving this site soon, tbh.  It's pretty disappointing.
Lyin' Steve
SteveMcQueen

« Reply #6 on: July 18, 2016, 10:12:44 PM »

Joni Ernst looks and sounds like she's practiced this speech in front of a mirror 100 times with a crib sheet of public speaking tips from WikiHow in front of her.
Lyin' Steve
SteveMcQueen

« Reply #7 on: July 18, 2016, 10:36:08 PM »

This is actually disgusting. Appeals to the worst of humankind.

Yes, it is disgusting. However, we don't know what we'll see next week at the DNC. Will they attack police officers? We don't know. Both parties are crazy.

You would have to actually be an idiot to believe the Democrats and the Republicans are on the same level of crazy.

The Democrats are embracing Black Lives Matter. That's pretty crazy. I supported them before, but after what happened the past week, they're looking like a national liability.

Maybe Hillary and Obama can go join arms in the middle of I-5 during rush hour and hold up thousands of people just trying to get home to see their families.  For extra credit they can run around with a megaphone and shout about how all white people are racists, how the USA can go f**k itself and how the police are an evil cabal committing genocide against black people.
Lyin' Steve
SteveMcQueen

« Reply #8 on: July 18, 2016, 10:37:00 PM »

WOW this hall is empty.  Was Seal Team Six the last speech?
Lyin' Steve
SteveMcQueen

« Reply #9 on: July 19, 2016, 02:23:23 AM »

Can someone please sum up what happened ?

I just woke up and didn't watch anything.

NeverTrump failed hard early in the morning.  Got 10-11 state delegations to sign a petition to have a roll-call vote on the rules, which would have been ugly and chaotic, chair said three states took their names off after the fact so they didn't have enough signatories, drowned out a voice vote, Colorado and one other state (Rhode Island?) walk out in protest.  That dominated the early coverage.  Mike Lee and Ken Cuccinelli got a lot of attention for their fit on the floor.

Peter King opened the convention by talking about how the last time they were there was 1936 and the country was in turmoil, just like today!  Except that 1936 was FDR's re-election and he was digging the country out of the ditch the GOP had put it in under Harding/Coolidge/Hoover, so the analogy is perhaps more apt than King wanted it to be.  FDR won in a landslide of course.

Early speeches were pretty standard.  Celebrities with nothing in particular to say, minor RNC officials or congressmen.  Benghazi mama was the first big speech, she was completely over-the-top, choking back tears on stage as she screamed about how Hillary was a liar and a murderer and personally responsible for the death of her son.  There's a good indictment of Hillary for the video thing in there, if anyone still cares about that, but the theatrics and hyperbole completely drowned it out.

Some retired marine gave a good speech, was pretty non-partisan and just talking about how proud he was to serve his country.  The two guys from the Benghazi movie gave a bizarre speech.  Apparently Sheriff Clarke gave an excellent speech.  Flynn was solid but went on for way too long.

Highlight of the night was undoubtedly Giuliani, he spoke with great enthusiasm about how BLM is racist and democrats are responsible for dead cops, Trump is a good man who's done wonderful charitable things for the families of New York, and Hillary Clinton is a threat to our national security.  It's probably his last big moment and unfortunately he'll get lost in the Melania shuffle.

Melania's speech was about what you'd expect, kind of awkwardly reading the teleprompter but doing her best to sell it.  Talked about how nice Trump was, how strong he is and good for America he'll be.  Unfortunately it turns out she plagiarized a solid sixty seconds of it, and that's now the big story coming out of Monday.

Completely wasted:  Joni Ernst, Tom Cotton, Willie Robertson, Rick Perry (whose speech was actually quite good), Jeff Sessions.  Ernst's speech may have been the most awkward, boring thing I've ever seen.
Lyin' Steve
SteveMcQueen

« Reply #10 on: July 19, 2016, 10:23:58 AM »

""What I did for New York, Donald Trump will do for America."

Seems like a pretty likely prediction.

What the hell is wrong with you?
Pages: [1]  
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies