Labour Party (UK) Leadership Election, 2016 (user search)
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
May 10, 2024, 04:36:45 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Other Elections - Analysis and Discussion
  International Elections (Moderators: afleitch, Hash)
  Labour Party (UK) Leadership Election, 2016 (search mode)
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: Labour Party (UK) Leadership Election, 2016  (Read 57215 times)
Pandaguineapig
United States

« on: July 07, 2016, 05:38:24 PM »

I could see a large chunk of labour going to the lib demsbif corbyn remains mostly due to brexit and his tolerance of anti semitism
Pandaguineapig
United States

« Reply #1 on: August 04, 2016, 12:16:03 PM »

They should see if tony blair wants to make a comeback lol
Pandaguineapig
United States

« Reply #2 on: August 04, 2016, 01:36:07 PM »

Far, far more people would support expelling Blair from the party than his return as leader. And I'm referring to the people in the PLP as opposed to the wider membership.
I'm joking but it's funny considering he is the only person to lead labor to victory since the 1970's
Pandaguineapig
United States

« Reply #3 on: August 05, 2016, 11:19:18 AM »

Far, far more people would support expelling Blair from the party than his return as leader. And I'm referring to the people in the PLP as opposed to the wider membership.
I'm joking but it's funny considering he is the only person to lead labor to victory since the 1970's

Pretty much anyone could have done so in 1997.

Which is what everyone was saying in 1990, about 1992.

Blair's achievement in 1997 wasn't winning- it was winning in Seats that hadn't elected Labour MP's since 1945, and will probably never again.
John Smith's one last heave strategy probably would have given labour a solid majority had he lived but not on the same scale as Tony Blair was able tobget
Pandaguineapig
United States

« Reply #4 on: August 11, 2016, 12:33:10 PM »

Given his support from rank and file labour supporters, is it possible corbyn can stay on as leader even if the party suffers a large defeat in the next election?
Pandaguineapig
United States

« Reply #5 on: August 11, 2016, 01:37:21 PM »

Supporters and Members are not the same thing. Unless Americans grasp this point can they stay out of this thread? Diolch.
I fully understand that and how easy it was for supporters of other parties to become labour members and vote for corbyn in 2015
Pandaguineapig
United States

« Reply #6 on: September 09, 2016, 11:13:57 PM »

I think much of the discussion on the supposed downfall of labour is greatly exaggerated, they're only polling a couple points below their 2010 and 2015 levels, and even with a loss of seats in 2020 a government in 2025 is certainly attainable with May likely to lose some popularity and labour being led by someone halfway competent
Pandaguineapig
United States

« Reply #7 on: September 10, 2016, 12:59:05 AM »

I think much of the discussion on the supposed downfall of labour is greatly exaggerated, they're only polling a couple points below their 2010 and 2015 levels, and even with a loss of seats in 2020 a government in 2025 is certainly attainable with May likely to lose some popularity and labour being led by someone halfway competent

Even if they do win in 2025, which is no guarantee, I imagine that being out of power for nine more years would be a tough pill to swallow for Labour supporters, considering they've already been in opposition for six...
The next election is years off and anything can happen but the only person who looks like they are less suited to lead labour than corbyn is Owen Smith
Pandaguineapig
United States

« Reply #8 on: September 19, 2016, 01:48:32 AM »

Would you say the UK Labour Party = US Republican Party in future troubles
No, because no matter how bad Trump does, the GOP will still have considerable power downballot.
Also based on current polls Trump has a far better chance of becoming the next president than corbyn does of becoming the next prime minister
Pages: [1]  
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies