Katie Hill contemplated suicide after her resignation
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
May 27, 2024, 07:31:28 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  U.S. General Discussion (Moderators: The Dowager Mod, Chancellor Tanterterg)
  Katie Hill contemplated suicide after her resignation
« previous next »
Pages: [1] 2 3
Author Topic: Katie Hill contemplated suicide after her resignation  (Read 4430 times)
Landslide Lyndon
px75
Atlas Star
Greece

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: December 08, 2019, 02:15:38 PM »
« edited: December 08, 2019, 02:18:44 PM by Landslide Lyndon »

https://www.nytimes.com/2019/12/07/opinion/sunday/katie-hill-resignation.html

The bath water had gone cold. The wine bottle was empty. Suddenly and with total clarity, I just wanted it all to be over. I got up and looked for the box cutter. I couldn’t find it. A part of my brain was saying: “Stop it, this is stupid. You’re not going to do it. Go drain the bathtub and get yourself together.” But I felt like I was out of my body, like it was moving without me, and I got the paring knife and got back into the cold bath.

I stared at the veins in my wrists. They were so thin. They were green in the candlelight. I started tracing them with the edge of the knife, lightly at first, then pushing harder and harder. The knife was duller than I thought. It surprised me how hard I had to push simply to scratch the surface. Fine red lines started to appear, and I knew that if I pushed just a tiny bit harder I would start to bleed. I thought about the people I had already let down so much. What would this do to my parents? To my brother and sister?

Penn_Quaker_Girl
Junior Chimp
India

Political Matrix
E: 0.10, S: 0.06

« Reply #1 on: December 08, 2019, 02:33:39 PM »

Geez.  Politics aside and speaking just as a human and someone who wants to dedicate herself to the health and well-being of others, I hope that she gets herself some help.  
Hindsight was 2020
Hindsight is 2020
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #2 on: December 08, 2019, 05:34:26 PM »

Her ex-husband is a scumbag
wesmoorenerd
westroopnerd
United States

Political Matrix
E: -5.16, S: -7.13

« Reply #3 on: December 08, 2019, 06:23:52 PM »

Kenny Heslep is going to hell.

Katie Hill was done a disservice by the flawed society in which we live. I hope in the end she's vindicated and comes back stronger than ever.
Progressive Pessimist
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix
E: -6.71, S: -7.65

« Reply #4 on: December 08, 2019, 06:53:17 PM »

I wish her all the best going forward, and I hope she can help others like her and better our society in whatever ways she can.
Yellowhammer
United States

« Reply #5 on: December 08, 2019, 07:01:28 PM »

Katie Hill was done a disservice by the flawed society in which we live. I hope in the end she's vindicated and comes back stronger than ever.

Lmao
Libertas Vel Mors
Haley/Ryan
YaBB God
United States

Political Matrix
E: 9.03, S: -0.17

« Reply #6 on: December 08, 2019, 07:02:22 PM »

Lmao

C'mon man
No War, but the War on Christmas
iBizzBee
Junior Chimp

« Reply #7 on: December 08, 2019, 07:27:34 PM »

As someone whose been there personally and struggled with severe depression in the past, I hope she’s able to get the treatment she deserves and anyone would need after what she’s been through.
Atlas Has Shrugged
ChairmanSanchez
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix
E: 5.29, S: -5.04

« Reply #8 on: December 08, 2019, 07:59:13 PM »

I thought her resignation was appropriate, but the leaking of her nudes by her ex-husband was a huge douche move that should not only be illegal, but also stridently punished. It was grotesque what he did to her. I can't stress how pathetic and small it makes him look.

Like Jason Kander, I hope she overcomes this. I'd never vote for her based on policy or pity, but I am for some reason rooting for her....I guess that's because I don't live in her district Tongue
Indy Texas
independentTX
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: 0.52, S: -3.48

« Reply #9 on: December 08, 2019, 08:11:45 PM »

I hope she gets the help she needs before she hurts herself or does something she regrets.

I don't think it's wise for her to discuss this publicly until she's worked through it, collected herself and moved past this.
Person Man
Angry_Weasel
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #10 on: December 08, 2019, 11:00:42 PM »

I thought her resignation was appropriate, but the leaking of her nudes by her ex-husband was a huge douche move that should not only be illegal, but also stridently punished. It was grotesque what he did to her. I can't stress how pathetic and small it makes him look.

Like Jason Kander, I hope she overcomes this. I'd never vote for her based on policy or pity, but I am for some reason rooting for her....I guess that's because I don't live in her district Tongue

If anyone deserves a bag of door knobs over the head, its it's her ex.
lfromnj
Atlas Politician
Atlas Icon

« Reply #11 on: December 08, 2019, 11:29:01 PM »
« Edited: December 08, 2019, 11:58:05 PM by Deluded retread Vice Chair LFROMNJ »

Damn I hope she can help herself get better including her possible alcoholism and her ex husband.
Xing
xingkerui
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix
E: -6.52, S: -3.91

P P P
« Reply #12 on: December 08, 2019, 11:30:02 PM »

Hope she gets help and can recover from this. My feelings about her own actions aside, her ex-husband is a horrible person.
Badger
badger
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #13 on: December 09, 2019, 03:16:47 AM »

Lmao

C'mon man

He's clearly not a man.
Sir Mohamed
MohamedChalid
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #14 on: December 09, 2019, 03:41:52 AM »
« Edited: December 09, 2019, 03:47:06 AM by Sir Mohamed »

She was bullied out of office with a double standard for women. This is all too unfortunate and I hope she'll get well soon.
emailking
Atlas Icon
« Reply #15 on: December 09, 2019, 08:43:38 AM »

I don't think she should have resigned. A relationship with a staffer to me is not a bad thing in and of itself, unless there was harassment involved.

From that description, it sounds like she was just teasing suicide in her mind. I think a lot of people have tested suicide like that, e.g. taking out a bottle of pills, walking near the edge of a building, with no intention of making an attempt. I hope she can get over that as it's a pretty bad feeling.
gottsu
Poland

« Reply #16 on: December 09, 2019, 09:00:09 AM »

Betty Ford got into drinking binge after her husband lost 1976 election, and her family convinced her for a year and a half that she should go into rehab.

Very ugly side of politics. My best wishes for Hill and her relatives.

I spent the winter writing songs about getting better
BRTD
Atlas Prophet
Ukraine

Political Matrix
E: -6.50, S: -6.67

P P
« Reply #17 on: December 09, 2019, 11:16:43 AM »

This entire scandal already reminded me Eric Massa's abrupt resignation in 2010. Hill's state of mind as described in this story sounds a lot like his account:

Five days ago, on the morning of March 5, 2010, Eric Massa called me and told me he had tried to kill himself. Tried twice, in fact. He said it happened while he was driving alone from Washington, D. C., to Corning, a disgraced congressman returning home to his district for good, and two times during the haul, he said, he had to pull over to keep from... well.

[...]

I had met Massa four years ago when I wrote about the financial hardship that running for Congress causes someone who has no wealth.

Lack of independent means seems to have been a factor for Hill as well.

Massa was way less sympathetic though. Hill behaved inappropriately with her staffer but the way she was treated by her ex-husband and the media was way worse and made her more the victim than the victimizer.

Massa was just a straight up sexual predator.
Sprouts Farmers Market ✘
Sprouts
Atlas Icon
Italy

Political Matrix
E: -4.90, S: 1.74

« Reply #18 on: December 09, 2019, 11:59:07 AM »

I would imagine the anti-Christian sexual deviant can be with him for eternity after all.
Dr Oz Lost Party!
PittsburghSteel
Atlas Icon
United States

P P
« Reply #19 on: December 09, 2019, 12:03:44 PM »

I am not religious, but it's at times like this that I do really hope that there is a hell so that people like Kenny Heslep can rot in it for eternity.
Beet
Atlas Star

« Reply #20 on: December 09, 2019, 12:40:07 PM »

I'll show my respect to Rep. Hill by supporting the person she wants to succeed her on the ticket. (Which does not include a misogynistic grifter from another district with the initials C.U.).
emailking
Atlas Icon
« Reply #21 on: December 09, 2019, 12:53:57 PM »

I am not religious, but it's at times like this that I do really hope that there is a hell so that people like Kenny Heslep can rot in it for eternity.

I don't think there should be infinite punishment for finite crimes, if such a thing is even possible.
MASHED POTATOES. VOTE!
Kalwejt
Atlas Institution

« Reply #22 on: December 09, 2019, 03:47:49 PM »

She'd been throught a lot. The whole thing is sad on so many levels.
Progressive Pessimist
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix
E: -6.71, S: -7.65

« Reply #23 on: December 09, 2019, 06:48:38 PM »
« Edited: December 10, 2019, 07:12:25 PM by Progressive Pessimist »

This entire scandal already reminded me Eric Massa's abrupt resignation in 2010. Hill's state of mind as described in this story sounds a lot like his account:

Five days ago, on the morning of March 5, 2010, Eric Massa called me and told me he had tried to kill himself. Tried twice, in fact. He said it happened while he was driving alone from Washington, D. C., to Corning, a disgraced congressman returning home to his district for good, and two times during the haul, he said, he had to pull over to keep from... well.

[...]

I had met Massa four years ago when I wrote about the financial hardship that running for Congress causes someone who has no wealth.

Lack of independent means seems to have been a factor for Hill as well.

Massa was way less sympathetic though. Hill behaved inappropriately with her staffer but the way she was treated by her ex-husband and the media was way worse and made her more the victim than the victimizer.

Massa was just a straight up sexual predator.

I completely forgot that Massa even existed up until this point. We sure have been through a lot this decade.
John Dule
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: 6.57, S: -7.50

P P P
« Reply #24 on: December 09, 2019, 09:50:30 PM »

If a male Republican representative had potentially coerced a female staffer into this kind of sexual relationship, and he was contemplating suicide, Atlas would not be nearly this sympathetic.
Pages: [1] 2 3  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies