Who won the Debate? (user search)
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
May 21, 2024, 02:59:14 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Election Archive
  Election Archive
  2012 Elections
  Who won the Debate? (search mode)
Pages: [1]
Poll
Question: Who won it?
Biden

Ryan

Show Pie Chart
Partisan results

Total Voters: 177

Author Topic: Who won the Debate?  (Read 15227 times)
Okay, maybe Mike Johnson is a competent parliamentarian.
Nathan
Moderators
Atlas Superstar

« on: October 11, 2012, 11:11:30 PM »

Can we as a forum agree that the viewers won insofar as this furnished simply a much more dynamic, interesting, and for lack of a better phrase real-seeming ninety minutes than last week?
Nathan
Moderators
Atlas Superstar

« Reply #1 on: October 12, 2012, 08:49:48 AM »

Remember that CBS was the only poll of undecided voters specifically, and had Biden up by a fairly significant margin (not as good as Romney's last week, though).
Nathan
Moderators
Atlas Superstar

« Reply #2 on: October 12, 2012, 09:43:18 AM »

Look I'm no Biden fan, but when that debate was over I thought Biden won. When the poll results came in my mouth dropped. I sat their scratching my head for a while.

Then slowly the rationale started coming out. Women! The story of the night is that women felt that he had gone so, so, so far overboard in his behavior that they couldn't stand it which resulted in a bit of a stalemate.

I wouldn't think that women would have seen things so completely differently than I did. Apparently they did see it differently and this site is basically one large sausage fest. That could be your answer as to why your seeing some GOP posters saying that Biden won on here, but a different result outside of here.

The apparent conclusion to draw from this: A few interruptions = net bonus. Go overboard with that and add some condescension and women apparently think you're an A-hole(but less so men).  Learn something new everyday. They'll probably be some obscure manual/book written by a consultant about this and disseminated to the all the political consultancy firms for a high price after this election. Hell it may even quantity the exact amount of interruptions one should engage in(focus group tested of course) and how many seconds of condescension a politician should practice in a single debate.

PS: If women really did dislike Biden's performance a lot than under the surface that's a little bit rough for Dems. That would mean that they have turned in 2 debate performances that women disliked.

Come to think of it, this seems possible, although most of the women in my life, who tend to be what was referred to as 'brassy' back when people called women 'brassy', didn't have this reaction. A little depressing, because 'tone arguments' are almost always depressing, but possible.
Nathan
Moderators
Atlas Superstar

« Reply #3 on: October 12, 2012, 10:35:15 AM »

Remember that CBS was the only poll of undecided voters specifically, and had Biden up by a fairly significant margin (not as good as Romney's last week, though).

So, Ryan won both polls of the general electorate?

Winning by losing is an interesting position to take!

The debate viewership was Republican enough that Ryan's narrow 'victory' within it could be easily construed as a tie or narrow 'defeat' if one were inclined to the sort of reweighting that you guys were engaging heavily in when Obama was significantly ahead nationwide. As it is, I really don't see the (electoral) relevance of who 'won' the debate in the minds of people whose intended vote is already decided anyway.
Pages: [1]  
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies