District 3 Debate - Live from Minneapolis, MN
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
May 16, 2024, 10:42:57 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Atlas Fantasy Elections
  Atlas Fantasy Elections (Moderators: Southern Senator North Carolina Yankee, Lumine)
  District 3 Debate - Live from Minneapolis, MN
« previous next »
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: District 3 Debate - Live from Minneapolis, MN  (Read 1110 times)
SPC
Chuck Hagel 08
Atlas Icon
Latvia

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: August 17, 2007, 10:23:42 PM »

Hello, this is SPC, here to moderate the last-but-not-least District 3 Debate. Here is the candidates' first question:

What would you do to defend the Atlasian taxpyer, as a Senator?
PBrunsel
Junior Chimp

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #1 on: August 17, 2007, 11:23:17 PM »

Good evening to the voters of District Three and to the fine denizens of Minneapolis, one of the greatest cities in the Republic. Next weekend this district will have to make an important choice: what kind of leadership do you want in Nyman, D.C.? My own brand of leadership has been showing up to vote and debate, learning and researching the issues, asking for advice from other Senators, and than voting on both my conscience and what I have researched. I am a hard working Senator and I show up, and that is what we need in Nyman. We don’t need any more inactive Senators, for that era of our history is long since over. Atlasia has returned to high levels of activity, and that was through hard work. This entire campaign I have promised the bright voters of this district my industry and honesty, and in that spirit I welcome President afleicht and all the viewers at home to this gift of democracy, the debate.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Now onto our kind moderators question:

I want to simplify the tax form. I don't see what's wrong with wanting a tax form that is one page, one easy page, so that on tax day the citizen doesn't have to worry that they'll fill out their ten to whatever huge number of confusing forms wrong and get audited by a "friendly" neighborhood IRS agent. I feel the best way to look out for the tax payer is to make sure that they can pay their taxes, and know they did it right, because honestly, even Albert Einstein had trouble filling out his tax forms!

When it comes to taxes, I feel that the approaches of Preisdent afleicht and I can actually work hand-in-hand. You see, under the President’s income tax cut policy the tax payers will have both tax relief, but also the added deduction they must add to their tax form. Under my policy, the tax from is simple, one page, and has directions about what is to be deducted and how to deduct it using simple math, written right on the form. You see, our plans are two halves of the same egg, and when they are put together, the tax payer wins.
afleitch
Moderators
Atlas Star

« Reply #2 on: August 18, 2007, 08:07:14 AM »

Once again I'd also like to say thank you for hosting this debate. It's been a strong campaign and I'm pleased with the direction of the it so far.

Senator PBrunsel mentioned my campaign pledge to reduce the 10% income tax rate to 0%, lifting the lowest 20% of Atlasians out of the income tax system. This is a fully costed plan; just $14 billion out of an annual income tax revenue of $1.1 trillion. It's a small sum, but it makes a difference to the lives of hard working Atlasians. It encourages work, and disencourages welfare and hand in hand with my proposed EITC reform will make a real difference and offer a real financial boost to millions of our citizens. The difference is, the Senator offers a simplified tax form. I offer simplified taxes.

No on to the issue of leadership. Throughout this campaign, the Senator has stated where he stands on many issues and demostrates his support of various bills on the floor, and previous legislation. But, to my knowledge during this term he has not introduced one single bill onto the Senate floor. He has been a fine man, but has been a 'piggy back' Senator during his time in office and a piggy back candidate during this election race. There is a difference Mr Senator, between being bipartisan and being welcoming and supportive of other Senators proposals, and lacking in any costed or detailed policies of your own. Senator PBrunsel has been an active Senator, but has been passive in his response to the issues facing District 3.

The Senator asked what kind of leadership you want. We need a Senator who will put his solutions to poverty and to the problems facing District 3 to the Senate floor as well as working with other Senators to ensure those policies are delivered.
SPC
Chuck Hagel 08
Atlas Icon
Latvia

« Reply #3 on: August 18, 2007, 11:15:41 AM »

Okay, here's our next question:

How would you protect regional rights, as a Senator?
afleitch
Moderators
Atlas Star

« Reply #4 on: August 18, 2007, 11:47:01 AM »

Thank you moderator.

Regional rights is a very difficult term to define. Some would say that it is not in the best interests of the Senate to define or defend regional rights and that it is up to our regions to do so.  I had a strong record as governor of defending the rights of the regions. I opposed the rights of the Senate to determine a minimum wage and, in light of current legislation tabled, will do so again. When governor I opposed it because the Senate had no right to take that responsibility away from the regions. As Senator I will oppose it for the same reason.

I don't believe the Senate should legislate to give itself more power and more authority unless actioned to do so by the respective regions. However, in the past I have also stated that a lack of regional authority and inactivity has been a catalyst for constitutional reform and while I still believe that to be the case, my loyality is to the current constitution and I will defend the rights of the Senate and the rights of the regions. Yet I believe that constitutional reform is still needed and that we have to be open to proposals that may require the dissolution of regions and even the dissolution or restructuring of the Senate because in my view no instution is sacred in attempts to revive and defend democracy.
PBrunsel
Junior Chimp

« Reply #5 on: August 18, 2007, 08:23:11 PM »

Mr. Moderator,

My position on regional rights is one of a form of “marble cake federalism.” I believe the region has the right to create programs, and the federal government can, if it wishes, help fund these programs. An example would be the LSD Legalization Bill. Senator Ebowed made it clear in his bill that regions would have the right to moderate the sail and regulation of LSD and all funds garnered from taxes of the drug would go to regional programs, such as mass transit, roads, and needle exchange programs, such as the policy I have introduced in the Midwest.

There are some things that the federal government is best at doing, such as allotting funding for research for new sciences or regulating immigration, and there are other things that regions are better at, such as fixing roads. So there is no real “battle” between the Federal government and state governments, because both can help one another. The Federal government can help fund regional programs. Thus regional rights are upheld, there are fewer lawsuits, and the people of the region are served.

There need not be animosity between the two parts of our government structure, since regional and federal governments can work quite well together, as they have done for the last several months due to actions from Senators.
SPC
Chuck Hagel 08
Atlas Icon
Latvia

« Reply #6 on: August 18, 2007, 09:53:22 PM »

Next question:

If elected Senator, how do you plan to decrease the spread of HIV/AIDS?
afleitch
Moderators
Atlas Star

« Reply #7 on: August 19, 2007, 08:55:32 AM »

Let's be clear from the start, it is very difficult to 'decrease' rates of HIV/AIDS, only decrease the rates of infection and and that should be our short term goal. What we need, more than anything else is a consistent HIV/AIDS policy, both across our nation and in the developing world which is why I'm pleased to support Senator Porce's plan. I was, as you may all be aware extremely dissapointed in the Senates rejection of the previous bill and I have not been satisifed with Senator PBrunsels response to this issue. As I identified at the time, the proposals regarding needle exchange have been government policy in the UK for 20 years and as such their rates of infection through drug use not only of HIV/AIDS but in other blood borne diseases are astonishingly low by European and Atlasian standards. It works, it was a conservative policy yet conservatives in the Senate blocked it.

We need a federal response to HIV/AIDS, indeed a federal response to any infectious disease in Atlasia as infection knows no regional boundaries nor respects any divisions in authority between federal government and the regions that we may respect.

Once a federal response to HIV/AIDS is established, in conjunction with a complementary sex education program, then that response should be applied where possible where Atlasian governmental organisations and international development organisations are operating in the third world. That goes for needle exchanges too; it's not just a drug users problem in many parts of Africa, but a medical problem too. Educated health professionals know that needles should be disposed after use, but in cash strapped villages and communities they simply don't have the money for what should be a cheap program and are forced to take the risk and re-use needles.

As Senator I will be tough and consistent in the fights against HIV/AIDS in Atlasia and across the world.
PBrunsel
Junior Chimp

« Reply #8 on: August 19, 2007, 01:02:27 PM »

Now Mr. President,

When I opposed Senator Ebowed’s HIV/AIDS bill, it was not out of hatred of those who suffer from the disease, but more because I feel that it was far to open to lawsuits for imposing on regions a program that they may not support. I see former Senator Bono in the Southeast governor’s mansion, and even though he is an excellent public servant, no doubt of that, he has been known to take lawsuits to the government over such programs. This is his right, of course, I do not complain about that, but we must remember that a national HIV/AIDS program could easily be struck down in the courts for imposing on regional rights.

This is why I support regional programs for HIV/AIDS prevention and care, any programs dealing with the sanctity of human life, and educational curriculums. It took a long, bitter, fight called “The Right to Life Amendment” to show me the importance of regional rights, and I will never forget that lesson. If we get a national needle exchange program or something like that, than any governor or regional rights advocate could sue the government, it could be upheld by the Supreme Court, and those who suffer from HIV/AIDS will be back to where they began, and there will be no regional plans for them to fall back on. We can not allow that, and that is why regional programs work and must be the basic weapon against HIV/AIDS.

In also feel that in fighting HIV/AIDS worldwide relies on the United Nations and Atlasia funding some programs that will make lives easier for those in Africa. I wonder how many of the listeners realize that women in Africa have to walk up to 50-miles a day carting buckets of water from the well to their homes. While they walk these miles they are targeted by men who have HIV/AIDS, thus they become victims of rape and AIDS. Secondly, women in Africa can’t go to UN schools which teach them how to prevent contracting HIV/AIDS, since they have to go around carting water all day. If we in Atlasia can help the African Union and the UN build a functioning water treatment plant
afleitch
Moderators
Atlas Star

« Reply #9 on: August 19, 2007, 01:21:32 PM »
« Edited: August 19, 2007, 01:23:24 PM by afleitch »

Additional if I may Mr Moderator;

Is the Senator stating that the federal government should not have the authority to legislate to manage and prevent the spread of infectious diseases? If Atlasia suffered an outbreak of an infectious strain of avian flu for example, would the Senator simply leave it to the regions, whether they be active or inactive to put measures in place to halt the outbreak? If so, what would his response be to an act of biological terrorism against Atlasia; a patchwork regional response or a co-ordinated federal response?
PBrunsel
Junior Chimp

« Reply #10 on: August 19, 2007, 01:59:46 PM »

It seems like the president is beginning to grasp at straws here, but his question still needs a response, for it would be rude not to answer. I feel that his “nightmare scenario” would be best dealt with by regional governments, with some aide from the federal government. As I stated before, I feel that the federal government has the right to help fund and aide regional programs, and in the case of the president’s “nightmare” scenario, regional governments would have their own programs, and the federal government could respond by helping to aide these regional efforts.

I firmly believe that the regions of our Republic have the capability and expertise to respond to any threats which befall them. If the federal government can help regional programs, then it is their responsibility to do so. The president seems to think that a coordinated federal response would be efficient, however, when crises occur in states, such as the one which occurred recently in this city, state and regional rescue workers have done a good job without intervention from the government beaurocracy.

I trust the regions, and I stand by regional rights.
afleitch
Moderators
Atlas Star

« Reply #11 on: August 19, 2007, 02:25:02 PM »

Mr Senator, I am not talking about bridge collapses and local emergencies which you know, as well as I do, can be responded to on a local and regional level. I am talking about infectious diseases which could be a national threat, including airborne diseases that can cross regional boundaries before they are even identified. Mr Senator, I am not grasping at straws. What I asked was a serious hypothetic question to which, I am pleased you gave a partial response. Will the Senator also respond to my question regarding a bio terrorist attack? Indeed, will the Senator respond to any of the unaswered questions I have put to him in this campaign including giving the people of District 3 an explanation as to why, in his tme in the Senate he has not introduced one single bill onto the Senate floor?

Will the Senator, for example respond to the question I asked him on August 12th; The Senator has stated that he supports a federal response to the need to fund research to fight disease and help those 'oppressed by sickness and hopelessness' that stem cell research can provide. Yet he supports a regional response to the drive to help HIV/AIDS victims also oppressed by sickness and hopelessness. He now declares that he supports a regional rather than federal infectious disease prevention policy. Fighting disease through the management of infection and through research are two sides of the same coin, but to which are given two different reponses; one regional, one federal.  I'm a federalist on both counts when it comes to disease prevention and management. Which are you Mr Senator?
PBrunsel
Junior Chimp

« Reply #12 on: August 19, 2007, 05:56:52 PM »

My good Mr. President,

First of all, if I offended you with my “grasping at straws” statement, I apologize. It was not necessary to debate, and for that I am truly sorry.

When it comes to dealing with biological disasters, our states and regions are the best suited since they no there area the best and are the first on the scene. An example is the Three-Mile Island disaster, a nuclear meltdown for those who may not be aware. The states of Pennsylvania and New York took care of most of the hazardous waste that came from the meltdown, and the only time a major mistake occurred, was when the federal government got involved and misplaced some of the hazardous material. Governor Thornburgh took some heat for that! Our regions have programs, as do our governors, in responding to terrorist attacks. If an attack is entirely too monstrous for a single region, the federal government may wish to get involved. The federal government can lend aide and men and coordinate them through regional responses. The federal government, after all, gives anti-terrorism funds to cities and states to help them defend against such attacks as you brought up.

Secondly, Mr. President, I must now respond to your assumption that I not introducing a bill makes me a, what did you say, “Piggybank senator?” Well, I guess I am from Iowa, certain amount of “pig” comments are to be expected, but I will now tell the voters of this district exactly what I promised them last April. There was no candidate for Senate in District Three last April. I was asked by a group of people from different parties and parts of the country to seek the office, and I promised the voters a single creed: I will listen, I will work, I will show up, and I will not make you ever doubt my dedication to the district. I have lived up to my promise, Mr. President, and I am not ashamed of that. I didn’t promise that massive legislative overhaul, I didn’t promise speeches, I promised my industry and my integrity, and I have delivered on this. I know that I have not introduced a bill, but what does that matter? I delivered on my promise, and that is something that all Senators should aim to do. You may not think I’ve done enough, but I have had strong approval from my district when it comes to my performance as their Senator. My constituents generally approve of my performance, and that is not just good enough for me, but truly an honor for me.

Now let’s get to your next good question. You say that I am contradicting myself, but I am not. When I described my own view of federalism, I declared that research is a generally a federal responsibility. I feel that when it comes to research, history has shown that the federal government is best at it, while such plans as road construction and needle exchange programs are best at the city or state level, for such plans have been used in such areas and worked. However, I can also say that money that goes to researching Adult Stem Cells could be allotted to regional research facilities as well as federal, thus “marble cake federalism” is best served. While I feel that research is best handled by the federal government, the federal government, if deeming it necessary, can also give direct funds to regional ASC research if it feels such a step is needed.

I feel I have answered your questions to the best of my ability, and also, I thank you for them. Such debate is the best I have ever been in during my tenure in Atlasian politics. Smiley 
SPC
Chuck Hagel 08
Atlas Icon
Latvia

« Reply #13 on: August 19, 2007, 08:55:35 PM »

Glad to see you debated while I was gone.

Our next question is, what will your position be on:
a) poverty?
b) health care?
c) school choice?
afleitch
Moderators
Atlas Star

« Reply #14 on: August 20, 2007, 04:13:52 AM »

Thank you Mr Senator for your response. May I make a few brief points before I move on. First of all there was no deliberate linkage of 'pig' to piggy back. I would never make any connection and I never thought of the possibility of one until it was mentioned. Besides, where I come from we call it a 'cokey back' but I wasn't sure if it would 'travel' as a phrase Smiley Secondly Mr Senator, a very poor record when it comes to proposing legislation on the Senate floor should not be excused by the manner in which you were elected. That is why I have stated that I believe you to be a good, but 'passive' Senator. It's all very well clocking in each day, but you've got to deliver a program while you're there. The fact you failed to propose any legislation these past four months understandably makes me doubtful of your intent or ability to introduce legislation in the future. I hope you understand that it is a valid point of concern. Now on to the questions at hand.

I have a broad strategy for tackling poverty in Atlasia and my proposals are designed to be complimentary to each other and work together, in a variety of fields to help reduce the scourge of poverty in Atlasia. The tax reform proposals have been explained before; lifting 20% of the lowest earners out of the income tax system. In the past, as Governor I legislated to secure funding for vocational education and training which I'm proud to say helped form part of Senator Hawks 2006 Bill. He helped secure funding for the scheme and I believe it's time to target that funding and I wish to propose legislation to that effect. I believe in 'lifelong learning'; supporting kids who want to go to college, but also supporting kids who are not academically minded but have gifts and talents elswhere. Now this applies to adult workers and the unemployed and unemployable too; they need to develop new skills and expand current ones and we have to provide that encouragement. We've got legislation to deal with that issue, we've secured the funding, it's time we use it.

Now of course we need to create jobs in areas of high poverty and high depravation. But we have two options; have the state create jobs, or attract businesses to these areas. We have to create more enterprise zones in Atlasia and we have to work together to identify these zones, from neglected waterfronts to cross regional swathes of countryside. Within these zones companies have to be exempt from land taxes and rates and have a unified and simplified planning regime making it easier and less bureaucratic for small businesses and not for profit organisations to get a foot on the ladder in these areas.

On school vouchers let me be brief; the jury is still out on their effectiveness. While I support the principle behind them, I will not be railroaded into supporting them unconditionally. When politicians become blinkered by their support for transferrable school vouchers they often loose sight of other effective methods, such as the open access scheme to increase school choice and help the education of the bright but poor. I won't support any voucher scheme in the Senate if it fails to look at other options and is not structured to match funding, dollar for dollar, of schools in some of Atlasia's poorest areas that could loose out under the effects of a voucher system and an active free market operating within our education system.

On health I have to say Atlasia needs to have a  'big conversation' on what sort of health care system we have in Atlasia, from private and personal plans, to a federal health care system. I'm pleased to have made this call and I hope, regardless of whether or not I am elected, the whole nation gets involved. If elected I propose to work with the Senate and the President to secure a dedicated slot early on in the life of the Senate to look at health care and take the necessary time and debate to draft out a response. I support a health care system that strikes a balance between federal and private provision but in having this debate, we should be encouraged to put our preconceptions aside. If greats such as Winston Churchill can be confinced through debate and understanding to support  a national healthcare plan, perhaps some of our conservative stalwarts in the Senate can too!
PBrunsel
Junior Chimp

« Reply #15 on: August 20, 2007, 05:17:29 PM »

Mr. President,

Ther pig comment was but a merry joke. I guess no one can really tell when I make one because I rarely ever joke. Smiley Also, Mr. President, when it comes to doubthing if in my second term I will introduce bills, may I remind you that General Eisenhower had never led men in battle, but when he finally did, he didn't do half bad now did he?

Now onto the question from the moderator,

Make no mistake of this; Atlasia’s health care system is the finest in the world. However, it is also one of the biggest beaurocracies in the world. We must not continue beaurocratic oversight, inefficient technology, and a lack of prevention to threaten the health of the citizens of our Republic. My general ideas for health reform come from Governor Tommy Thompson’s own work in Wisconsin. He did wonders for the state health care programs, and a few of his ideas can be used both on the regional and national level.   

The greatest crisis in healthcare today is a lack of cooperation in the industry. Why does a doctor who is treating a patient who has moved from state to state have to wait days for their medical reports to come in from across the nation? The answer is that the doctor should not have to wait, because all state medical systems, from hospitals to universities, should be able to use modern technology to communicate with one another. That is one of the major problems in health care today. We must make sure our hospitals are equipped with the most up to date technology.

The second greatest problem in our health care system is that many focus entirely on caring for the symptoms, but not attacking the disease. We must prevent people from getting sick, and that will require regions to implement more health education in schools, hire more physical and health educators, and provide for routine vaccinations in public schools and amongst our nation’s youngest children. I feel that, as a marble cake federalist, that the regions should carry much of this program, but the federal government can help in some ways, such as using taxes on such things as our newly legalized drugs, to help fund these prevention programs.

Simple efficiency reforms can do wonders for our health care system, both nationally and regionally.

I like the president, view education as one of the major ways to get out of poverty. I see that state programs that have school voucher systems, tax credits, and deductions of school fees and tuitions; in fact, work exceedingly well. Such programs as the federal Student Loan Program and local school voucher systems have worked, and will continue to support these. I generally support the federal government allotting funds to these regional voucher programs, so that the giant government beaurocracy stays out of regional education as much as possible.

I also support small business in every way I can. Too many small business go under, and their owners thrown into near poverty, by frivolous taxes and lawsuits. This is the reason I opposed the Kyoto Protocol and I support tort reform when it comes to lawsuits against small business. I feel that keeping taxes low will encourage poorer areas of our nation to begin opening and operating small businesses.

I also wish to review over the food stamps program. This program is racked by corruption and misuse. Should our money go into buying Twinkies? Of course not, and that is why the food stamps program, once a noble program striving towards the goal of eliminating hunger, must be ended, for it is being manipulated all too well by some scurrilous people. I propose expanding the WIC (Women with Infant Children) to all food stamp recipients. Under this program only certain items can be bought with WIC coupons, and the food is healthy and affordable. Thus our taxpayers dollars are not be used to buy Twinkies, but fruits and vegetables, thus the problem of low income obesity can be fought, and in effect sickness becomes less of a problem amongst low income citizens, because they will be eating healthy food.   

Poverty can be solved by the free market and by education, not by keeping the same failed policies of government welfare. By teaching a person in poverty a skill through college or through the president’s vocational programs, they shall be able to rise out of the pit of hopelessness.

SPC
Chuck Hagel 08
Atlas Icon
Latvia

« Reply #16 on: August 20, 2007, 07:54:02 PM »

Okay. I thank both candidates for attending the debate, and may the best man win. Smiley
PBrunsel
Junior Chimp

« Reply #17 on: August 20, 2007, 09:52:00 PM »

Mr. Moderator, I would now like to make my closing statement. Smiley

I would like to thank South Park Conservative and the National Weekly Atlasian for hosting this debate and President afleicht for not just attending and debating quite well, but for the energy and ideas he has given throughout the campaign. I have always firmly believed that the greatest honor history can bestow on a person is the title of “hard worker”, and that is my guiding philosophy when it comes to public service. Whether it is as a Senator, a Governor, or a President, I have been at my desk, working hard for my constituents. I have never left the Atlasian people “wanting” when it comes to getting there and doing the job I promised them.

Last April, I was asked by the voters to help a district that was lacking a candidate for Senate, and I promised them that I would do all in my power to be an active Senator, to vote, to debate, and to listen to them. I accepted this responsibility with the same spirit I have outlined this entire debate: I have been elected, and I must do the best I can. I have kept my promise to this district, and I feel I deserve a second term for delivering on my promise.

From helping to reform immigration to fighting for school choice, I have voted on my principles, I have shown up for work, and I have served my country whenever it has called. I ask my country to call on me once again. I offer you my industry, my judgment, and my commitment if you choose me to return to the hallowed halls of the Senate.       
afleitch
Moderators
Atlas Star

« Reply #18 on: August 21, 2007, 03:23:05 AM »

Thank you moderator for giving us the oppourtunity to debate in a lively and stimulating environment and thank you for organising these debates for each district election which I know must be a daunting task. Smiley I'd also like to think Senator PBrunsel for his responses in this debate, he has been an admirable opponent and a gentleman.

We've talked about the differences, now I'm here to talk about why you should put your trust in me to deliver for District 3. Throughout this election I've been proud to have set the agenda; on HIV/AIDS policy, on poverty, on health. I'm also pleased to be the only candidate putting his cards on the table and offering the district and Atlasia a costed policy of tax cuts, EITC reform and lower taxes for small businesses to help them set up without needless bureaucracy in some of Atlasia's most deprived regions. My tax cuts are designed to help the lowest earners, to lift some of the tax load off their backs and give them back pride in and authority over what they take home to their families with each paycheck. If you want real action on poverty and unemployment, based on sound and costed policies then I ask for your vote.

If you want a national discussion on health care provision in this country on the agenda, then place your trust in the man who started the discussion and brought the topic to the table. If you want education policy to help the academic, the artist and the apprentice; a policy that is designed to expand the skills of every person of every age, then I ask for your vote. If you want Atlasia to pursue a consistent and effective cross partisan policy on HIV/AIDS and disease prevention in Atlasia and across the world, which brought me into this race then I'll deliver. If you want a Senator who will not only 'turn up for work'; but will draft effective and costed bills, put them on the table and fight for them when on the Senate floor, then I ask the voters of District 3 to put your trust in me to deliver. Thank you.

Pages: [1]  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies