Smaller States Find Outsize Clout Growing in Senate (user search)
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
May 13, 2024, 06:29:19 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  U.S. General Discussion (Moderators: The Dowager Mod, Chancellor Tanterterg)
  Smaller States Find Outsize Clout Growing in Senate (search mode)
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: Smaller States Find Outsize Clout Growing in Senate  (Read 5813 times)
Southern Senator North Carolina Yankee
North Carolina Yankee
Moderators
Atlas Institution
United States

« on: March 11, 2013, 07:39:35 PM »

The Senate is suppose to be like that by design.

One man, one vote only applies to legislatures that are designed to be proportional to the population such as the House of Represenatives. The Senate is suppose to represent the interests of the states.

Why am I not surprised that it involves an issue of federal gravy train that brings the Senate's design into question? Tongue

New York needs more representives in the House. Wyoming or Cube Root rule would fix that.
North Carolina Yankee
Moderators
Atlas Institution
United States

« Reply #1 on: March 12, 2013, 12:54:28 AM »

Right is a subjective consideration. If your priority is ensuring the most representation for the popular will possible then fine. If you desire to check that based of a realization that the popular will can be flawed at times, then it is in fact the best approach.
North Carolina Yankee
Moderators
Atlas Institution
United States

« Reply #2 on: March 12, 2013, 05:42:02 PM »
« Edited: March 12, 2013, 05:44:57 PM by Senator North Carolina Yankee »

Right is a subjective consideration. If your priority is ensuring the most representation for the popular will possible then fine. If you desire to check that based of a realization that the popular will can be flawed at times, then it is in fact the best approach.

The flaw is your assumption that the undemocratic representation of the US Senate is somehow better than a good representation. Total nonsense.

The Senate is suppose to provide an outlet for the representation of a State's viewpoints and to serve as a needed check on the potential excesses of the popular democratic majority. That is not a flawed view, it is a view that recognizes that populist impulses can be both wrong and dangerous to a democratic system when it is not checked with a competing interesting. I for one agree with Lincoln that both Douglas and Cass were wrong on Popular Sovereignty, perhaps you do not. But it is the same idea, that you cannot simply trust a democracy to the popular will alone and expect it to not degrade and move towards a tyranny, if not for all then for some certainly.

"Good representation" is a completely subjective determination. I think one state, one vote is a good representation of state's viewpoints in the Senate, just as much as I think one man, one vote is a good representation of the popular will in the House of Represenatives. Which is the purpose that each body serves. To the extent that the latter is not the case, makes the argument for the Wyoming rule or some other such reform to fix that problem.

Perhaps the problem here is that my concern is not primarily fixated on the free flow of gravy and pork from the Federal Government, whereas that is not the case for some in this thread.
North Carolina Yankee
Moderators
Atlas Institution
United States

« Reply #3 on: March 12, 2013, 05:48:53 PM »

I don't mind the Senate being this way.

However, we need to expand the size of the House.   We've been at 435 for one hundred years now.    A single Representative stood for 215,000 people then; 725,000 now.  We need to expand to 1000 members in the House.

The more districts, the more difficult gerrymandering and lobbying becomes. 

Expanding the Senate to 150 and giving each state a Senate race every election would be good, too, but not as necessary as the House expansion.

Selling it is difficult. I remember one time trying to sell the Wyoming rule to a middle aged person in my class once and the throught of adding more Congresspeople made her eyes glaze over and that is just 675 members. At the very least that should resolve the OMOV issue with the current distribution of seats.
North Carolina Yankee
Moderators
Atlas Institution
United States

« Reply #4 on: March 28, 2013, 09:03:38 PM »

Fortunately, Article V: Amending the Constitution, ends with the following clause

You must be logged in to read this quote.

Pages: [1]  
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies