What Is Living and What Is Dead in Social Democracy? (user search)
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
May 20, 2024, 12:28:24 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  Political Debate
  Political Essays & Deliberation (Moderator: Torie)
  What Is Living and What Is Dead in Social Democracy? (search mode)
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: What Is Living and What Is Dead in Social Democracy?  (Read 4700 times)
A18
Atlas Star
Political Matrix
E: 9.23, S: -6.35

« on: December 18, 2009, 01:29:51 PM »

What do you like about it? I only read the first half, but nothing struck me as particularly novel or insightful. It seemed to me like social democracy at its worst: moral indignation as political philosophy.
A18
Atlas Star
Political Matrix
E: 9.23, S: -6.35

« Reply #1 on: December 18, 2009, 01:59:47 PM »

That social democrats want to conserve social democracy doesn't strike me as particularly insightful. And surely any child over the age of 10 knows that the surest way to "conserve" something is to make people think the sky would fall without it.

By the way, at one point the author curiously writes that, "If we ask who exercised the greatest influence over contemporary Anglophone economic thought, five foreign-born thinkers spring to mind: Ludwig von Mises, Friedrich Hayek, Joseph Schumpeter, Karl Popper, and Peter Drucker. The first two were the outstanding 'grandfathers' of the Chicago School of free-market macroeconomics." One might be able to tie Hayek, however tangentially, to the Chicago School (as I recall, he was a professor of history there)—but Mises?!
Pages: [1]  
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies