What's wrong with Boston?
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
May 18, 2024, 11:12:22 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  U.S. General Discussion (Moderators: The Dowager Mod, Chancellor Tanterterg)
  What's wrong with Boston?
« previous next »
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: What's wrong with Boston?  (Read 2462 times)
dead0man
Atlas Legend
United States

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: January 12, 2008, 06:26:12 AM »

First the mayor wants to block CVS's from opening up medical clinics inside their stores because, as he says,
Quote from: Restricted
You must be logged in to read this quote.
Ahh, so it's ok if insurance companies, doctors, nurses, other medical professionals, privately owned hospitals, drug companies, etc to make money off of sick people, but not drug stores?  What a douche.  (link)

Second, remember when Adult Swim/ATHF put the light brites up all over Boston and the entire place went ape sh**t?  Yeah, they won't let us forget it.  Boston City Council President Maureen Feeney wants to remind us that not only is the city a haven for fear mongerers, it's also petty.  Feeney wants to make sure the city gets a cut of any money the two wankers that pulled the stunt get from the publicity.  link

I liked Boston better when they had a severe inferiority complex.
Ebowed
Atlas Icon

Political Matrix
E: 4.13, S: 2.09

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #1 on: January 12, 2008, 06:28:15 AM »

The mayor is 100% correct.
dead0man
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #2 on: January 12, 2008, 06:36:29 AM »

Right, because less options are always better.
Ebowed
Atlas Icon

Political Matrix

« Reply #3 on: January 12, 2008, 06:47:05 AM »

Right, because less options are always better.

Funny how in the country with the most "options", so many people can't get the medical care they need because of the profits the industry need to keep making.
dead0man
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #4 on: January 12, 2008, 06:53:50 AM »

So people in the medical field shouldn't make a profit?
Ebowed
Atlas Icon

Political Matrix

« Reply #5 on: January 12, 2008, 06:56:50 AM »

Indeed, in the same way that no one "profits" out of public schools.
dead0man
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #6 on: January 12, 2008, 06:59:30 AM »

But millions of people make a profit on both (some at the same time), where do you draw the line?
John Dibble
Atlas Icon
Japan

« Reply #7 on: January 12, 2008, 08:56:41 AM »

I find these complaints silly.

1. If hygiene is a concern, then just ensure that these limited service clinics are up to the health code mandated for other such places. Hell, CVS runs pharmacies - unless those CVS pharmacies in Boston are not meeting health standards I don't see why he needs to worry about clinics that only treat minor problems.

2. Quality of care lowered? It's not like these places are treating cancer. For stuff like sore throats, headaches, poison ivy, etc. I don't see what they'd do differently from my regular physician for that - say "AH", stick out your tongue, let me take your temperature, let me check your heartbeat. Ok, done, here's a prescription. Seems pretty hard to lower quality of care for that kind of thing given how simple care is for that.

3. A retailer can't make a profit on sick people? I don't see why not, as mentioned they and many others already do! As I said, CVS runs pharmacies - THEY ALREADY MAKE MONEY OFF OF SICK PEOPLE, THEY SELL MEDICINE FOR CRYING OUT LOUD!
Ban my account ffs!
snowguy716
Atlas Star
Austria

« Reply #8 on: January 12, 2008, 10:56:24 AM »

First the mayor wants to block CVS's from opening up medical clinics inside their stores because, as he says,
Ahh, so it's ok if insurance companies, doctors, nurses, other medical professionals, privately owned hospitals, drug companies, etc to make money off of sick people, but not drug stores?  What a douche.  (link)

Second, remember when Adult Swim/ATHF put the light brites up all over Boston and the entire place went ape sh**t?  Yeah, they won't let us forget it.  Boston City Council President Maureen Feeney wants to remind us that not only is the city a haven for fear mongerers, it's also petty.  Feeney wants to make sure the city gets a cut of any money the two wankers that pulled the stunt get from the publicity.  link

I liked Boston better when they had a severe inferiority complex.

There's nothing wrong with Boston.  In fact, I would argue it is one of the cleanest, smartest cities in the country.

And what is the point of having more choices when you can't afford either anyway?
dead0man
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #9 on: January 12, 2008, 11:27:53 AM »

There's nothing wrong with Boston.  In fact, I would argue it is one of the cleanest, smartest cities in the country.
They can be that and be petty, fear mongering, over regulatitive assholes.
Silent Hunter
Junior Chimp
United Kingdom

« Reply #10 on: January 13, 2008, 12:25:20 PM »

I watched The Departed recently. What does everyone have against people from South Boston?
Filuwaúrdjan
Realpolitik
Atlas Institution
United Kingdom

« Reply #11 on: January 13, 2008, 01:39:50 PM »

What does everyone have against people from South Boston?

It's mostly class snobbery, in some form or other.
WalterMitty
Atlas Star

Political Matrix
E: 1.68, S: -2.26

« Reply #12 on: January 13, 2008, 05:50:41 PM »

i dont think anyone really takes mayor tom menino seriously.

he seems a bit...eh...'special'?

nice guy.  tries hard.  just not up to speed.
MODU
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #13 on: January 14, 2008, 10:14:43 AM »

1) CVS:  Yes, you are right.  They should be allowed to run a clinic if it is staffed with licensed professionals.

2) ATHF:  Sorry, but I will have to side with the city on that one.  It created a bomb scare which in turn cost the city a lot of money.  They are entitled to seek compensation.
??????????
StatesRights
Atlas Superstar
Political Matrix
E: 7.61, S: 0.00

« Reply #14 on: January 14, 2008, 04:07:34 PM »
« Edited: January 14, 2008, 04:10:04 PM by States'Raats »

No one profits from public schools? Then explain book fairs, fund raisers, et al.

Regarding to the subject at hand. Boston should consider this a blessing that pharmacies/grocery stores are wanting pharmacies. This helps to relieve the pressure off ER's and walk-in clinics from minor illnesses. It seems to be a plus overall for every party involved.
dead0man
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #15 on: January 14, 2008, 04:42:33 PM »

2) ATHF:  Sorry, but I will have to side with the city on that one.  It created a bomb scare which in turn cost the city a lot of money.  They are entitled to seek compensation.
They've already gotten that compensation.  Time Warner paid them $2million dollars just a few days after it happened and they shouldn't even have done that.  And now this bitch wants to make sure that nobody ever makes another buck off of it?  The authorities in Boston WAY overreacted.  The same ad campaign was used in 10 other cities and none of them went ape sh**t. (cite).  They (Boston) are a joke.  They can't build a tunnel.  They can't beat the Jets without cheating.  Paul Revere would be ashamed.
Cubby
Pim Fortuyn
Junior Chimp
Israel

Political Matrix
E: -3.74, S: -6.96

« Reply #16 on: January 15, 2008, 01:50:43 AM »

I watched The Departed recently. What does everyone have against people from South Boston?

They have the most annoying accent in America (after the Southern/Texan one). Plus, the Red Sox suck and the NY Yankees rule. Pedro Martinez beat up a 70 year old man (Don Zimmer), a crime which cries out for vengence.

But I may be biased.
Gabu
Atlas Star
Canada

Political Matrix
E: -4.32, S: -6.52

« Reply #17 on: January 15, 2008, 01:58:00 AM »

Sure it created a bomb scare; it created a bomb scare borne from idiocy that should never have happened in the first place.  That they wasted money on it was not the organizers' fault.
dead0man
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #18 on: January 15, 2008, 08:52:04 PM »

Damn, nobody can defend Boston properly?  I guess it really is as bad as I presumed.
patrick1
Junior Chimp

« Reply #19 on: January 16, 2008, 12:52:55 AM »

Very wrong.  There are plenty of Union leaders, bureaucrats and contractors making out handsomely on the public school racket. 
dead0man
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #20 on: January 16, 2008, 01:57:42 AM »

...and teachers and bus drivers and janitors and security and book makers and the people that make pencils and construction workers and tax collectors and...

I'm still waiting for him (or anybody else) to come in and explain why they don't think doctors and nurses and teachers should make a "profit".
dead0man
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #21 on: April 16, 2008, 01:35:36 AM »

link
<snicker>

I think they've past Baltimore now.  Look out Detroit and New Orleans!
Pages: [1]  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies