Reminder that Orson Scott Card is still a crazy right-wing bigot (user search)
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
May 18, 2024, 03:53:51 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  U.S. General Discussion (Moderators: The Dowager Mod, Chancellor Tanterterg)
  Reminder that Orson Scott Card is still a crazy right-wing bigot (search mode)
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: Reminder that Orson Scott Card is still a crazy right-wing bigot  (Read 3984 times)
Vosem
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: 8.13, S: -6.09

« on: August 14, 2013, 04:48:34 PM »

Clearly Card's imagination is still active enough to write good fiction.

Besides, if I want an LDS sci-fi or fantasy author, Brandon Sanderson is much better and doesn't spout his mouth off over everything.

What has he written besides finishing Wheel of Time? (Where I'm nowhere near far enough in to enjoy his work, which is at the very end of the series?)
Vosem
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: 8.13, S: -6.09

« Reply #1 on: August 15, 2013, 03:53:33 PM »

Clearly Card's imagination is still active enough to write good fiction.

Besides, if I want an LDS sci-fi or fantasy author, Brandon Sanderson is much better and doesn't spout his mouth off over everything.

What has he written besides finishing Wheel of Time? (Where I'm nowhere near far enough in to enjoy his work, which is at the very end of the series?)

Well, he's basically written 30+ books, but the main series he's written are Mistborn, the thousand-page long Way of Kings which is part of a planned ten-novel series, a standalone called the Emperor's Soul, and a children's book series or two.

I'd highly recommend the Mistborn series, it's very good. If you don't want to click the link, the basic premise is that a thousand years ago, the heroes lost, and an incredibly powerful sorcerer called the Lord Ruler took over, and he's ruled ever since. There's a magic system based on ingesting different metals (if you swallow tin, your senses are temporarily enhanced, for example, while steel lets you pull yourself towards metallic objects), with very logical limitations, such as the fact that you can only ever have one of these powers unless you're a Mistborn, in which case you can have all of them. A rag-tag band of thieves try to steal the Lord Ruler's riches and get in way over their heads.

That does sound quite good -- the next time I'm at my local library I'll take a look Smiley
Pages: [1]  
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies