Top congressional districts with the highest of various ancestries (user search)
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
May 18, 2024, 05:44:01 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  Political Geography & Demographics (Moderators: muon2, 100% pro-life no matter what)
  Top congressional districts with the highest of various ancestries (search mode)
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: Top congressional districts with the highest of various ancestries  (Read 8298 times)
Verily
Cuivienen
Atlas Icon

Political Matrix
E: 1.81, S: -6.78

« on: May 20, 2010, 06:09:25 PM »
« edited: May 20, 2010, 06:13:05 PM by Verily »

Can't exactly say I'm surprised to live in the most Italian CD in the country

I would have thought NY-13 was the most Italian, since Staten Island/Richmond is the nation's highest percentage Italian county. I guess that little part of Brooklyn it includes dilutes that.

NY-3 is designed to include the most Republican (read: most Italian) parts of Nassau and western Suffolk County. Whereas NY-13 contains all of Staten Island.

The Brooklyn part of NY-13 is probably not significantly less Italian than the district as a whole. Bay Ridge as a whole was 16.5% Italian, but they're concentrated in the southern area that's in NY-13. Bay Ridge as a whole is 16.6% Irish, 16.5% Italian, 10.8% Arab, 5.4% Chinese and 5.4% Greek. The Arabs and Chinese live mostly at the northern end of the neighborhood, however.
Verily
Cuivienen
Atlas Icon

Political Matrix

« Reply #1 on: May 21, 2010, 02:42:12 PM »

The "American" is bull. Those folks should be "unknown." Actual American ancestry

Well, technically they are of American ancestry if their parents were born here.

Ok, then I suspect the most "American" district in the US is a heck of a lot higher than 35%.

Isn't 'American' ancestry codename for 'white racist redneck'?
It just means that your family has been here so long, that you don't know anything about your ancestry. I can't believe otherwise credible sources use it, especially when there is a "real" American ancestry that is something else entirely.

No, it was a campaign to write-in "American" rather than your actual ancestry to "assert your American-ness" that caught fire in Appalachia in 2000 (and will probably be repeated in this Census).
Verily
Cuivienen
Atlas Icon

Political Matrix

« Reply #2 on: May 23, 2010, 08:25:15 PM »
« Edited: May 23, 2010, 08:28:10 PM by Verily »

I'd like to see % Jewish by Congressional Districts. The "winners" would inevitably be in New York (with maybe a Chicagoland or South Florida district further down on the list.)

Top 5, I'd guess in no particular order, are FL-19, FL-22, NY-9, NY-17, and NY-8.

Also throw in NJ-9 for good measure. Actually, it's almost certainly more Jewish than NY-17, which I doubt is particularly Jewish for NY State. (Rockland County does not have many more Jews than elsewhere in the NYC metro, and nor do Yonkers or [obviously] Mt. Vernon; Riverdale of course does, but it's no more than 10% of the district.)

Also, NY-5. Limited by being less than majority white, but I bet around half or more of those are Jews.
Verily
Cuivienen
Atlas Icon

Political Matrix

« Reply #3 on: May 23, 2010, 08:31:00 PM »

I just noticed that in Canada, "Canadian" actually got a plurality of responses for ethnicity (including a super-majority in Quebec which didn't even have the highest percentage of "French" respondents), so that's one area were Canada is actually dumber than us. At least this "American" stupidity here is concentrated only in one (very stupid in general) area.

The "American" self identification thing is mostly driven by Scots-Irish ancestry rather than region, and just has a regional correlation, because the Scots-Irish tend to be concentrated in one part of the country. At least that is my perception, and what I have read to my recollection.

It certainly has a strong correlation, although I think stubborn people like Don who are not Scots-Irish have begun to take it up as well. Originally, the Scots-Irish were probably more prone to identifying as "American" than anyone else because they had minimal sense of an ancestral home--Northern Ireland of course not being their ancestors' "original" "homeland" anyway.
Pages: [1]  
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies