Should unwilling parents be forced to pay child support if we'll have a UBI? (user search)
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
May 17, 2024, 12:34:46 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  Political Debate (Moderator: Torie)
  Should unwilling parents be forced to pay child support if we'll have a UBI? (search mode)
Pages: [1]
Poll
Question: Should unwilling parents be forced to pay child support if we'll have a UBI?
Yes

No

Show Pie Chart
Partisan results

Total Voters: 25

Author Topic: Should unwilling parents be forced to pay child support if we'll have a UBI?  (Read 2857 times)
Antonio the Sixth
Antonio V
Atlas Institution
United States

Political Matrix
E: -7.87, S: -3.83

P P
« on: July 28, 2016, 04:50:53 AM »

Yes (normal)

After all, children whose custodial parents screw them over (by declining to seek child support from their non-custodial parents) appear to have absolutely no recourse in regards to this. Indeed, it's not like these children can acquire this child support in adulthood!

What the hell is that even supposed to mean?
Antonio the Sixth
Antonio V
Atlas Institution
United States

Political Matrix

P P
« Reply #1 on: July 28, 2016, 03:06:31 PM »

One of the most irritating thing about your posts is that they use ostensibly gender-neutral language while transparently implying that men are victims and women the "abusers". The latest post is beginning to make this explicit, but not yet as much as it should be.
Antonio the Sixth
Antonio V
Atlas Institution
United States

Political Matrix

P P
« Reply #2 on: August 06, 2016, 01:55:08 AM »

I actually am serious that people who support this 'independent individuals who are only as obliged to one another as they want to be' model of the modern family should read What Maisie Knew, by the way. It's actually a much more relevant novel now than when it was written--there's a film adaptation that changes the setting from 1890s London to 2010s New York and shockingly little about the plot or themes has to change with it.

Is the movie a good adaptation? I might be interested.
Antonio the Sixth
Antonio V
Atlas Institution
United States

Political Matrix

P P
« Reply #3 on: August 06, 2016, 06:34:52 AM »

Isn't the amount of child support owed a function of income though? I mean, it would be utterly absurd to ask of Drumpf the same you'd ask of an unemployed guy from a poor neighborhood... right?
Antonio the Sixth
Antonio V
Atlas Institution
United States

Political Matrix

P P
« Reply #4 on: August 06, 2016, 11:22:25 AM »

Isn't the amount of child support owed a function of income though? I mean, it would be utterly absurd to ask of Drumpf the same you'd ask of an unemployed guy from a poor neighborhood... right?

In theory yes. In practice it can get pretty damned unreasonable. There are plenty of aspects of reproductive and family policy that I don't agree with TheDeadFlagBlues on, but the critique that he's lodging of the combination of current child support policies and lack of meaningful family structures in many communities rings true and is a much better argument than 'muh independent individuals, muh men should be able to screw their children too' or whatever.

Definitely. Admittedly I don't know very much on the subject, so I'd rather let you and DFB speak, but I'm convinced that the atrophy and sometimes downright perverse nature of the American welfare state is the root cause for many of the failings ascribed to the "American family".
Pages: [1]  
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies