More Educated = More Liberal? (user search)
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
May 19, 2024, 02:45:27 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Presidential Elections - Analysis and Discussion
  Presidential Election Trends (Moderator: 100% pro-life no matter what)
  More Educated = More Liberal? (search mode)
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: More Educated = More Liberal?  (Read 8908 times)
bedstuy
YaBB God

Political Matrix
E: -1.16, S: -4.35

« on: July 23, 2013, 10:53:45 AM »

I don't think the education numbers from exit polls, by themselves, really show anything about the dynamic relationship between voting and education.  Here's why:

A higher percentage of white people have attained a college degree.  A white person is about twice as likely to have attained a bachelor's degree compared to a black or Hispanic person.  So, education is correlated with whiteness.  Whiteness is correlated with voting for the GOP.

A person with a college degree or higher earns higher wages than an a high school graduate.  So, education is correlated with income.  Higher income people tend to vote for the GOP.

So statistically, you would have to have some control for those type of variables.
bedstuy
YaBB God

Political Matrix
E: -1.16, S: -4.35

« Reply #1 on: July 24, 2013, 12:09:17 AM »

Unless by Postgraduate Study that you mean "Educated" I really don't see how this is the case.

WC, people 'with a college degree' are not very educated in America, as far as I have noticed.  So, yeah, I'd say 'educated' means post graduate - at least a master's degree.

I think that's a good point.  We need to define "educated."  Back in the day, a person with a degree in something like "business" (if that existed), would not be considered educated at all.  They would be considered an uncultured tradesman.  Indeed, elites used to disdain those who sullied their hands toiling at a "trade."  "Educated" meant that you were cultured, lettered, could read latin and were basically what modern Americans would call, "a pretentious, nerdy homo." 

By that old-time definition of educated, I think generally more educated = more liberal.
Pages: [1]  
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies