US House Redistricting: Georgia (user search)
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
May 17, 2024, 01:39:01 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  Political Geography & Demographics (Moderators: muon2, 100% pro-life no matter what)
  US House Redistricting: Georgia (search mode)
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: US House Redistricting: Georgia  (Read 39969 times)
Dgov
United States

« on: March 25, 2011, 02:39:18 AM »
« edited: March 25, 2011, 02:40:52 AM by Dgov »

This is the best I could do and the cleanest I could get it, too. 50.1% black VAP.

That's not actually all that bad of a district.  its better than most south Georgia Black-majority districts I've seen.

On top of that, this benefits the Republicans (more if they can cut out Effington county), because they can split the current 2nd in half and force Bishop to pick up some more conservative territory in South-Central Georgia and lose the black part of Columbus, which can be safely put in the current 3rd district.
Dgov
United States

« Reply #1 on: March 25, 2011, 06:15:32 PM »

You can easily do a 7-VRA district if you just go for plurality Black instead of majority-black.  You can get 5 in the Atlanta area alone, and two more in South Georgia.
Dgov
United States

« Reply #2 on: May 14, 2011, 02:26:31 AM »

Lol--Dekalb County GA is literally 82 people short of a full Congressional district.
Dgov
United States

« Reply #3 on: May 15, 2011, 11:13:29 PM »

is there a metropolitan area as politically diverse as the Atlanta area? You can dry a compact 94% Obama district without trying, but you can also draw a compact 75% McCain district in the northern perimeter of the area.

Most Cities in the South are like that, Atlanta is just big enough for it to be noticeable.  For Example, Birmingham is considered one of the most Liberal Cities in the US (~90% Obama I think), but its Suburbs are also some of the most Conservative in the US (AL-6 was McCain's best Congressional district I think).  It's not as noticeable because Birmingham is only like 200,000 people, and so can't form its own congressional district.
Dgov
United States

« Reply #4 on: May 16, 2011, 04:25:25 AM »
« Edited: May 16, 2011, 04:28:09 AM by Dgov »

Uh, Birmingham is 24% white. Voted 90% Obama? LOL.

It's listed as the 19th most Liberal City in the US, right after Philadelphia and right Before St Louis, so Kerry probably got about 80% there.  And those rankings were based on 2004--i.e. before Obama ubercharged Black Southern Turnout.

http://alt.coxnewsweb.com/statesman/metro/081205libs.pdf

Also, this makes it the most Liberal Large City (more than 100,000 people) in a state Obama didn't win
Dgov
United States

« Reply #5 on: May 22, 2011, 02:28:30 AM »

What's the most McCain district you can draw in the Atlanta suburbs?

74% McCain.

Cut out Cartersville and add Pickens and Dawson counties (which i think are Atlanta Exurbs now), and you get it up to 76%
Pages: [1]  
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies