Is self-interest on taxes moral? (user search)
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
May 14, 2024, 01:11:46 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  Political Debate (Moderator: Torie)
  Is self-interest on taxes moral? (search mode)
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: Is self-interest on taxes moral?  (Read 3509 times)
FEMA Camp Administrator
Cathcon
Atlas Star
United States

« on: May 08, 2017, 04:55:15 PM »
« edited: May 08, 2017, 04:57:01 PM by #woke O'Malley 2020 »

Self-interest as a motivation for anything is inherently immoral.

Could it be amoral?

ADDENDUM: I don't have particularly much interest in this topic, but do you believe self-preservation is inherently immoral? (And, if we must bring this back to taxes, surely there are points where one is driven beyond their ability to survive--at least with some modicum of comfort--wing to confiscatory taxation; take the situation in Russia under both Tsarism and crash industrialization)
FEMA Camp Administrator
Cathcon
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #1 on: May 08, 2017, 06:10:59 PM »
« Edited: May 08, 2017, 06:13:36 PM by #woke O'Malley 2020 »

Do you similarly consider self defense and related activities to lack a moral character?

Perhaps needless to say, I would differ by some degree, considering it foremost among the duties of a living creature to fend for itself. This has caveats of course (and runs the risk of some libertarian misinterpretation), but I am speaking from outside of the many real-life situations of scarcity wherein self-sacrifice might be paramount to collective survival.
FEMA Camp Administrator
Cathcon
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #2 on: May 08, 2017, 06:26:50 PM »

Do you similarly consider self defense and related activities to lack a moral character?

I don't see how that's a relevant question. Self-defense and other activity can be easily justified on the basis of a universal right to life.

Hm. I contemplated self-preservation as perhaps the most immediate act of self-interest. You are framing self-preservation (or in this case stated "self defense"), it is moral for the act of defense, having little to do with it be oneself or someone else. Hm.
FEMA Camp Administrator
Cathcon
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #3 on: May 08, 2017, 06:50:05 PM »

I don't see how that's a relevant question. Self-defense and other activity can be easily justified on the basis of a universal right to life.

Hm. I contemplated self-preservation as perhaps the most immediate act of self-interest. You are framing self-preservation (or in this case stated "self defense"), it is moral for the act of defense, having little to do with it be oneself or someone else. Hm.

Exactly.

And I thought I'd become collectivist recently. Tongue
Pages: [1]  
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies