Are things going too far? (user search)
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
May 21, 2024, 12:11:13 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  U.S. General Discussion (Moderators: The Dowager Mod, Chancellor Tanterterg)
  Are things going too far? (search mode)
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: Are things going too far?  (Read 3819 times)
twenty42
United States

« on: June 29, 2018, 10:07:10 PM »

Why are you crying? According to Atlas, we are on the verge of a permanent Democratic majority...
twenty42
United States

« Reply #1 on: June 30, 2018, 08:01:01 PM »

I kinda think I see where liberals are coming from. They believe the country elected Bill Clinton twice, then elected Al Gore, then Bush won (but should have never been there), then the country twice elected Obama and then a year and a half ago elected Hillary Clinton.

They believe the country is more left than right. That the only reason the Supreme Court is right is because of George W. Bush and Donald Trump putting Alito, Roberts, Gorsuch and another conservative on the courts, and that those should have been Al Gore and Hillary Clinton (or Obama) appointments.

See, this type of arrogance drives me nuts. You say all that, but then your party fails to even recognize mandates for Democrats when they do win elections. I'll never forget 2008, when the Republicans lost the popular vote AND electoral college, and then proceeded to act like the Obama administration had no legitimacy, and were determined to do everything possible to make it a one term anomaly. And then people like you have the gall say that its people like me who just want to cover their ears and ignore the accomplishments and actions of Republican administrations. Honestly Reaganfan, you are part of the problem.

Very well said, friend. Republicans have absolutely no right to stand up and yell about how we need to respect the Trump Administration considering the absolute lack of respect shown to Obama. Obama was a president that won an actual and solid majority of American voters, went about the job of President with dignity and decency, and in general was a good man. Unlike Trump. And what did the Republicans do? S*it all over him, obstruct him at every corner, and use extremist tactics and dogwhistles for their own advantage. Republicans have absolutely no right to complain about how nobody respects their wannabe dictator of a President.

Perhaps I'm missing something here, but when did Republicans question the actual legitimacy of Obama's victories? They may have sought to minimize his political footprint, but that's what the opposition does in politics.

Frankly, I'm getting sick of hearing that Republicans obstructed Obama from Day 1. Dems took control of the White House, the Congress, and the Senate in January 2009. If Republicans were able to do so much damage while they held no power, then that's on the Dems. It seems the only thing Dems accomplished in those two years was to piss America off, and the proof in the pudding is that Republicans won a resounding victory in 2010. You can canonize Obama all you want, but the fact is that he oversaw every federal and state body of government go from Dem-controlled to Republican-controlled over his eight years.

And as far as 2016 goes...if the Democratic Party is such the inevitable colossus that this board makes it out to be, then maybe, just MAYBE they would've won the NPV by more than two points and the PV/EV split wouldn't have been an issue.
twenty42
United States

« Reply #2 on: June 30, 2018, 08:12:09 PM »

Perhaps I'm missing something here, but when did Republicans question the actual legitimacy of Obama's victories? They may have sought to minimize his political footprint, but that's what the opposition does in politics.

Frankly, I'm getting sick of hearing that Republicans obstructed Obama from Day 1. Dems took control of the White House, the Congress, and the Senate in January 2009. If Republicans were able to do so much damage while they held no power, then that's on the Dems. It seems the only thing Dems accomplished in those two years was to piss America off, and the proof in the pudding is that Republicans won a resounding victory in 2010. You can canonize Obama all you want, but the fact is that he oversaw every federal and state body of government go from Dem-controlled to Republican-controlled over his eight years.

And as far as 2016 goes...if the Democratic Party is such the inevitable colossus that this board makes it out to be, then maybe, just MAYBE they would've won the NPV by more than two points and the PV/EV split wouldn't have been an issue.

Fact check: False!

The Republicans actually planned to obstruct Obama BEFORE he was even inaugurated.

You must be logged in to read this quote.

Republicans could've planned anything they wanted...they had no power. How did a party that controlled the White House and 59% of both houses of Congress manage to let Republicans "obstruct" them?
twenty42
United States

« Reply #3 on: June 30, 2018, 08:22:38 PM »

Republicans could've planned anything they wanted...they had no power. How did a party that controlled the White House and 59% of both houses of Congress manage to let Republicans "obstruct" them?

Easy. Because Democrats are weak and they believe in that pie-in-the-sky theory that there's a purple America and that its possible to engage in bipartisanship with the GOP.

Then you should be angrier with the Dems than the Republicans. They were given a government monopoly on a silver platter and they blew it.

And by the way, the fact that Obama based his whole campaign on destroying the legacy of the then-incumbent Republican president undermines your bipartisan soliloquy a little bit.
twenty42
United States

« Reply #4 on: July 01, 2018, 09:58:13 AM »

Easy. Because Democrats are weak and they believe in that pie-in-the-sky theory that there's a purple America and that its possible to engage in bipartisanship with the GOP.

Then you should be angrier with the Dems than the Republicans. They were given a government monopoly on a silver platter and they blew it.

And by the way, the fact that Obama based his whole campaign on destroying the legacy of the then-incumbent Republican president undermines your bipartisan soliloquy a little bit.

Very selective memory there: it's not like Bush needed any help in having his "legacy" undermined in the 2008 election. Him and his administration were widely despised across the board, almost all of his signature policies were being maligned and he spent his last few years careening from crisis to crisis.

Obama if anything was far too kind to his predecessor: the Bush administration's crimes and mismanagement were quickly thrown into the memory hole and Bush just became a figure that could pal around with Obama and Michelle like he isn't a despicable and degenerate war criminal.

I don't like to pretend that my country is perfect, but I'm glad that we have collectively made Tony Blair a persona non grata, a symbol of rank hypocricy and sanctimony. Why Americans have to pretend their ex Commanders in Chief are secular saints is beyond me. Every living president, with the exception of Carter, are self-serving crooks. Hopefully Trump dispels the illusion by being so odious and open in his criminality that nobody will claim the position of President automatically makes one a moral figure.

Liberals love GWB now. He has like a 65% approval rating. What changed?
Pages: [1]  
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies