College Students Are Ridiculously Infuriating Safe-Space/Mega-thread (user search)
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
May 14, 2024, 01:56:08 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  U.S. General Discussion (Moderators: The Dowager Mod, Chancellor Tanterterg)
  College Students Are Ridiculously Infuriating Safe-Space/Mega-thread (search mode)
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: College Students Are Ridiculously Infuriating Safe-Space/Mega-thread  (Read 54596 times)
Mad Deadly Worldwide Communist Gangster Computer God
Just Passion Through
Atlas Legend
Norway

Political Matrix
E: -6.32, S: -7.48

P P P

« on: December 22, 2016, 03:41:19 PM »

Found this last week: UPenn moves portrait of William Shakespeare from English Department because he was a fcking white male
Just Passion Through
Atlas Legend
Norway

Political Matrix

P P P

« Reply #1 on: December 22, 2016, 03:49:48 PM »

Who cares if William Shakespeare is one of the most prominent English writers in history?!  HE WAS A FCKING WHITE MALE!!!!
Just Passion Through
Atlas Legend
Norway

Political Matrix

P P P

« Reply #2 on: December 24, 2016, 04:32:38 PM »

I feel fortunate going to a small college where probably a majority of the student body is quite liberal, but not to the point that they try to "zero platform" everybody they disagree with.  Mike Pence came to my college last October as part of a campaign event, and yeah, there were protests (which I sadly wasn't able to attend because I've been out of the state for the last year), but they were wholesome and peaceful and didn't bring any unwanted controversy or embarrassment to my future alma mater.

I'd even go as far to say that one probably gets a much better educational experience at smaller colleges than those expensive, big-name universities.  But I digress.
Just Passion Through
Atlas Legend
Norway

Political Matrix

P P P

« Reply #3 on: December 28, 2016, 05:04:14 AM »

What a vital issue. The small percentage of kids who value this sh**t over school/partying has swayed my views on politics. I don't care about corruption, money in politics, foreign policy, or economic policy anymore. Clearly this is the most important issue facing our country, and only TRUMP can defeat this threat. I don't care if he kisses Putin's ass or ruins the economy. Those are boring issues, after all.

None of this stuff actually swayed anyone one way or the other this last election.  Most people who voted for Trump have no idea what trigger warnings are or what a safe space is or what Tumblr culture is about, yada yada.  And most of them wouldn't even care because it's pretty much exclusively a 'millennial issue.'  It just gets hyped up on the internet because younger people are much more involved in social media than older folks are.

And of course you don't have to be a Trumpite to think that a lot of what we're seeing on college campuses nowadays is downright silly, or that people as a whole are in some respects just absurdly thin-skinned and that this in turn contributes to the denigration of the political discourse.  It should be laughed at, if anything, because at the end of the day we know it's harmless child's play.

(Or at least it is until it gets to the point where people start deliberately targeting public speakers /writers/college faculty they disagree with and leaking personal information about them or publicly demanding they be fired from their jobs.  But that's still basically a cultural issue and not so much a political one.)
Just Passion Through
Atlas Legend
Norway

Political Matrix

P P P

« Reply #4 on: February 11, 2017, 08:45:00 PM »

This is an old news article I just came across, but it harkens back to what I said earlier about elite colleges: after Trump's win, several Ivy League schools and other highly accredited universities decided it was a good idea to soothe their disappointed liberal students by giving them play dough, coloring books, legos, bubbles, and healing spaces with puppies.

I just... what is there to say to this?  Like, I get how people felt that night.  I felt terrible.  I couldn't sleep.  I needed to take a couple hits off the bong to prevent myself from vomiting.  The days and weeks that followed were extremely unnerving for me because of Trump's win on top of all the other sht I've been dealing with in my life for a very long time.  But these colleges did exactly what the schools in my hometown did after a madman had barged into an elementary school and massacred twenty children.  A massacre.  Not an election gone bad.  And yeah, obviously conservatives like insulating themselves in their own bubbles - people of every ideological persuasion do that to some extent.  But this kind of stuff is just not normal, even for liberal college students: students whose predecessors took to the streets when they were being drafted to fight an unjust war and when Jim Crowe was the law of the land in part of this country.

I'm really trying not to generalize because obviously there has been activism over the last month that has been positive and civil, but there's clearly something wrong when highly respected universities are literally treating their students like infants.  There are future lawyers at these schools being encouraged not to engage with people on the other side of an issue.  Does it really have to be explained why that is a fundamentally bad idea and why it's counterproductive to the goal of having an informed electorate, not to mention the complete opposite of what liberalism is supposed to represent?
Just Passion Through
Atlas Legend
Norway

Political Matrix

P P P

« Reply #5 on: September 21, 2017, 02:02:38 AM »
« Edited: September 21, 2017, 02:07:49 AM by Senator Scott, PPT »

The only safe space 99% of students care about is a safe space to have sex without roommates catching them. Conservatives who whine more about SJWs on tumblr than the environment being destroyed are a joke.
Wrong

I left the left because I was on the wrong end of the SJW cohort in university.  Being pro-choice while accepting life begins at conception made me a "sexist, misogynist" in their eyes.  Also, dare not to try to explain why because then you are exhibiting the "micro aggression of male privilege".

The SJW cohort is real and larger than everyone would want to believe. 

Get laid my man.

In case you were feeling left out, my guy...

Oh so this is a sexuality now.  Cool.

I'm straight but I purposely abstain from both romantic and sexual relationships because I have autism, PTSD, and clinical depression (=bad combo for any relationship).  What's my special flag?
Pages: [1]  
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies