Question for Never Trump Republicans.......... (user search)
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
May 17, 2024, 04:51:35 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Election Archive
  Election Archive
  2016 U.S. Presidential Election
  Question for Never Trump Republicans.......... (search mode)
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: Question for Never Trump Republicans..........  (Read 1739 times)
Erc
Junior Chimp
Slovenia

« on: July 17, 2016, 08:52:02 AM »

Absolutely not.

Republicans in Congress have shown no interest in actually governing, and there is no evidence that that will change even if they do retain control of the Senate.

Even if that weren't the case, the odds they could get substantial legislation through the necessary cloture votes are nil...and that's assuming Trump doesn't go off the deep end and start vetoing things.

Which means the only things that get done are the ones that can be done by the President himself, and all of them (foreign policy, trade, immigration, justice, personal corruption) would be absolutely disastrous under a Trump Presidency, far worse than under a Clinton one.

The loss of the Supreme Court is a shame, but that's why you confirm Merrick Garland.  It's lessened, of course, if the Republicans should retain control of the Senate.
Erc
Junior Chimp
Slovenia

« Reply #1 on: July 17, 2016, 09:30:36 AM »

#NeverTrump Republicans should just become Democrats. The reason Trump won the nomination is because most Republican voters agree with the things he says.

Even when Trump loses in November, it's not like those Trump voters are going back into the closet. They're empowered now. They'll nominate Trump again in 2020, or someone like him. The days of McCain/Romney-type nominees are over.

Believe me, I've considered it.  But I'm not quite sure if I'm willing to permanently surrender half of the national discourse to Trumpism.

Though in the end, if I can't be certain whether I'm in the resistance or actually a collaborator, perhaps it is time to go.
Erc
Junior Chimp
Slovenia

« Reply #2 on: July 17, 2016, 07:34:53 PM »

#NeverTrump Republicans should just become Democrats. The reason Trump won the nomination is because most Republican voters agree with the things he says.

Even when Trump loses in November, it's not like those Trump voters are going back into the closet. They're empowered now. They'll nominate Trump again in 2020, or someone like him. The days of McCain/Romney-type nominees are over.

Believe me, I've considered it.  But I'm not quite sure if I'm willing to permanently surrender half of the national discourse to Trumpism.

Though in the end, if I can't be certain whether I'm in the resistance or actually a collaborator, perhaps it is time to go.

Have you thought of just becoming Independent?

Eh, no reason to disenfranchise myself unnecessarily.  (Although obviously not literally, as VA has no party registration).  Definitely would rather self-identify as a Democrat than as an Independent.
Erc
Junior Chimp
Slovenia

« Reply #3 on: July 18, 2016, 04:22:05 PM »

He can still be overturned. Expect a floor fight. Even Pence as a running mate isn't assured. I want to see what Cruz pulls. If he pulls something I'll side with him over Trumpbots.

Such speculations today passed into the realm of the counterfactual.

Barring one of the candidates dying (or deciding to drop out???) before November, it's Trump vs. Clinton.
Pages: [1]  
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies