This is a public school in the United States (user search)
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
May 16, 2024, 04:55:12 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  U.S. General Discussion (Moderators: The Dowager Mod, Chancellor Tanterterg)
  This is a public school in the United States (search mode)
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: This is a public school in the United States  (Read 4184 times)
Sbane
sbane
Atlas Icon

« on: October 16, 2011, 07:26:39 PM »

Mathematics is overrated as compared to the arts? Seriously? Fair point about the teaching of history though.
Sbane
sbane
Atlas Icon

« Reply #1 on: October 16, 2011, 09:19:14 PM »

Mathematics is overrated as compared to the arts? Seriously? Fair point about the teaching of history though.

I mean, insofar as one's employment is socially overrated compared to one's hobbies, interests, way of being with family and friends, and so on. Obviously mathematics is important for many if not most of the most remunerative types of work these days and I wasn't trying to claim otherwise.

I'm sorry but employment is not overrated. Unless you have a trust fund. Then disregard what I said.
Sbane
sbane
Atlas Icon

« Reply #2 on: October 17, 2011, 10:07:11 AM »

I mean, insofar as one's employment is socially overrated compared to one's hobbies, interests, way of being with family and friends, and so on. Obviously mathematics is important for many if not most of the most remunerative types of work these days and I wasn't trying to claim otherwise.

I'm sorry but employment is not overrated. Unless you have a trust fund. Then disregard what I said.

Employment is only not overrated because the entirety of the present society is structured around the idea of full-time secular employment in the general workforce as the only way to fulfillment. You really don't see any problem with expecting people to spend every waking hour working or thinking about work? That is in fact what's happening, increasingly as human time is commodified (not that it wasn't seen as a commodity already...).

Well it seems like you are jumping into topics such as the appropriate amount of leisure time. I was just saying it is of utmost important to get the skills to find a job. And if that means hobbies cannot be developed in school, then so be it. And these days the more education you get the less disposable you are. And I don't think arts and crafts, a lot of majors in college in the humanities and even creative writing for that matter provide the skills needed. We needs kids to know basic math and science, be able to read a wide variety of material from different fields, and persuasive writing.
Pages: [1]  
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies