Raising Minimum Smoking Age (user search)
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
May 17, 2024, 11:43:17 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  Political Debate (Moderator: Torie)
  Raising Minimum Smoking Age (search mode)
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: Raising Minimum Smoking Age  (Read 7415 times)
Oakvale
oakvale
Atlas Icon
Ukraine
Political Matrix
E: -0.77, S: -4.00

« on: March 20, 2015, 09:18:34 AM »

A lot of nanny state horror in this thread.

it should be noted that over 10% of deaths due to smoking are from secondhand smoke, so the "well i'm just hurting myself, who cares" argument is bullsht.

now, unless you have a different argument than "i have the freedom to shove tar into my lungs at top speed and nobody can stop me ≧ʍ≦" i'll be leaving this thread

Uh what? 10% of deaths? Fucking hell, that's impressive considering we live in an age where indoor smoking bans are the norm and the average person can easily go through their day without being exposed to "secondhand smoke" at all.
Oakvale
oakvale
Atlas Icon
Ukraine
Political Matrix
E: -0.77, S: -4.00

« Reply #1 on: March 20, 2015, 10:40:16 AM »

A lot of nanny state horror in this thread.

it should be noted that over 10% of deaths due to smoking are from secondhand smoke, so the "well i'm just hurting myself, who cares" argument is bullsht.

now, unless you have a different argument than "i have the freedom to shove tar into my lungs at top speed and nobody can stop me ≧ʍ≦" i'll be leaving this thread

Uh what? 10% of deaths? Fucking hell, that's impressive considering we live in an age where indoor smoking bans are the norm and the average person can easily go through their day without being exposed to "secondhand smoke" at all.

Dude, he did say "10% of deaths due to smoking." Not that that doesn't sound about 75% like a made-up statistic, but it's not like the dire health effects of smoking typically occur immediately, so an actual decline in health problems due to secondhand smoke exposure might not be seen for quite a while considering how normal it used to be for current olds.

Yes, the typo's my fault - I meant to italicise 10% rather than deaths. I was not under the impression that he was claiming that 10% of all human deaths worldwide were attributable to secondhand smoke. That would go from being merely impressive to jawdropping.

It's clearly a nonsense statistic but in any event it's a risk that's greatly decreased in most of the Western World given changing social expectations. I'm not sure why Butafly thinks that that's an argument for banning smoking entirely rather than simply in workplaces etc, etc.
Pages: [1]  
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies