House of Cards (user search)
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
May 19, 2024, 03:44:09 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Forum Community
  Off-topic Board (Moderators: The Dowager Mod, The Mikado, YE)
  House of Cards (search mode)
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: House of Cards  (Read 23540 times)
Lumine
LumineVonReuental
Moderators
Atlas Icon
« on: February 15, 2014, 06:34:22 PM »

Not bad so far (Episode 6), but yeah, Underwood needs a nemesis, something much better than Tusk. Francis Urquhart had one in the second season (even if it was an idealist who couldn't win in the end), and when he had no challenges in the third he simply created an enemy just for fun, which is why I still consider Urquhart superior to Underwood.
Lumine
LumineVonReuental
Moderators
Atlas Icon
« Reply #1 on: February 16, 2014, 09:12:18 PM »

After finishing up the season, I guess I was more satisfied, Underwood almost fell after all. Now the question is how much is he is going to rise from now on... and how hard is the eventuall fall going to be.
Lumine
LumineVonReuental
Moderators
Atlas Icon
« Reply #2 on: February 16, 2014, 09:39:25 PM »
« Edited: February 17, 2014, 01:26:22 AM by Midwest Governor Lumine »

After finishing up the season, I guess I was more satisfied, Underwood almost fell after all. Now the question is how much is he is going to rise from now on... and how hard is the eventuall fall going to be.

How much more can he possibly rise? Tongue

Considering that Underwood's quest is no longer revenge, he won't probably settle for less than a Nixonesque landslide, and that if he's feeling humble...

EDIT: You're right, this needs a spoiler tag.
Lumine
LumineVonReuental
Moderators
Atlas Icon
« Reply #3 on: March 01, 2015, 02:03:23 PM »

Having watched most of Season 3 it continues to be evident that Francis Urquhart is still vastly superior to Underwood.
Lumine
LumineVonReuental
Moderators
Atlas Icon
« Reply #4 on: March 14, 2016, 02:16:33 PM »
« Edited: March 14, 2016, 02:20:59 PM by Lumine »

A fairly minor idea, but from a point of view of secondary characters, I do find the Underwood White House personnel and cabinet interesting to some level, and serving as a decent contrast to Urquhart's staff (especially because they actually have time to do some level of development, unlike the original series).

In that regard, I found it curious that they managed to get some minor details, plot points or traits from To Play the King and The Final Cut into this season, despite how different both plots are by this point. For example, giving some of Tom Makepeace's traits and plot points to Durant (the proper parallel as Secretary of State/Foreign Sec), some of the King to Heather Dunbar (at least until Dunbar slowly begins to be corrupted herself), some of Stamper and Harding into Sharp and Danton, some of Geoffrey Booza-Pitt/Claire Carlsen into Seth Grayson (which probably gives a clue to Grayson's eventual future), having an attack on the PM/President, and the most tempting one, the war on ICO being a possible counterpart to Urquhart's intervention in Cyprus. If Season Five is the last one, I think Kalwejt prediction is the likely outcome.

If one suspends disbelief and accepts Claire's "rise" (While I thought her manipulation of Blythe fun, I rather disliked that she would go for VP, it makes little sense and the show itself points out, it's sheer dumb and insane political suicide), the show has gotten a lot better than Season 2 and 3. Underwood is not and will never be Francis Urquhart, but you can't say it's not fun to watch.

EDIT: Also, Petrov is probably the most fun character to watch, I enjoy it when he makes Underwood's life harder than usual.
Pages: [1]  
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies