Are things going too far? (user search)
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
May 21, 2024, 02:21:05 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  U.S. General Discussion (Moderators: The Dowager Mod, Chancellor Tanterterg)
  Are things going too far? (search mode)
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: Are things going too far?  (Read 3819 times)
forgotten manatee
bluecat
United States

« on: June 29, 2018, 07:28:05 PM »

We will soon have a Republican-controlled White House thanks in part to the influence of a hostile foreign power, a Republican-controlled Congress thanks in part to gerrymandering, and a Republican Supreme Court due to dirty tactics and a stolen seat. Is the GOP pushing its ruthlessness and bad faith too far? If so, what are the likely consequences or results?
forgotten manatee
bluecat
United States

« Reply #1 on: June 30, 2018, 09:39:03 AM »

I kinda think I see where liberals are coming from. They believe the country elected Bill Clinton twice, then elected Al Gore, then Bush won (but should have never been there), then the country twice elected Obama and then a year and a half ago elected Hillary Clinton.

They believe the country is more left than right. That the only reason the Supreme Court is right is because of George W. Bush and Donald Trump putting Alito, Roberts, Gorsuch and another conservative on the courts, and that those should have been Al Gore and Hillary Clinton (or Obama) appointments.

See, this type of arrogance drives me nuts. You say all that, but then your party fails to even recognize mandates for Democrats when they do win elections. I'll never forget 2008, when the Republicans lost the popular vote AND electoral college, and then proceeded to act like the Obama administration had no legitimacy, and were determined to do everything possible to make it a one term anomaly. And then people like you have the gall say that its people like me who just want to cover their ears and ignore the accomplishments and actions of Republican administrations. Honestly Reaganfan, you are part of the problem.
forgotten manatee
bluecat
United States

« Reply #2 on: June 30, 2018, 05:44:27 PM »

We will soon have a Republican-controlled White House thanks in part to the influence of a hostile foreign power, a Republican-controlled Congress thanks in part to gerrymandering, and a Republican Supreme Court due to dirty tactics and a stolen seat. Is the GOP pushing its ruthlessness and bad faith too far? If so, what are the likely consequences or results?

Yes and they have went too far a long time ago. But the Democrats refuse to gerrymander California or New York, refuse to break up California, and can't even get single payer passed at the state level. And some commentators only reluctantly support expanding the size of the Supreme Court. So what? You don't stick up for yourself with what little power you do have, you don't get to complain when you get kicked in the face.

Democrats definitely need to play hardball, I’ll give you that.

If we are going pie in the sky, rather than break up California, I would merge the Dakotas into one  state. There’s no reason for those two states to have four Senators.
forgotten manatee
bluecat
United States

« Reply #3 on: June 30, 2018, 08:29:55 PM »

Republicans could've planned anything they wanted...they had no power. How did a party that controlled the White House and 59% of both houses of Congress manage to let Republicans "obstruct" them?

Easy. Because Democrats are weak and they believe in that pie-in-the-sky theory that there's a purple America and that its possible to engage in bipartisanship with the GOP.

Then you should be angrier with the Dems than the Republicans. They were given a government monopoly on a silver platter and they blew it.

And by the way, the fact that Obama based his whole campaign on destroying the legacy of the then-incumbent Republican president undermines your bipartisan soliloquy a little bit.

Democrats were also wrestling with the fallout of near economic collapse, which the Republicans did nothing to help with once Obama took office. The 2010 results can’t be analyzed properly without also looking at the larger economic picture. Gosh you are dense.
forgotten manatee
bluecat
United States

« Reply #4 on: July 01, 2018, 07:05:07 AM »
« Edited: July 01, 2018, 08:27:52 AM by forgotten manatee »

Things have been going too far since 2015, if not before then.

I'm ashamed at some of the conditions in this country. I'm a Social Studies teacher - last year I had to teach middle schoolers about the Dylann Roof shooting and the Charlottesville riots... where did we go wrong as a country???

And those aren't even related to Trump, or the GOP. Roof happened while Obama was in office and Charlottesville likely still happens if he or Hillary were President. It's a separate, bigger issue in this country.

I don’t think Charlottesville would have happened with Obama or Hillary as president, especially if Trump never even campaigned. His rhetoric has made racist scum feel comfortable coming out of the woodwork, which is an uncomfortable truth that Trumpie clowns on here ignore, to their eternal shame. It’s not a coincidence that Nazis are seeking GOP nominations  post-2016.
forgotten manatee
bluecat
United States

« Reply #5 on: July 01, 2018, 08:05:54 PM »

As for the political winds they will drastically change in 2020 or 2024. An old majority rooted in Reagan's revolution forty years ago is no longer able to command significant majorities in the body politic and has radicalized to maintain its slender hold. The radicalism represents in many ways the final death rattle. Look at the ending years of dying majorities. They are the most radical and supernova like before going out.

I want to pull the thread on that.. when else have we seen an activist majority in its dying years?
Pages: [1]  
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies