1988- What should Dukakis have done differently? (user search)
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
May 20, 2024, 02:16:50 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Presidential Elections - Analysis and Discussion
  U.S. Presidential Election Results (Moderator: Dereich)
  1988- What should Dukakis have done differently? (search mode)
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: 1988- What should Dukakis have done differently?  (Read 9085 times)
Dancing with Myself
tb75
YaBB God
United States

« on: April 27, 2011, 01:58:03 PM »

I think that the debate question where they asked if he would support the death penalty if someone raped and murdered his wife really hurt him. Instead of asking why someone would ask such a horrific question, he just droned on about how he opposed the death penalty.
He actually flip flopped on the death penality while answering that question. He said that he opposed the death penality, but was still very tough on crime.

Plus, Bush used negative advertising the whole campaign, while Dukakis tried to ignore it but failed. Then when he responded he came across as a whiner
Dancing with Myself
tb75
YaBB God
United States

« Reply #1 on: May 08, 2011, 12:45:11 PM »

In the end, the 1988 race turned out closer than many thought it would be.  Bush had four huge advantages going in:

1) Reagan's popularity

Reagan wasnt that popular in 1988.     

You must be logged in to read this quote.

You should look up when the Wall came down. 

Bush's main advantage was that he was facing Dukakis, who had little charisma, was seen at too liberal and had no foreign policy experience.

I don't know what you are smoking but I want's some of it. Reagan's approval ratings were in the 60's during the 1988 campaign
Dancing with Myself
tb75
YaBB God
United States

« Reply #2 on: May 08, 2011, 07:19:19 PM »

Reagan's approval ratings were in the 60's during the 1988 campaign

No. He was in the high 40s/low 50s for most of '88. He did get more popular as the year progressed, which no doubt helped Bush.
'
If you want to argue I will, but Reagan had a 61% approval rating in October 1988
Pages: [1]  
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies