Who will win in Georgia? (user search)
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
May 13, 2024, 06:31:53 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Other Elections - Analysis and Discussion
  Congressional Elections (Moderators: Brittain33, GeorgiaModerate, Gass3268, Virginiá, Gracile)
  Who will win in Georgia? (search mode)
Pages: [1]
Poll
Question: Who do you think will win the Georgia senate election?
David Purdue (R)

Michelle Nunn (D)

Show Pie Chart
Partisan results

Total Voters: 64

Author Topic: Who will win in Georgia?  (Read 5438 times)
Keystone Phil
Atlas Institution

« on: July 23, 2014, 04:37:09 PM »

It's July and the focus has been on a brutal GOP primary. If you really think she's destined to win based on a few leads in Summer polls, you really need to reassess.
Keystone Phil
Atlas Institution

« Reply #1 on: July 23, 2014, 09:54:02 PM »

Wait... Why the hell is the runoff scheduled for after the new Congress is sworn in? Was I reading that correctly??

Yes. This is what happens when you let Republicans make calendars.

Well, I guess it helps to know how to read a calendar: the Senate runoff (if needed) is in December. The Gubernatorial runoff would be in the new year. Bizarre, yes, but not as bizarre as having a Senate runoff after the new Congress is sworn in.
Keystone Phil
Atlas Institution

« Reply #2 on: July 24, 2014, 06:53:35 AM »

Wait... Why the hell is the runoff scheduled for after the new Congress is sworn in? Was I reading that correctly??

Well, I guess it helps to know how to read a calendar: the Senate runoff (if needed) is in December. The Gubernatorial runoff would be in the new year. Bizarre, yes, but not as bizarre as having a Senate runoff after the new Congress is sworn in.

Um, no.
You must be logged in to read this quote.

But these runoff rules were instituted when Democrats dominated the South.

Again, not really. The runoff threshold was at 50% for over 100 years, and yes, that was due to Democrats wanting a guarantee. In 1992, Wyche Fowler lost the run-off against Coverdell despite beating him in the general election.

The Democrats then changed the run-off requirement to 45% to begin with the 1994 elections, where it stayed at through 2004.

Once Republicans took control of the General Assembly in 2005, they changed the rules back to 50% (since it now benefited them). So at least in Georgia, the current runoff laws were instituted by Republicans.

Well, I'd chalk it up to an error but for the SOS to have it listed that way, it would be a pretty massive error. In my defense, though, several reputable sites have stated that the Senate runoff is in December and the Gubernatorial runoff is in January.
Keystone Phil
Atlas Institution

« Reply #3 on: July 25, 2014, 07:01:40 AM »

Well, I'd chalk it up to an error but for the SOS to have it listed that way, it would be a pretty massive error. In my defense, though, several reputable sites have stated that the Senate runoff is in December and the Gubernatorial runoff is in January.

I've checked around online and I can't find a source that shows the opposite. My home county and another county are showing what the SoS is showing. It's also what the party and campaigns are conveying. If the SoS has made a typo that's led to this, then it'll the biggest election calendar flub of the century...

My point was that I'd normally consider it a mistake/typo but for something like this, it would be a rather massive mistake so I'm not chalking it up to an error especially when other sources (like Green Papers) are confirming the SoS. 

By the way, Politics1 has it listed as December or at least did as of two days ago. And maybe this isn't much of a defense but Politico (the site, not the former poster Wink ) mentioned the December runoff in a write up about Perdue vs. Nunn.
Pages: [1]  
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies