Which riding will be _____ party's best in the upcoming Canadian election? (user search)
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
May 20, 2024, 07:17:35 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Other Elections - Analysis and Discussion
  International Elections (Moderators: afleitch, Hash)
  Which riding will be _____ party's best in the upcoming Canadian election? (search mode)
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: Which riding will be _____ party's best in the upcoming Canadian election?  (Read 707 times)
Geoffrey Howe
Geoffrey Howe admirer
United Kingdom

« on: September 03, 2021, 04:31:20 PM »

Inspired by a similar thread for France in 2017, I invite you to predict each party's best riding.

Ones I can think of (please say if I'm being silly):

NDP - Vancouver East
CPC - simple inductive reasoning would suggest Battle River Crowfoot, though I have a feeling it may not hold true
PPC - Beauce
Geoffrey Howe
Geoffrey Howe admirer
United Kingdom

« Reply #1 on: September 05, 2021, 05:19:21 AM »

As to top Conservative, I suppose a look at Buffalo Party and Wildrose results may give a hint in terms of the degree to which individual Conservative ridings in rural Alberta and Saskatchewan are particularly likely to see significant leakage on the right.  But I think backlash against "that damn eastern bastard O'Toole and his carbon tax" will turn out to be pretty minimal on election day so not sure how much the order shifts.

Battle River-Crowfoot had its best Tory result in 2019, interestingly. It may well have peaked; after all, it was it its most Tory when the country was decidedly not. In 1984, when Mulroney got an absolute majority of the popular vote, its partial predecessor Crowfoot was only at 78% Tory, compared to 85% in 2019. In this seat Reform+PC got in the high 80s not long afterwards.

Insofar as it moves at all (we are talking about a few points here and there I think), I doubt it is likely to go in the same direction as the rest of Canada. That said, I can't say which alternative is more likely.
Pages: [1]  
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies