Can we now kill the "momentum" meme?
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
May 15, 2024, 07:34:41 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Election Archive
  Election Archive
  2016 U.S. Presidential Election
  Can we now kill the "momentum" meme?
« previous next »
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: Can we now kill the "momentum" meme?  (Read 584 times)
IceSpear
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix
E: -6.19, S: -6.43

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: March 16, 2016, 03:09:27 AM »

Hillary was supposed to lose NV and fall drastically in SC and the Super Tuesday states after Bernie's crushing NH win. Didn't happen.

Hillary was supposed to win every state but Vermont on Super Tuesday after her win in NV and domination in SC. Nope.

Hillary was supposed to win Michigan easily after romping on Super Tuesday. Negative.

Bernie was supposed to sweep the Midwest after his amazing Michigan miracle and debate win. lol nope

Trump was supposed to be doomed after Iowa.

Rubio was inevitable after finishing 3rd in Iowa.

Rubio was supposed to surge after coming second in SC and emerge as the clear Trump alternative.

Trump's NH/SC/NV wins meant he would win everything except MAYBE Texas on Super Tuesday.

Trump's underperformance in Kansas and Louisiana meant he'd be in trouble in Michigan.

Seriously, it's starting to look like "momentum" is actually a negative indicator.
Lexii, harbinger of chaos and sexual anarchy
Alex
Junior Chimp
Argentina

« Reply #1 on: March 16, 2016, 04:05:53 AM »

Kasichmentuuuuuuuuuummmmm!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Meclazine for Israel
Meclazine
Atlas Icon
Australia

« Reply #2 on: March 16, 2016, 05:34:55 AM »

Thought Bernie was getting a bit of steam up and very surprised he went so bad this week.

Trump missed out on numbers through a lower female demographic. Maybe because of the ads which have gone global, or maybe women in general already knew what he had said.

Cruz really struggling to get any traction in the face of the "Trumpathon".

Trumps momentum will eventually slow. He is like a kid stealing things around a school and bullying other kids.

You can do it for so long, but once we are in a general election and he is asked to attend Principal Clinton's office, he is in big trouble.

She is going to give him the 'cuts'.
MASHED POTATOES. VOTE!
Kalwejt
Atlas Institution

« Reply #3 on: March 16, 2016, 05:40:12 AM »

Seriously, it's starting to look like "momentum" is actually a negative indicator.

I wouldn't generalize. Without his momentum from Iowa win both Kerry and Obama were questionable at best. However, I agree with this particular case that Sanders' upset in Michigan actually empowered Clinton camp.
IceSpear
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix
E: -6.19, S: -6.43

« Reply #4 on: March 16, 2016, 11:17:14 AM »

I wouldn't generalize. Without his momentum from Iowa win both Kerry and Obama were questionable at best. However, I agree with this particular case that Sanders' upset in Michigan actually empowered Clinton camp.

Yeah, momentum was definitely present in past primaries. But in this cycle it's been basically non existent. It's really odd.
Ljube
Junior Chimp
Political Matrix
E: 2.71, S: -6.09

« Reply #5 on: March 16, 2016, 11:22:14 AM »

Yeah, momentum was definitely present in past primaries. But in this cycle it's been basically non existent. It's really odd.

Agreed. The question is why is that? Polarized electorate? Divisive candidates? Frontrunners having 100% name recognition?
DINGO Joe
dingojoe
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #6 on: March 16, 2016, 11:22:44 AM »

I'm still disappointed that there never was a real chance for "Surgio" to enter the campaign lexicon.
Figueira
Atlas Icon

« Reply #7 on: March 16, 2016, 11:25:04 AM »

I think people have stronger allegiences to the candidates in this primary, at least on the Democratic side. Also there's the fact that it's a two-person race, so it's not like voting for the losing candidate is a wasted vote.
Pages: [1]  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies