South Central Ohio (user search)
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
May 07, 2024, 05:59:41 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Presidential Elections - Analysis and Discussion
  U.S. Presidential Election Results
  2012 U.S. Presidential Election Results (Moderator: Dereich)
  South Central Ohio (search mode)
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: South Central Ohio  (Read 2378 times)
Badger
badger
Atlas Legend
United States

« on: January 20, 2013, 12:55:01 PM »
« edited: January 20, 2013, 01:02:37 PM by Badger »

I have some connections to that area (Mercer Co.). It's extremely Catholic, and the perceived war on the Catholic Church probably plays a big part there.

Bingo. Catholicism and social issues (abortion) are the reason mercer swung from democratic in the 68 map to the most republican county in the state (the decline of organized labor sine the Huffy bike plant moved to china a couple decades ago is second).

The Catholic church's view on social issues is likly the primary reason for the entire (largely german-catholic) region's republican swing. It's most pronounced in the most heavily Catholic Mercer County.

I don't think 'strickland democrats' realizing obama wasn't the Anti-christ can mostly explain this shift. Obama lost ground in most the eastern part od strickland's district along the wv border (though coal surely played some influence here).

Someone mentioned upper ny state's dem shift as due to the economy always sucking there, so they are less likely to take hard times out on an incumbent. I think some of the same dyamic is at play here, along with the ecconomy actually improving somewhat faster thnnormal in that region from what I've heard.
Pages: [1]  
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies