Atlas Ministry of Purity Crimes Self-Reporting Thread (user search)
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
May 20, 2024, 03:23:26 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Forum Community
  Forum Community (Moderators: The Dowager Mod, YE, KoopaDaQuick 🇵🇸)
  Atlas Ministry of Purity Crimes Self-Reporting Thread (search mode)
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: Atlas Ministry of Purity Crimes Self-Reporting Thread  (Read 18398 times)
Oak Hills
United States

« on: January 25, 2015, 10:26:09 PM »
« edited: January 25, 2015, 10:33:55 PM by Oak Hills »

Why has nobody ever proposed using "it" as a neutral pronoun? I mean, that's exactly what it is, the singular neutral pronoun! English is lucky enough to actually have it, so why not use it when you're referring to an unspecified person? I guess the reason is that "it" is usually used to refer to inanimate objects and that it has assumed a bit of a negative connotation, but I still think it's preferable to contrived alternatives like "(s)he", or "they".

Actually, using they in the singular is not contrived at all.  It comes naturally to most first-language English-speakers, and is attested in English as far back as the fifteenth century, iirc.  In fact, I'd argue that at this point he in the gender-neutral sense feels more contrived than singular they to the majority of first-language English-speakers, never mind she, he or she, ey, or whatever else somebody comes up with.  It would simply never work for the reasons politicus outlined.

Loving the way this thread has evolved btw.
Pages: [1]  
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies