Israel general discussion
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
May 19, 2024, 09:57:09 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  International General Discussion (Moderators: afleitch, Hash)
  Israel general discussion
« previous next »
Pages: 1 ... 32 33 34 35 36 [37] 38 39 40 41 42 ... 74
Author Topic: Israel general discussion  (Read 229229 times)
Hnv1
YaBB God

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #900 on: January 22, 2017, 05:56:07 AM »

A retreat from Bar Illan speech? Bibi stating the most he's willing to give the Palestinians is a "State minus". I do think that's more close to his honest opinion but the timing is dubious
America Needs R'hllor
Parrotguy
Atlas Icon
Israel

Political Matrix
E: -4.13, S: -3.48

« Reply #901 on: January 22, 2017, 04:46:15 PM »

What about Erel Margalit? I guess his popularity rose with Labour grassroots recently. Does he have a chance? I'd say that out of all the candidates, he and Gabay are the only ones who can bring back some hope for the Labour party.
Famous Mortimer
WillipsBrighton
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #902 on: January 22, 2017, 06:49:57 PM »

Erel Margalit is a terrible candidate. Ultra capitalist and in favor of a grand coalition with Likud. Right-wing on the economy and right-wing on peace. Who does he appeal to? Who would vote for him?
Hnv1
YaBB God

« Reply #903 on: January 23, 2017, 01:47:17 AM »
« Edited: January 23, 2017, 08:29:58 AM by Hnv1 »

Erel Margalit is a terrible candidate. Ultra capitalist and in favor of a grand coalition with Likud. Right-wing on the economy and right-wing on peace. Who does he appeal to? Who would vote for him?
Swing voters, old and young.

As to his odds, it's an enigma as he doesn't have a clear base but has enough money to recuperate it.

Also I don't think he's ultra capitalist, very Blairite, for increased government spending on infrastructure/health/poor areas, with reasonable wiggle room for free market initiative. His economic policy is not that different from Labour's 90s policy or other current moderate MKs. He was for a coalition last time around he was actually the most vocal opponent of it since the last GE. His view on the peace process is obscure. From what I hear a lot of voters who moved to Lapid find his politics appealing, Peretz and Shelly have no such attraction
America Needs R'hllor
Parrotguy
Atlas Icon
Israel

Political Matrix

« Reply #904 on: January 23, 2017, 10:38:42 AM »

Swing voters, old and young.

As to his odds, it's an enigma as he doesn't have a clear base but has enough money to recuperate it.

Also I don't think he's ultra capitalist, very Blairite, for increased government spending on infrastructure/health/poor areas, with reasonable wiggle room for free market initiative. His economic policy is not that different from Labour's 90s policy or other current moderate MKs. He was for a coalition last time around he was actually the most vocal opponent of it since the last GE. His view on the peace process is obscure. From what I hear a lot of voters who moved to Lapid find his politics appealing, Peretz and Shelly have no such attraction

Also, he did present a plan on the conflict- it seems to involve cooperation with Arabic countries, and he definitely is for a 2 state solution. By the way, being for entering the government last time is a plus for me. A united secular government had a larger chance to achieve gay rights and perhaos even a peace agreement than a government with the Jewish Home.
Hnv1
YaBB God

« Reply #905 on: January 23, 2017, 03:16:32 PM »

- Police informs that there additional two criminal investigations against Bibi, one regarding the said purchase of submarines and the other on unspecified offenses for now.
The end is near, this is starting to look like the end of Olmeret on steroids/

- Ayoub Karah (Likud) has been appointed a minister without portfolio, he is by far one of the more comical characters in politics. Eli Cohen (Kulano) was appointed as Minister of Economics.

- Ministry of Justice published a report recommending the decriminalization of marijuana. Minister Shaked surprisingly agreed. Finally some good news I guess
America Needs R'hllor
Parrotguy
Atlas Icon
Israel

Political Matrix

« Reply #906 on: January 23, 2017, 03:30:03 PM »

- Police informs that there additional two criminal investigations against Bibi, one regarding the said purchase of submarines and the other on unspecified offenses for now.

- Ayoub Karah (Likud) has been appointed a minister without portfolio, he is by far one of the more comical characters in politics. Eli Cohen (Kulano) was appointed as Minister of Economics.

- Ministry of Justice published a report recommending the decriminalization of marijuana. Minister Shaked surprisingly agreed. Finally some good news I guess

Was Kahlon the Economics minister anyway, or did Bibi grant Kulanu another ministry? Perhaps in an attempt to stop them from acting against him because of the corruption charges.
Hnv1
YaBB God

« Reply #907 on: January 23, 2017, 03:50:11 PM »

Was Kahlon the Economics minister anyway, or did Bibi grant Kulanu another ministry? Perhaps in an attempt to stop them from acting against him because of the corruption charges.
He gave it to Kachlon last year after the Deri'i debacle. It's simply a move to get more hands around the government table, why is it happening now? I can only speculate and I think you're right on the money.
Hnv1
YaBB God

« Reply #908 on: January 26, 2017, 03:28:37 AM »

Well it's all but official, Israel is moving to for decriminalization (sorta) of marijuana use
America Needs R'hllor
Parrotguy
Atlas Icon
Israel

Political Matrix

« Reply #909 on: January 26, 2017, 07:50:08 AM »

Got a text message from Labour party, new poll:
Margalit- 28%
Peretz- 26%
Avi Gabay (former Environmental Protection Minister who left the Netanyahu government nd joined Labour)- 17%
Herzog- 8%
DavidB.
Atlas Icon
Israel

Political Matrix
E: 0.58, S: 4.26

« Reply #910 on: January 26, 2017, 08:47:06 AM »

Congrats on 420. I'm sure those people who are barely or not at all able to make ends meet because of decades of inadequate social and housing policies are relieved. (Sorry, this is the cynic in me talking.)
Hnv1
YaBB God

« Reply #911 on: January 26, 2017, 09:49:55 AM »

Congrats on 420. I'm sure those people who are barely or not at all able to make ends meet because of decades of inadequate social and housing policies are relieved. (Sorry, this is the cynic in me talking.)
Considering most people persecuted are poor and not the rich kids, this is actually mostly to their benefit.
Hnv1
YaBB God

« Reply #912 on: January 26, 2017, 09:57:29 AM »
« Edited: January 26, 2017, 10:09:55 AM by Hnv1 »

Margalit- 28%
Peretz- 26%
Avi Gabay (former Environmental Protection Minister who left the Netanyahu government nd joined Labour)- 17%
Herzog- 8%
The actual poll does say Amir Peretz is winning any possible head to head. Shame

As to those figures some say they are fake and it's actually 8/26/28/17 (in the order you specified). I'm not sure what to make of this
DavidB.
Atlas Icon
Israel

Political Matrix

« Reply #913 on: January 26, 2017, 11:13:33 AM »

Considering most people persecuted are poor and not the rich kids, this is actually mostly to their benefit.
Fair point. I'm not opposed to it, to be sure. How often were people still prosecuted (hopefully not persecuted... Tongue) for it?
Hnv1
YaBB God

« Reply #914 on: January 26, 2017, 11:22:08 AM »

Fair point. I'm not opposed to it, to be sure. How often were people still prosecuted (hopefully not persecuted... Tongue) for it?
Several hundred cases per year. But the real revelation now is that recreational use at home is completely legitimate. Police acted quite freely in entering homes without warrants (especially in deprived areas), so all in all it's a very good policy toward working class people.

Years ago I used to smoke every now and then (though THC was never my favorite kick) and police picked me up for possession of 1g, I was a well spoken law student so it ended with me being registered in some police database for a year. A Russian friend of mine at the time who came from a poor family was also lifted on similar charge, he ended up being indicted, sentenced to 6 months of public service and had a criminal record...
America Needs R'hllor
Parrotguy
Atlas Icon
Israel

Political Matrix

« Reply #915 on: January 26, 2017, 11:58:28 AM »

Margalit- 28%
Peretz- 26%
Herzog- 8%
The actual poll does say Amir Peretz is winning any possible head to head. Shame

As to those figures some say they are fake and it's actually 8/26/28/17 (in the order you specified). I'm not sure what to make of this

Got a new text from Labour. Now they're presenting a new polls, or the same one, with different results:
Peretz- 32.5
Yachimovich- 17.5
Gabay- 16.7
Margalit- 11.5
Herzog- 10.4
Omer Barlev- 4.3

Weird. I guess if they don't run, Barlev supporters will mainly go to Margalit and Yachimovich supporters to Peretz. He seems almost inevitable here. Seems like voters of all parties have a painfully short memort.
DavidB.
Atlas Icon
Israel

Political Matrix

« Reply #916 on: January 26, 2017, 12:02:58 PM »

Several hundred cases per year. But the real revelation now is that recreational use at home is completely legitimate. Police acted quite freely in entering homes without warrants (especially in deprived areas), so all in all it's a very good policy toward working class people.

Years ago I used to smoke every now and then (though THC was never my favorite kick) and police picked me up for possession of 1g, I was a well spoken law student so it ended with me being registered in some police database for a year. A Russian friend of mine at the time who came from a poor family was also lifted on similar charge, he ended up being indicted, sentenced to 6 months of public service and had a criminal record...
As a Dutchman I tend to think of smoking weed as no big deal, both here and in other countries (though I don't do it: don't like it), but I'm aware of the fact that in way too many situations that isn't necessarily the case at all, especially if you are disadvantaged to begin with. Good to know this policy has ended.
Hnv1
YaBB God

« Reply #917 on: January 26, 2017, 12:16:45 PM »

Margalit- 28%
Peretz- 26%
Herzog- 8%

Got a new text from Labour. Now they're presenting a new polls, or the same one, with different results:
Peretz- 32.5
Yachimovich- 17.5
Gabay- 16.7
Margalit- 11.5
Herzog- 10.4
Omer Barlev- 4.3

Weird. I guess if they don't run, Barlev supporters will mainly go to Margalit and Yachimovich supporters to Peretz. He seems almost inevitable here. Seems like voters of all parties have a painfully short memort.
Yes I saw the PDF, polling 400 Labour members is a fickle affair. I think we'll have a clearer picture in June. Yet it's quite clear it's over for Herzog, I wonder if he'll have enough dignity to poll a Gabriel and step down (after he bad mouthed Margalit, and his hate to Shelly and Peretz I can't see him stepping down for either).
Hnv1
YaBB God

« Reply #918 on: January 29, 2017, 01:10:26 PM »
« Edited: January 29, 2017, 03:29:18 PM by Hnv1 »

Ehud Barak is almost dead on back to Labour. He will join a number of bland ex generals who announced their intentions the past few days.
Labour general secretary elections are overת Hermoni managed to win the second round with 50.5% over Fink's 49%. Hermoni was backed by everyone part for the Shelly camp. He will be designated number 7 on the list so he will be an MK next time around.

Fro absolute denial to going Ardogan on the media clear and increasing signs of panic are discernible in Bibi's remarks on his criminal problems. He's going down and it's going to be a dirty fall
America Needs R'hllor
Parrotguy
Atlas Icon
Israel

Political Matrix

« Reply #919 on: January 29, 2017, 05:15:52 PM »

Ehud Barak is almost dead on back to Labour. He will join a number of bland ex generals who announced their intentions the past few days.
Labour general secretary elections are overת Hermoni managed to win the second round with 50.5% over Fink's 49%. Hermoni was backed by everyone part for the Shelly camp. He will be designated number 7 on the list so he will be an MK next time around.

Fro absolute denial to going Ardogan on the media clear and increasing signs of panic are discernible in Bibi's remarks on his criminal problems. He's going down and it's going to be a dirty fall

Lol, typical Israeli typo Smiley
Anyway, surprised and disappointed that Harmoni won. He seems much more boring than Fink. In any case, these elections showed just how much the Labour needs a shake-up. Two boring figures who were there just because of their ties to powerhouses. This position should've been given to someone with some star power, like Biran.
Filuwaúrdjan
Realpolitik
Atlas Institution
United Kingdom

« Reply #920 on: January 29, 2017, 05:42:12 PM »

Ehud Barak is almost dead on back to Labour.

As a wise man once said, aaaaayyyy lmao.
Hnv1
YaBB God

« Reply #921 on: February 05, 2017, 07:56:34 AM »

Yechimovic will run to head the Histadrut (national workers' federation) which means she will not run to be Labour's leader even if she loses. If she wins in May she will forgo her Knesset seat. It will be an interesting match to see who secures the electric company union and the dockers union.
Santander
Atlas Star
United Kingdom

Political Matrix
E: 4.00, S: 2.61

« Reply #922 on: February 06, 2017, 12:17:50 PM »

http://www.jpost.com/Israel-News/Politics-And-Diplomacy/Amid-UN-warning-Israel-set-to-pass-historic-settlements-bill-480740

I'm not sure about this.
Stand With Israel. Crush Hamas
Ray Goldfield
Junior Chimp

« Reply #923 on: February 06, 2017, 01:08:10 PM »

The UN gave them no wiggle room on this. By turning every Jewish home in eastern Jerusalem into the equivalent of an illegal outpost, the UN gave Israel the choice between total surrender and waiting for the UN to declare Tel Aviv illegally occupied, or holding the line and making clear to the UN that their filthy piece of paper means nothing. They made the right choice.
Pandaguineapig
United States

« Reply #924 on: February 06, 2017, 06:49:04 PM »

The UN gave them no wiggle room on this. By turning every Jewish home in eastern Jerusalem into the equivalent of an illegal outpost, the UN gave Israel the choice between total surrender and waiting for the UN to declare Tel Aviv illegally occupied, or holding the line and making clear to the UN that their filthy piece of paper means nothing. They made the right choice.
The u.n resolution amounted to little more than an angry letter. There is nothing that the u.n could do to stop Israel from building settlements that would not get vetoed by the u.s
Pages: 1 ... 32 33 34 35 36 [37] 38 39 40 41 42 ... 74  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies