SA/A/D/SD (user search)
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
May 16, 2024, 09:40:32 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  Individual Politics (Moderator: The Dowager Mod)
  SA/A/D/SD (search mode)
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: SA/A/D/SD  (Read 28850 times)
ilikeverin
Atlas Politician
Atlas Icon
Timor-Leste

« on: August 08, 2005, 02:06:34 PM »

1.) Felons and those in jail should have the same voting rights as all other citizens.

A (undecided, really, but I feel like being positive Wink + Tongue)

2.) Ex-felons should have the same voting rights as all other citizens.

A

3.) In general, people are just too obsessed with sex.

SA

4.) We would all be a lot better off if people followed the Golden Rule.

A

5.) The government's main responsibility should be to keep order.

D

6.) Music and the arts are essential for a community to flourish and should be funded by the government.

(lean) D

7.) The right to revolution in the New Hampshire state constitution is a good thing that all states should have.

SD

8.) Improvement of the human race through eugenics should be a goal of the government.

SD

9.) A Department of Peace should be added to the presidential administration.

SD (sounds like meaningless federal bureaucracy)

10.) The voting age should be lowered to 16.

D

11.) Immigration is one of the worst problems the United States faces.

SD

12.) The government should not have any business with people's library records, gun purchases, or credit card use.

D (hardline anti-gun stance outweighs the other two)

13.) Restrictions on cellphone wiretapping should be loosened.

SD

14.) Criticism of religions such as Christianity and Islam are not protected by free speech.

SD

15.) The drinking age should be lowered or abolished.

D
ilikeverin
Atlas Politician
Atlas Icon
Timor-Leste

« Reply #1 on: August 08, 2005, 08:08:10 PM »

You must be logged in to read this quote.
Sauvé v. Canada was not, in my opinion, correctly decided. Section 3 of the Charter of Rights cannot be interpreted in a vacuum; the right to vote granted there is not absolute, as Section 1 explicitly provides.

I think you live in a vacuum, Emsworth Tongue

This is not to be offensive.  Please do not take offense :-(
ilikeverin
Atlas Politician
Atlas Icon
Timor-Leste

« Reply #2 on: August 08, 2005, 08:10:30 PM »

Sauvé v. Canada was not, in my opinion, correctly decided. Section 3 of the Charter of Rights cannot be interpreted in a vacuum; the right to vote granted there is not absolute, as Section 1 explicitly provides.

I think you live in a vacuum, Emsworth Tongue

This is not to be offensive. Please do not take offense :-(

That insult sucks, ILV. Wink

It does, until you realize IT'S TRUE! Shocked

I shall even make a diagram.
ilikeverin
Atlas Politician
Atlas Icon
Timor-Leste

« Reply #3 on: August 08, 2005, 08:23:18 PM »

IT ALL MAKES SENSE NOW
ilikeverin
Atlas Politician
Atlas Icon
Timor-Leste

« Reply #4 on: August 08, 2005, 08:39:25 PM »

AAAH! Of all people to represent me, you had to choose an actor?

I just searched 'India'.

And I thought he looked vaguely familiar.  Isn't he that guy from Crossing Jordan?

Now you're Manmohan Singh.  Would you rather be someone else?
ilikeverin
Atlas Politician
Atlas Icon
Timor-Leste

« Reply #5 on: August 12, 2005, 12:22:40 PM »

Giving people more weapons is not the solution to these problems. You will only create a society of fear by weaponizing everyone. Mace is a great alternative to firearms I think.

The only people who have to fear when law abiding citizens are armed are the criminals who would seek to harm them. I swear, gun-control advocates often act as if putting a gun in someone's hand will make them a berserk killer or something. Roll Eyes

It could if they're already prone to going berserk, but they happen to have a gun on them when they go beserk Tongue as was the case of some murder last year in Minneapolis.  No, I cannot remember when/where this was, so I can't provide any evidence.

Oh, and there was also a murder of some bouncer by a guy with a concealed gun this year Tongue (at least, I think it was concealed; I'm about 95% sure it was legal)

I'd also like you to explain it to me why gun ownership in the US has been going up(along with an increased amount of concealed carry states) while crime in the US has gone down over the last decade.

For one, that fails to account for people who have multiple guns (I can't fathom a reason why you'd actually want to collect guns, but Roll Eyes)

For two, that figrue most likely includes guns that would not be used for crime (hunting, etc.)

However, I see no reason why the two must be correlated.  The population increased in the last decade, while crime in the US has gone down!  Internet use has increased in the last decade, while crime in the US has gone down!  They must be related!

One could attribute the decreasing crime rate to the generally increasing level of US education (right? Tongue), or the fact that the US had a generally prosperous economy in the '90s, making socioeconomic indicators of a high crime rate go down.

Besides, 'crime rate', just like 'guns', is much too vague.  What are the statistics for murder and rape like?

I'm sure you can easily explain off my concerns and provide a million more graphs, but I feel like making a pithy attempt to at least provide some argument for gun control Tongue
ilikeverin
Atlas Politician
Atlas Icon
Timor-Leste

« Reply #6 on: August 13, 2005, 01:34:14 PM »

Quote from: Restricted
There was a little kid that was on the news a few months ago because he was interested in politics. And there are a lot of 18 year olds who aren't adequately informed on political issues either.

Okay, so the news decided to do a story on the 0.000001% of little kids who are actually interested in politics (note that "interested" does not necessarily translate into "informed").  How does this justify allowing the uninformed 99.999999% to vote?
He asked me a question and I answered it. I don't think people should have to wait until they are 18 to be able to vote. As long as they are informed about the election. I do think that the age to vote should be around 12, not 5.

Well, why reduce it to only 12, and not to 5, if we want to let all informed people vote?

Can anyone see the politicians pandering for the votes of little kids?

"If elected, I'll have ice cream served free with your school lunch!"
"Well if you elect me, I'll have cake served in class daily!"

Grin

A big issue in my school in 2000 was that Gore supposedly wanted school uniforms Tongue
Pages: [1]  
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies