Why do conservatives hate Hollywood? (user search)
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
May 20, 2024, 10:10:16 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  U.S. General Discussion (Moderators: The Dowager Mod, Chancellor Tanterterg)
  Why do conservatives hate Hollywood? (search mode)
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: Why do conservatives hate Hollywood?  (Read 16082 times)
Deus Naturae
Deus naturae
YaBB God
Croatia

« on: April 02, 2014, 11:52:19 PM »
« edited: April 02, 2014, 11:56:57 PM by Rep. Deus »

I got the impression that the economies of the districts were run by the Capitol for its own benefit. I mean, I don't think a private corporation was operating the mines in District 12.

But, I think the fact that some people are interpreting The Hunger Games as a right-wing film (I have heard people do this outside this forum) has more to do with who's in power than anything else. If the movie had come out when Bush was in charge, I think that it would overwhelmingly be seen as a left-wing film, if anything.
Deus Naturae
Deus naturae
YaBB God
Croatia

« Reply #1 on: April 03, 2014, 12:41:44 AM »

I'm not sure than opposing the system is right-wing. It can be a very left-wing position, too.

I assume you're talking about Hunger Games and Star Wars?  But it goes beyond that.  In the Hunger Games because the rural poor are shown as better off supporting themselves by hunting, small business, etc. and in Star Wars because the protagonists are out to preserve and later revive traditional religion against a government that oppresses it severely.  Although SW is more ambiguous because there are some explicit digs at Bush in Episode III for example.  But still the overall thesis of SW is religious freedom and the overthrow of an increasingly tyrannical government. 
Such as?
Pages: [1]  
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies