Should we legalize (ill.) drugs and use the tax revenue to fund drug education? (user search)
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
May 21, 2024, 12:38:03 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  Individual Politics (Moderator: The Dowager Mod)
  Should we legalize (ill.) drugs and use the tax revenue to fund drug education? (search mode)
Pages: [1]
Poll
Question: Should we legalize drugs that are currently illegal and use the tax revenue (that comes from legalizing drugs) to fund drug education?
Yes

No

Show Pie Chart
Partisan results

Total Voters: 42

Author Topic: Should we legalize (ill.) drugs and use the tax revenue to fund drug education?  (Read 2155 times)
Cory
YaBB God

« on: August 31, 2015, 05:55:41 PM »
« edited: August 31, 2015, 11:18:36 PM by Cory »

For pot, sure. But otherwise no. Heroin/Cocaine/LSD etc. are legitimately dangerous and should never be legal.

Yeah, no.  Cocaine and LSD aren't anywhere near a strong a presented in the mainstream media. DXM in cough medicine is much stronger than LSD for instance and Cocaine doesn't get you anywhere near a ed up as alcohol. All because someone had a certain effect in Hollywood movies doesn't mean it's real. I mean c'mon these are the same people who have a "stoner" character having vivid hallucinations, which everyone knows is just silly.

To compare either of those to heroin is just silly.
Cory
YaBB God

« Reply #1 on: September 04, 2015, 05:28:19 PM »

No. People who sincerely believe drug normalization and legalization would sap drug cartels and erase the phenomenon overnight don't have their fingers on the pulse of reality. There is no fundamental distinction to be made whether one purchases drugs from a seasoned criminal or a licensed vendor; the social costs remain very much the same. I am convinced, if drugs are made legal, we will be reminded of why they were made illegal. A drug dealer in a suit and tie is a drug dealer nonetheless.

Yeah, no.

It's like you're pretending the societal consequences of having a black market don't exist. Even if someone was against weed you still have to understand that the problems are only made worse with prohibition.

As for the person who said that MJ should be illegal basically because it's "just as bad for you as smoking cigarettes", that's just asinine. As if people going to jail and having a criminal record over this nonsense and the establishment of a illegal black market with smuggling, robbery, and gang-profiteering somehow isn't a "compelling reason to change the status quo".
Cory
YaBB God

« Reply #2 on: September 08, 2015, 08:20:46 AM »

You say that as if people don't have the option not to purchase illegal drugs. If an individual can't be bothered to settle on a legal alternative, that's a roll of the dice they'll have to take. The conventional wisdom is that fewer people will do drugs if they're illegal. I'm not certain I wish to know if it's true or not. I accept the finding among some that use will rise if drugs are legalized.

You don't know what you're talking about. You really think that it's better for people to drink than smoke weed? Have you ever done either? (spoiler alert: drinking gets you much more intoxicated then weed) You seriously believe all the aforementioned social costs are worth it for some percentage of people to not do drugs?

Is this really how you think?

Pages: [1]  
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies