Northeast Assembly Thread (user search)
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
May 17, 2024, 05:41:53 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Atlas Fantasy Elections
  Atlas Fantasy Government
  Regional Governments (Moderators: Southern Senator North Carolina Yankee, Lumine)
  Northeast Assembly Thread (search mode)
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6
Author Topic: Northeast Assembly Thread  (Read 389357 times)
Dr. Cynic
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: -4.11, S: -6.09

« Reply #75 on: December 23, 2009, 02:45:36 AM »

Move to adjourn!
Dr. Cynic
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #76 on: December 27, 2009, 08:04:05 PM »

Mr. Speaker, if I may:

I would like to offer forward my recommendation of our former Speaker, Mr. Smid, to Governor Andrew CT for the position of Lt. Governor.
Dr. Cynic
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #77 on: December 27, 2009, 10:19:29 PM »

Mr. Speaker, I have no issues with Rep. Hamilton's voting method proposal, so I'd like to second it.
Dr. Cynic
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #78 on: December 29, 2009, 09:11:11 PM »

Smid
Dr. Cynic
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #79 on: December 30, 2009, 09:11:37 PM »

I'm putting forward a couple of slight, but important (at least to me) edits.

Anti-Discrimination Act

1. The Northeast Government pledges to uphold the rights of all citizens regardless of race, gender, class, sexuality, size, ethnicity, religion, and disability status.
2. The Northeast Government will hereby refuse government contracts to any company or organization which is found to discriminate on the basis of race, gender, class, sexuality, size, ethnicity, religion, and disability status.
3. The Northeast Government, in hiring, and in representation, shall not discriminate on the basis of race, gender, class, sexuality, size, ethnicity, religion, and disability status.
Dr. Cynic
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #80 on: December 31, 2009, 12:41:42 PM »

If my amendment is not friendly, I will not vote for this bill.
Dr. Cynic
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #81 on: December 31, 2009, 02:33:27 PM »

Agreed that "socioeconomic status" is preferred to "class."

Agreed with this.

I will not withdraw my amendment, and would like to second the motion made by Rep. Antonio.
Dr. Cynic
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #82 on: January 02, 2010, 09:53:53 AM »

Aye
Aye
Nay
Aye
Dr. Cynic
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #83 on: January 02, 2010, 01:11:16 PM »

Note to Moderate: if you want this bill to exist, vote nay on the first two amendments.

taking bill a hostage

Saving a bill from being destroyed by kooks.

In what way am I a kook for including size? There is evidence that large people like myself are discriminated against in the workplace. By the way, I don't see why my size makes me any different if I can do the job. I do this job, don't I? I also probably make more money than you on the outside world, since I earn more than 300,000 dollars a year before taxes. So, tell me why if a large person can't do the job they shouldn't be included.

Oh, if you table this bill, I'm sure I'll find a way with my fellow sane Reps to work around your obstructionsit policies.
Dr. Cynic
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #84 on: January 02, 2010, 01:12:59 PM »

I don't need to have sympathy for overeaters, let alone have the government not work with those who don't hire a huge person. Next we know the government is going to have to super size everything.

This is not about sympathy, but about justice.

Size and smell are both choices.

Lose weight and take a shower.

Obesity is an illness.

An illness one brings upon oneself by making poor personal choices. There are consequences to be faced. A company shouldn't be forced to bear the burden because a potential employee can't fit through their front door.

In the case you didn't knew that, overeating isn't always the cause of obesity.

This bill says size, not obesity. Some companies mightnot even own equipment these big/tall/short people can operate. Obesity is a choice. If it is causedby someother precondition, it would already be covered by disability. This is a useless and dangerous addition brought up by special interests.

Special interests = Looking out for one's own. Sort of like you do. So, go ahead and table the bill when the vote is finished.
Dr. Cynic
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #85 on: January 02, 2010, 01:36:47 PM »

No, you are trying to make a "poor me, I'm fat" and I findit absolutely sickening. If youthink discrimination against fat people is a problem, write a bill to combat the problem of obesity. We shouldn't accept unsightliness and unhealthiness as "okay" when it is a serious problem. It's not "okay" to be obese. Not only that, but size, again, can mean anything and I already explained why that is a problem.

How can you have a -7 social score and pretend to tell everybody what is "okay" and what is not ?

The issue of approving unhealthy behavior has what to do with social score?

This debate is pointless at this point. No one is going to change their mind, the bill will be tabled, and we will move on to new business. Now, as it pertains to obesity, I don't really care if it is unsightly to you or not. I'm not concerned with attracting Mr. Hamilton. I am however concerned with getting overweight people equal oppertunity to jobs they've applied to. Now, if the employer feels they are not right for the job based on merits, I say don't hire 'em. If they are derelict after they are hired, fire 'em. But if you can do a job, there's no reason not to allow them or anyone else to work.

So, I will await, the Speaker's closing of the vote and for the bill to be tabled and I will enjoy the show it brings.
Dr. Cynic
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #86 on: January 02, 2010, 01:56:55 PM »

No, you are trying to make a "poor me, I'm fat" and I findit absolutely sickening. If youthink discrimination against fat people is a problem, write a bill to combat the problem of obesity. We shouldn't accept unsightliness and unhealthiness as "okay" when it is a serious problem. It's not "okay" to be obese. Not only that, but size, again, can mean anything and I already explained why that is a problem.

How can you have a -7 social score and pretend to tell everybody what is "okay" and what is not ?

The issue of approving unhealthy behavior has what to do with social score?

This debate is pointless at this point. No one is going to change their mind, the bill will be tabled, and we will move on to new business. Now, as it pertains to obesity, I don't really care if it is unsightly to you or not. I'm not concerned with attracting Mr. Hamilton. I am however concerned with getting overweight people equal oppertunity to jobs they've applied to. Now, if the employer feels they are not right for the job based on merits, I say don't hire 'em. If they are derelict after they are hired, fire 'em. But if you can do a job, there's no reason not to allow them or anyone else to work.

So, I will await, the Speaker's closing of the vote and for the bill to be tabled and I will enjoy the show it brings.

So should sumo wrestler organizations be forced to hire thin people?

I've seen thin sumo wrestlers actually.
Dr. Cynic
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #87 on: January 03, 2010, 03:09:05 PM »

Mr. Speaker,

Today, I have been offered an acting job that will send me to New York for five months. I will still be able to keep up with the forum, but during that time, I will be working long and unpredictable hours which will completely effect any kind of service I could bring.

Regrettably, I have enjoyed this service, but I must resign. I want to thank the members of the Assembly for making me feel at home and for helping me get back in the swing of things. I will be back soon.

Adios for now, folks.
Dr. Cynic
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #88 on: January 03, 2010, 03:16:01 PM »

Mr. Speaker,

Today, I have been offered an acting job that will send me to New York for five months. I will still be able to keep up with the forum, but during that time, I will be working long and unpredictable hours which will completely effect any kind of service I could bring.

Regrettably, I have enjoyed this service, but I must resign. I want to thank the members of the Assembly for making me feel at home and for helping me get back in the swing of things. I will be back soon.

Adios for now, folks.

Congratulations - in the real world!  In Atlasia, thank you for your service!  I'm sorry to see you go.  I will inform the Governor.

Thanks. Just can't pass up a chance like this..

Thank you all for your service. I hope to return and serve with you all again.
Dr. Cynic
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #89 on: January 17, 2010, 03:16:41 PM »

Agreed. 24 hours is just too short.

Amendment 1: Aye

Amendment 2: Aye
Dr. Cynic
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #90 on: January 18, 2010, 02:51:49 PM »

This will probably be deleted, but I will reflect this in the vote count regardless of what the mods do.

I can confirm if needed I saw these votes.
Dr. Cynic
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #91 on: January 18, 2010, 04:29:38 PM »

Aye
Dr. Cynic
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #92 on: January 19, 2010, 03:51:46 PM »

Rep. Antonio, I'm afraid I don't understand your amendment one.

Are you saying that the companies that do the research would have to get permission from the large corporation they are testing for? Somehow that does seem kinda redundant. However, if I'm misunderstanding, please correct me.
Dr. Cynic
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #93 on: January 21, 2010, 03:12:55 PM »

Aye
Dr. Cynic
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #94 on: January 21, 2010, 04:39:37 PM »

I really can't understand why opponents to this bill are voting nay to my Amenment, since it aims to make the bill less tough...

Likely due to the fact that they oppose the bill in general.
Dr. Cynic
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #95 on: January 21, 2010, 09:14:09 PM »

I really can't understand why opponents to this bill are voting nay to my Amenment, since it aims to make the bill less tough...

Likely due to the fact that they oppose the bill in general.

Pretty much - or oppose any ban on animal testing.  Why give the bill a better chance to pass?

Even some regulations?

Not everything in the world needs to be regulated by the government.  Organizations can regulate themselves or whistleblowers can raise their concerns with the pubic, who need not buy products of unethical companies. 

It would seem to me, Mr. Speaker, that animal testing would be one of the things that SHOULD be regulated. Given it involves living things.
Dr. Cynic
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #96 on: January 22, 2010, 02:26:15 AM »

Abstain
Dr. Cynic
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #97 on: January 22, 2010, 11:20:59 PM »

The bill is a good one, however, I do not support a complete ban on animal testing. I do support regulations on it, however.

The rest of the bill is fine.
Dr. Cynic
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #98 on: January 24, 2010, 05:28:33 PM »

Aye
Dr. Cynic
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #99 on: January 25, 2010, 03:45:54 PM »

Northeast Anti-Obese Discriminatory Act

1. The Northeast officially takes the position of non-discrimination for all classes, creeds, and sexes.

2. The Northeast also recognizes the discrimination of those who struggle with issues of obesity.

3. All businesses are required to fair and equal treatment of any obese or otherwise disabled individual.

4. Airlines that charge obese passengers for two seats on any flight within the northeast are required to provide the two seats to that passenger.

5. Obese individuals shall henceforth recieve receive equal treatment and service within any Northeastern business establishment.

Sponsor: Rep. Doctor Cynic
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6  
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies