Perry County, Indiana (user search)
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
May 13, 2024, 06:30:04 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  Political Geography & Demographics (Moderators: muon2, 100% pro-life no matter what)
  Perry County, Indiana (search mode)
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: Perry County, Indiana  (Read 11452 times)
Benj

« on: February 10, 2013, 05:48:10 PM »

Tell City was a deliberate colonization effort by Swiss-Germans, and was intended to be named Helvetia.  It is now named for William Tell.   It has a relatively large French ancestry population around 9%, but is otherwise typical for the area German and American, with around 10% Irish and English.   Dubois to the northwest (and inland) is much more German, while Crawford to the east is more American.

Swiss-German suggests Protestants (Calvinists) - true?

If yes, that might be part of the answer. While others and I myself have noted various cases of Catholic German Americans swinging heavily towards Romney, Protestant German Americans appear to have mostly remained loyal to the Democrats. This is at least indicated by results in heavily Protestant German American counties in Wisconsin (e.g. Dane) and Minnesota. Perry County might be another point in case.

Abortion might be one of the key issues that divide Catholic and Protestant German Americans.

If this is true, it really doesn't apply to Pennsylvania Dutch areas (Swiss Mennonites, though relatively few are actually Amish) like mine. Look at Lancaster County, PA or Holmes County, OH.

Yeah, I don't think his analysis is right at all. Rural Protestant Germans were almost never Democrats historically (all three aspects being factors tending to cause one to be a Republican in the past).
Benj

« Reply #1 on: February 13, 2013, 09:27:55 AM »

The Dakotas are not "potential swing states". They are and will be still pretty solidly Republican (especially North Dakota with the growth from the oil boom).

Yeah, this has become obvious in the 2012 Senate election Cool.

Seriously - I am operating here on the base of instinct and by interfering certain German 'homeland' patterns on German Americans, which may lead to completely wrong results - but I feel  that Protestant German Americans could be among the best targets for Democrat vote gains among the white population, because they should traditionally reject any attempts to 'moralise' politics (for a more detailed assessment of likely political attitudes see my longer contribution in this thread).

Only because all of the moralizing Protestants left Germany for the US in the 19th and early 20th centuries.
Pages: [1]  
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies