Smaller States Find Outsize Clout Growing in Senate (user search)
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
May 14, 2024, 02:19:55 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  U.S. General Discussion (Moderators: The Dowager Mod, Chancellor Tanterterg)
  Smaller States Find Outsize Clout Growing in Senate (search mode)
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: Smaller States Find Outsize Clout Growing in Senate  (Read 5814 times)
Atlas Has Shrugged
ChairmanSanchez
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix
E: 5.29, S: -5.04

« on: March 12, 2013, 03:40:52 PM »

I love how everyone is ignoring California's 50 Congressmen, compared to Vermonts one Congressman. The Senate and House counterbalance one another. The real reform needed is getting rid of the House's gerrymandering.
Atlas Has Shrugged
ChairmanSanchez
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #1 on: March 12, 2013, 03:43:13 PM »

I take my last post back; only Floridians, New Yorkers, Californians, and Texans should have a voice in American politics...Wink.
Atlas Has Shrugged
ChairmanSanchez
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #2 on: March 12, 2013, 03:52:12 PM »

I love how everyone is ignoring California's 50 Congressmen, compared to Vermonts one Congressman. The Senate and House counterbalance one another. The real reform needed is getting rid of the House's gerrymandering.

They were designed to balance each other, yes, but that was long ago when the differences in population were not this dramatic, and when the size of the House would grow increasingly with time. Since we've capped House size (which is, by the way, the Republican Party's doing), and gerrymandered districts more viciously than ever, the balance is no longer effective.

I would prefer no Senate at all, ideally, but the House being restricted to a capped membership number is one of the biggest immediate problems we could at least realistically solve if we wanted to.
I was unaware that the House size is capped. The current balance of power is fair if somewhat flawed, and should be kept however. The population increase of urban areas does not mean Vermont should have any less influence in the Senate.
Pages: [1]  
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies