Sherrod Brown: Medicare for all not 'practical'
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
May 26, 2024, 07:07:05 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Election Archive
  Election Archive
  2020 U.S. Presidential Election (Moderators: Likely Voter, YE)
  Sherrod Brown: Medicare for all not 'practical'
« previous next »
Pages: 1 2 [3]
Author Topic: Sherrod Brown: Medicare for all not 'practical'  (Read 3814 times)
Pheurton Skeurto
20RP12
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix
E: -5.29, S: -7.13

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #50 on: February 03, 2019, 02:27:00 PM »

2016 apparently.

https://www.huffingtonpost.com/entry/opinion-tulsi-gabbard-lgbtq-rights_us_5c3e250ce4b0922a21d93a93

And in all honesty I can't see anyone opposing Northam right now but at the same time playing the "oh but they've changed" card with Gabbard, whose bigotry was two decades more recent and far more hostile than the most who simply opposed gay marriage at the time--she actively took part in promoting conversion therapy as well.

An op-ed from HuffPost with one sliver of a quote? The relevant quote for those passing through:

You must be logged in to read this quote.

Is that the ideal stance on SSM? No. I'm not condoning her personal view, whatever it may be, on SSM. But just as we've seen that Donald Trump's personal views and political views are significantly different (pro-choice to suddenly appointing pro-life justices to SCOTUS) then it's more important to focus on how that person actually legislates. I'm not saying she's the perfect candidate, but there's a growing swell of misinformation around her that's being exacerbated by people with a personal vendetta against her.

Just a reminder: the anti-war purists who support Gabbard have no problem with her meeting with a war criminal who has killed hundreds of thousands of his own people are also likely the same people who compared W. Bush to hitler, called him an imperialist war criminal and wanted him tried at the Hague.

The hypocrisy is astounding, laughable and the very definition of "useful idiocy."

Speaking strictly for myself, it sure would be damning if someone considered a leftist icon had met with a dictator responsible for the deaths hundreds of thousands of his own people. That would be--

Hammy
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #51 on: February 03, 2019, 03:11:18 PM »

2016 apparently.

https://www.huffingtonpost.com/entry/opinion-tulsi-gabbard-lgbtq-rights_us_5c3e250ce4b0922a21d93a93

And in all honesty I can't see anyone opposing Northam right now but at the same time playing the "oh but they've changed" card with Gabbard, whose bigotry was two decades more recent and far more hostile than the most who simply opposed gay marriage at the time--she actively took part in promoting conversion therapy as well.

An op-ed from HuffPost with one sliver of a quote? The relevant quote for those passing through:

Is that the ideal stance on SSM? No. I'm not condoning her personal view, whatever it may be, on SSM. But just as we've seen that Donald Trump's personal views and political views are significantly different (pro-choice to suddenly appointing pro-life justices to SCOTUS) then it's more important to focus on how that person actually legislates. I'm not saying she's the perfect candidate, but there's a growing swell of misinformation around her that's being exacerbated by people with a personal vendetta against her. 

This is a valid point that I'll agree on, but nonetheless her past stance is not something I can forgive especially how extreme it was even for the time, and went far beyond the usual "but gay marriage simply isn't popular with the people" view at the time.
Jon Tester
Rookie

« Reply #52 on: February 03, 2019, 03:45:41 PM »

Sherrod said today in an IG story that he wants Medicare for All to eventually happen, but that the first step needs to be Medicare for 55+.
Sherrod Brown Shill
NerdFighter40351
United States

Political Matrix
E: -7.87, S: -6.43

« Reply #53 on: February 03, 2019, 03:48:46 PM »

Sherrod said today in an IG story that he wants Medicare for All to eventually happen, but that the first step needs to be Medicare for 55+.

No he said it wasn't practical shut up SHERROD BROWN CENTRIST NEOLIBERAL SHILL

/s of course
Hammy
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #54 on: February 03, 2019, 05:21:49 PM »

Not bad but hopefully eventually isn't decades from now.
libertpaulian
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #55 on: February 03, 2019, 05:24:19 PM »

The delusion among progressive activists that indys and moderates (such as myself) will stay home or vote for Trump in enough numbers just because some Dems aren't endorsing a pipe dream healthcare policy is something else.

Karpatsky
Ukraine

« Reply #56 on: February 03, 2019, 06:02:41 PM »

Speaking strictly for myself, it sure would be damning if someone considered a leftist icon had met with a dictator responsible for the deaths hundreds of thousands of his own people. That would be--

Of course, who could forget the time Assad was an indispensable ally in a total war against a massively worse global aggressor...

Or the time FDR flew to Moscow to meet with Stalin before it was his role as president to do so...
Pheurton Skeurto
20RP12
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix
E: -5.29, S: -7.13

« Reply #57 on: February 03, 2019, 06:31:31 PM »

Of course, who could forget the time Assad was an indispensable ally in a total war against a massively worse global aggressor...

Or the time FDR flew to Moscow to meet with Stalin before it was his role as president to do so...

The point was that the left is only hostile towards diplomacy when it's convenient for their narrative. Oh, Tulsi's a Russian sockpuppet you say? Well she met with Assad because she's an Assad lover, obviously.
Xeuma
Vatican City State

Political Matrix
E: -4.26, S: 0.00

P
« Reply #58 on: February 03, 2019, 07:02:19 PM »

The point was that the left is only hostile towards diplomacy when it's convenient for their narrative. Oh, Tulsi's a Russian sockpuppet you say? Well she met with Assad because she's an Assad lover, obviously.

The circumstances are entirely different. Tulsi's "diplomacy" is cause for alarm, if not disqualifying.
ON Progressive
OntarioProgressive
Junior Chimp
Canada

Political Matrix
E: -6.06, S: -8.70

« Reply #59 on: February 03, 2019, 09:34:47 PM »

2016 apparently.

Just a reminder: the anti-war purists who support Gabbard have no problem with her meeting with a war criminal who has killed hundreds of thousands of his own people are also likely the same people who compared W. Bush to hitler, called him an imperialist war criminal and wanted him tried at the Hague.

The hypocrisy is astounding, laughable and the very definition of "useful idiocy."

Ah yes, diplomacy between world leaders is absolutely the same thing as a backbencher Congresswoman meeting an enemy dictator. Got it.
Mr. Smith
MormDem
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #60 on: February 04, 2019, 01:03:50 AM »

I agree with him, all things considered. Her stated policy positions since taking office are obviously preferable, but Brown's past to my knowledge is nowhere near as sinister as Harris' history. (I'm a Californian, of course, so I'm naturally biased)

This.

Though it still wasn't wise of Brown to say this out loud. It's quite obvious with the current environment (read: As long as McConnell is Majority Leader) that just getting Medicare to 55 will be a stretch and should be a good increment to M4A.

However, rhetorically, it's the trap of starting with compromise from the get-go.
No War, but the War on Christmas
iBizzBee
Junior Chimp

« Reply #61 on: February 04, 2019, 01:09:33 AM »

So trying to understand what’s going on, on the ground and meeting with all sides before we commit forces shouldn’t have? That’s what’s laughable. And Tulsi is one of the FEW members of Congress whose demanded all aide for Saudi Arabia cease because of its atrocities in Yemen. Where’s the rest of the field with that?

https://youtu.be/YKgyGrkkGQA
GoTfan
GoTfan21
Junior Chimp
Australia

« Reply #62 on: February 04, 2019, 02:15:01 AM »

The circumstances are entirely different. Tulsi's "diplomacy" is cause for alarm, if not disqualifying.

To be blunt, would you rather have Assad or ISIS running things there. Those are your two choices, because the phantom 'moderate opposition' is exactly that; a phantom.

I sure as hell don't want ISIS running running Syria.
Xeuma
Vatican City State

Political Matrix
E: -4.26, S: 0.00

P
« Reply #63 on: February 04, 2019, 03:03:33 AM »

To be blunt, would you rather have Assad or ISIS running things there. Those are your two choices, because the phantom 'moderate opposition' is exactly that; a phantom.

I sure as hell don't want ISIS running running Syria.

You're absolutely correct, but there's a difference between diplomacy conducted by the President and Tulsi's hobnobbing with Assad. If Obama or Trump were meeting with Assad, that's as a representative of the United States; with Tulsi, its just Tulsi.
Orser67
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #64 on: February 04, 2019, 11:55:44 AM »

I respect his honesty and practicality. Though my chief healthcare priority (barring a massive landslide in 2020 that could make Medicare For All a serious possibility in 2021) is implementing the public option, rather than implementing Medicare at 55.
Hammy
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #65 on: February 04, 2019, 01:04:56 PM »

Nobody on the left is hostile towards diplomacy when it's done by people in actual diplomatic positions. Gabbard's job is to propose and vote on laws, secretly meet with dictators.
SN2903
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix
E: -1.48, S: 3.91

P P
« Reply #66 on: February 04, 2019, 08:22:37 PM »

Why cause he isn't insane that makes him a centrist? Medicare for all doesn't work in America. It's way too expensive.
Big Abraham
Junior Chimp
« Reply #67 on: February 04, 2019, 08:35:32 PM »

Why cause he isn't insane that makes him a centrist? Medicare for all doesn't work in America. It's way too expensive.

Total health expenditures per capita among OECD countries:

Possiblymaybe
« Reply #68 on: February 05, 2019, 06:20:03 AM »

This but I’d vote for many people over Harris, including perhaps Biden and Booker.
On what basis would you prefer them over Harris? Genuinely curious. Especially Biden.
Pages: 1 2 [3]  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies