When Will The Last WWI and WWII Veterans Die, And At What Ages? (user search)
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
May 21, 2024, 02:58:57 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  U.S. General Discussion (Moderators: The Dowager Mod, Chancellor Tanterterg)
  When Will The Last WWI and WWII Veterans Die, And At What Ages? (search mode)
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: When Will The Last WWI and WWII Veterans Die, And At What Ages?  (Read 3195 times)
Obnoxiously Slutty Girly Girl
Libertas
Atlas Icon
Finland

« on: December 22, 2009, 01:47:33 AM »

I'm not sure this thread belongs here anywhere
Libertas
Atlas Icon
Finland

« Reply #1 on: December 22, 2009, 02:29:44 PM »

Maité Roël is only 26 and is a victim of the First World War. I'm sure she'll live beyond 2012.
Libertas
Atlas Icon
Finland

« Reply #2 on: December 22, 2009, 02:59:00 PM »

Maité Roël is only 26 and is a victim of the First World War. I'm sure she'll live beyond 2012.

I was specifically talking about veterans of WWI, not victims. Someone could step on a landmine from WWI 100 years ago and be considered a victim.
You must be logged in to read this quote.
Libertas
Atlas Icon
Finland

« Reply #3 on: December 22, 2009, 09:25:59 PM »

I was specifically talking about veterans of WWI, not victims. Someone could step on a landmine from WWI 100 years ago and be considered a victim.

Clearly that card is not hers. It is impossible for her to be a veteran of WWI if she was born 65 years after the war ended.

She is considered a veteran by her country's veterans' bureau.
Libertas
Atlas Icon
Finland

« Reply #4 on: December 22, 2009, 09:52:56 PM »

Clearly that card is not hers. It is impossible for her to be a veteran of WWI if she was born 65 years after the war ended.

She is considered a veteran by her country's veterans' bureau.

Which country is she from again, anyway? I think that her country's definition of WWI veteran is a bunch of cr*p, though.

Take it up with the Belgian government.
Libertas
Atlas Icon
Finland

« Reply #5 on: December 22, 2009, 09:53:24 PM »

Why? Wars, just like nations, don't have perfectly delineated borders.

Actually, they do. There are dates marking when a war started and ended. Thus only people who served in a warring nation's armed forces between 1914 and 1918 (or whenever a particular country entered that war--has to be between 1914 and 1918 for WWI htough) are considered veterans of that war.

Uh, dates are arbitrary too.
Pages: [1]  
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies