If you could introduce a Constitutional Amendment What would it be (user search)
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
May 20, 2024, 11:06:25 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Discussion
  Constitution and Law (Moderator: Okay, maybe Mike Johnson is a competent parliamentarian.)
  If you could introduce a Constitutional Amendment What would it be (search mode)
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: If you could introduce a Constitutional Amendment What would it be  (Read 71269 times)
KingSweden
Atlas Icon
United States

« on: July 31, 2018, 04:46:46 PM »

- Some form of restriction on gerrymandering/money in politics
- Mandate supermajority votes in Senate for all judicial candidates
- Set a formula for House size growth. Wyoming Rule is my favorite but I’m open to suggestion
- Make Senators elected for single non-renewable 10 year terms
- Make process for amending Constitution easier
- Narrow the powers of Senate to up-down votes, with all legislation originating in the House. No amendments from Senate floor/committees.
- Single six-year term for the President/Vice President
- National popular vote
- Define Commerce Clause more narrowly to allow states more power over economic affairs without federal permission
- Some form of straightforwardly worded and understood equal rights amendment
KingSweden
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #1 on: August 01, 2018, 07:52:55 PM »

3/5ths or 2/3rds (like most Constitutional supermajorities)? If 2/3rds, you can pretty much guarantee that the federal judiciary will end up pretty much completely vacant.

2/3rds. Obviously that would go in hand with my other proposed reforms, the idea being towards guaranteeing consensus nominees
KingSweden
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #2 on: August 01, 2018, 10:33:49 PM »

3/5ths or 2/3rds (like most Constitutional supermajorities)? If 2/3rds, you can pretty much guarantee that the federal judiciary will end up pretty much completely vacant.

2/3rds. Obviously that would go in hand with my other proposed reforms, the idea being towards guaranteeing consensus nominees
How do guarantee consensus nominees? Just curious...

Well, nothing is ever guaranteed. But having a higher threshold for confirmation would presumably shift one away from more controversial/ideological candidates. There’d still be conservative or liberal judges, sure, but it wouldn’t be the kind of rubber stamp stuff we see now
Pages: [1]  
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies