What will be next US Constitutional Amendment?
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
May 10, 2024, 04:33:51 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Discussion
  Constitution and Law (Moderator: Okay, maybe Mike Johnson is a competent parliamentarian.)
  What will be next US Constitutional Amendment?
« previous next »
Pages: 1 [2]
Author Topic: What will be next US Constitutional Amendment?  (Read 7356 times)
Stranger in a strange land
strangeland
Atlas Icon
United States

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #25 on: December 18, 2013, 11:54:24 AM »

With the gutting of the Voting Rights Act making it necessary, perhaps the Right to Vote Amendment, along with the Equal Rights Amendment.   

While I doubt the Fair Vote Amendment has any chance of passage, I can see where one would argue for its passage as a way to respond to Shelby County v. Holder.  But why the Equal Right Amendment?  Not only am I not aware of any efforts to suppress the women's vote, the Voting Rights Act doesn't include any language about gender based voting discrimination.

The Voting Rights Act was most recently renewed under George W. Bush, with most Republicans voting in favor.
Frodo
Atlas Star
United States

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #26 on: December 18, 2013, 05:56:13 PM »

With the gutting of the Voting Rights Act making it necessary, perhaps the Right to Vote Amendment, along with the Equal Rights Amendment.    

While I doubt the Fair Vote Amendment has any chance of passage, I can see where one would argue for its passage as a way to respond to Shelby County v. Holder.  But why the Equal Right Amendment?  Not only am I not aware of any efforts to suppress the women's vote, the Voting Rights Act doesn't include any language about gender based voting discrimination.

The Voting Rights Act was most recently renewed under George W. Bush, with most Republicans voting in favor.

The GOP of Bush's time was an entirely different beast.  
True Federalist (진정한 연방 주의자)
Ernest
Moderators
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #27 on: December 18, 2013, 09:22:28 PM »

While I doubt the Fair Vote Amendment has any chance of passage, I can see where one would argue for its passage as a way to respond to Shelby County v. Holder.  But why the Equal Right Amendment?  Not only am I not aware of any efforts to suppress the women's vote, the Voting Rights Act doesn't include any language about gender based voting discrimination.

The GOP of Bush's time was an entirely different beast.  

Yes and no.  I suspect that if there were Shelby County and the VRA were to come up for renewal today, something very like the 2006 renewal would be passed.  Failing to renew it was not an option, and changing the preclearance coverage formula was and still is a political livewire the GOP did not want to touch.  Still, it probably will have to wait for Democratic Congress to write a new section 4 that takes into account SCOTUS' concerns.
Sol
Junior Chimp
Bosnia and Herzegovina

« Reply #28 on: December 19, 2013, 05:16:32 PM »

Would Universal preclearance be kosher?
Ernest
Moderators
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #29 on: December 19, 2013, 07:02:15 PM »
« Edited: December 19, 2013, 07:05:26 PM by True Federalist »

Would Universal preclearance be kosher?
Possibly, but there's no way that would fly politically.  If it was only about redistricting, it wouldn't be too bad, but under preclearance, every little election detail, up to and including precinct locations, had to be vetted by the DoJ in advance every time there was the slightest change in procedure or regulations.  It wasn't solely or even mainly a desire to return to the bad old days of Jim Crow that cause Southern governments to get rid of preclearance. Preclearance was a pain in the butt to deal with, especially if DoJ was moving at a typical bureaucratically glacial pace.
Queen Mum Inks.LWC
Inks.LWC
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix
E: 4.65, S: -2.78

P P

« Reply #30 on: December 23, 2013, 12:35:33 PM »

Other amendments that could conceivably pass this century, but not this decade, would be ones banning the death penalty, allowing flag desecration laws, requiring a balanced budget, and/or returning abortion law to the purview of State legislatures.

I don't see flag desecration laws ever passing ratification, and it'd be a stupid amendment if done.
Ernest
Moderators
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #31 on: December 23, 2013, 03:37:56 PM »

Other amendments that could conceivably pass this century, but not this decade, would be ones banning the death penalty, allowing flag desecration laws, requiring a balanced budget, and/or returning abortion law to the purview of State legislatures.

I don't see flag desecration laws ever passing ratification, and it'd be a stupid amendment if done.

Not at the present, but I could easily see such an amendment passed during a future surge of patriotic fervor.  I do agree it would be stupid.
PJ
Politics Junkie
YaBB God
United States

« Reply #32 on: December 23, 2013, 11:22:02 PM »

I'd like to see transition to popular vote, elimination of the draft, prohibiting right-to-work, removing corporate personhood, eliminating the death penalty, and repealing the 2nd and 10th Amendments, but most of these aren't likely.
Pages: 1 [2]  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies