Reporting for Duty: The Presidency of John Kerry and Onwards.
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
May 22, 2024, 09:58:42 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Presidential Elections - Analysis and Discussion
  Election What-ifs? (Moderator: Dereich)
  Reporting for Duty: The Presidency of John Kerry and Onwards.
« previous next »
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 [7] 8 9 10 11
Author Topic: Reporting for Duty: The Presidency of John Kerry and Onwards.  (Read 26207 times)
Atlas Has Shrugged
ChairmanSanchez
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix
E: 5.29, S: -5.04

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #150 on: April 13, 2020, 06:19:13 PM »

What about the Green Party, does McKinney win in 2006 instead of losing to Hank Johnson in the primary, and does Nader win the GNC as he won various states in the primary.
Nader has already announced his decision to run as an independent with Native American activist and former Libertarian (lost to Ron Paul at the 1988 LNC) Russell Means. Nader is running as an independent again rather than as a Green, mainly because he had serious reservations about the party's bias in favor of David Cobb in 2004.

The Green Convention is in the next update; candidates including former Senator Mike Gravel, former Congresswoman Cynthia McKinney (who lost her primary like in OTL), edgelord Professor Ward Churchill, filmmaker Jesse Johnson, and activist Howie Hawkins. Also, no Green Party convention is complete without Kent Mesplay running.

I'm actually really looking forward to 2012, because that election will have some pretty cool and underlooked third party candidates.
What is Matt Gonzalez doing right now? He seems to be interesting as he almost defeated Gavin Newsom for mayor and I like the TL, Green Revolution on the Golden Gate by wilcoxhar.
Great question, because I thought of starting this project in 2000 rather than 2004 in the beginning, but I didn't feel like writing through what basically amounted to the OTL Bush administration. But I had Gonzalez as Mayor in that original draft. I might make use of him later somehow, because he is an interesting figure.
KaiserDave
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: -5.81, S: -5.39

P

« Reply #151 on: April 13, 2020, 06:41:25 PM »

Libertarians lol
Corbyn is (no longer) the leader of the Labour Party
DANNT

« Reply #152 on: April 13, 2020, 10:35:20 PM »

Just reading through for the first time, what were the circumstances that led to Kerry's victory?
Atlas Has Shrugged
ChairmanSanchez
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #153 on: April 14, 2020, 09:24:00 AM »

Just reading through for the first time, what were the circumstances that led to Kerry's victory?
I kinda left that vague. Ohio was close enough in OTL to flip but I’m not sure exactly how. Jerome Corsi still swift boated him, which is how he got the Constitution Party nomination.
Atlas Has Shrugged
ChairmanSanchez
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #154 on: April 16, 2020, 08:45:39 AM »

Sorry for the lack updates. I’ve been busy but I’ve worked out the June events. Is there anyone you’d like to see through the narrative? I’ve had some writers block in regards to that, so all suggestions are welcomed.
Huey Long is a Republican
New Tennessean Politician
YaBB God
United States

« Reply #155 on: April 16, 2020, 08:53:44 AM »

Maybe we can see Peter Boulware? OTL, he ran for Florida House of Representatives. Let's see what he's doing here and his thoughts on what's going on.
Continential
The Op
Atlas Politician
Atlas Icon
Political Matrix
E: 1.10, S: -5.30

P P P

« Reply #156 on: April 16, 2020, 08:54:54 AM »

Sorry for the lack updates. I’ve been busy but I’ve worked out the June events. Is there anyone you’d like to see through the narrative? I’ve had some writers block in regards to that, so all suggestions are welcomed.
What about the senate races?
KaiserDave
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: -5.81, S: -5.39

P

« Reply #157 on: April 16, 2020, 09:24:52 AM »

Obama or John Edwards perhaps?
Atlas Has Shrugged
ChairmanSanchez
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #158 on: April 16, 2020, 09:36:34 AM »

Maybe we can see Peter Boulware? OTL, he ran for Florida House of Representatives. Let's see what he's doing here and his thoughts on what's going on.
Never heard of him but I’ll check him out.

Obama or John Edwards perhaps?
Edwards will be in the August chapter actually. June seems like a dry period for events in this timeline.

What about the senate races?

I didn’t give the buildup to the midterms much thought besides a few candidate changes (Harris Miller, Adam Putnam, etc) but I’m actually going to do a special update on the state of the congressional races.
Junior Chimp

« Reply #159 on: April 16, 2020, 10:36:41 AM »

Well, it's quite obvious under this scenario you put in here Democrats wouldn't have nowhere near that big Senate Night that they had in the OTL in 2008.
So my guess on the Senate Races would be like this:

AK: Stevens def Begich (GOP Hold)
AL: Sessions def Figures (GOP Hold)
AR: Mark Pryor reelected Unopposed (DEM Hold)
CO: Schaffer def T. Udall (GOP Hold)
DE: Biden def O'Donnell (DEM Hold)
GA: Chambliss def Martin (GOP Hold without Runoff)
IA: Harkin def Reed (DEM hold)
ID: Risch def LaRocco (GOP Hold)
IL: Durbin def Sauerberg (DEM Hold)
KS: Roberts def Slattery (GOP Hold)
KY: McConnell def Lunsford (GOP Hold)
LA: Kennedy def Landrieu (GOP GAIN)
MA: Kerry def Beatty (DEM Hold)
ME: Collins def Allen (GOP Hold)
MI: Levin def Hoogendyk (DEM Hold)
MN: Coleman def Franken (GOP Hold)
MS-1: Cochran def Fleming (GOP Hold)
MS-2: Wicker def Musgrove (GOP Hold)
MT: Baucus def Kelleher (DEM Hold)
NC: Dole def Hagan (GOP Hold)
NE: Johanns def Kleeb (GOP Hold)
NH: Shaheen def Sununu (DEM GAIN)
NJ: Lautenberg def Zimmer (DEM Hold)
NM: T. Udall def Pearce (DEM GAIN)
OK: Inhofe def Rice (GOP Hold)
OR: Merkley def Smith (DEM GAIN)
RI: Reed def Tingle (DEM Hold)
SC: Graham def Conley (GOP Hold)
SD: Johnson def Dykstra (DEM Hold)
TN: Alexander def Tuke (GOP Hold)
TX: Cornyn def Noriega (GOP Hold)
VA: Warner def Gilmore (DEM GAIN)
WV: Rockefeller def Wolfe (DEM Hold)
WY: Barrasso def Carter (GOP Hold)
YaBB God
United States

« Reply #160 on: April 16, 2020, 05:33:10 PM »

Well, it's quite obvious under this scenario you put in here Democrats wouldn't have nowhere near that big Senate Night that they had in the OTL in 2008.

IIRC, NH and OR were actually p close and in a bad year for Democrats, which 2008 will be, then those two seats could remain Republican for another six years. As for New Mexico, Domenici initially considered running for re-election before deciding to opt out after seeing how badly the GOP lost in 2006. Here, he'd likely run and win as, AFAIK, he was p popular, though this it'll be his last term. For LA, would the Republicans really throw in a grifter like Kennedy and allow him to win before having a solid Republican run instead? Arkansas might be changed as Sanchez hinted he'd be running for Senate here if I remember correctly. I agree with you on pretty much everything else except Virginia as Tom Davis could've won it but Sanchez hasn't made it clear if Gilmore is still the Republican Nominee there or not.
Junior Chimp

« Reply #161 on: April 16, 2020, 05:49:15 PM »

IIRC, NH and OR were actually p close and in a bad year for Democrats, which 2008 will be, then those two seats could remain Republican for another six years. As for New Mexico, Domenici initially considered running for re-election before deciding to opt out after seeing how badly the GOP lost in 2006. Here, he'd likely run and win as, AFAIK, he was p popular, though this it'll be his last term. For LA, would the Republicans really throw in a grifter like Kennedy and allow him to win before having a solid Republican run instead? Arkansas might be changed as Sanchez hinted he'd be running for Senate here if I remember correctly. I agree with you on pretty much everything else except Virginia as Tom Davis could've won it but Sanchez hasn't made it clear if Gilmore is still the Republican Nominee there or not.
Well, I also consider Demographic Changes in the States + the Thread Author has put in Jeb instead of Romney. Easy for Democrats to carpet-bomb Jeb with negative Ads blaming the Financial Crisis on Dubya.
YaBB God
United States

« Reply #162 on: April 16, 2020, 05:52:41 PM »

Well, I also consider Demographic Changes in the States + the Thread Author has put in Jeb instead of Romney. Easy for Democrats to carpet-bomb Jeb with negative Ads blaming the Financial Crisis on Dubya.

Yeah, but at this point, Senate Races weren't as closely linked as it is now. It was harder to nationalize a race then than it is now
Atlas Has Shrugged
ChairmanSanchez
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #163 on: April 16, 2020, 06:27:29 PM »

June will be up tonight. Sorry again for the delay.
YaBB God
United States

« Reply #164 on: April 16, 2020, 06:30:11 PM »

June will be up tonight. Sorry again for the delay.

Tis fine. Take as long as you need in order to make quality posts
Atlas Has Shrugged
ChairmanSanchez
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #165 on: April 16, 2020, 08:26:54 PM »
« Edited: April 24, 2020, 10:03:55 AM by Flarda Man »

Sunday, June 1st, 2008: Congressman Anthony Weiner quietly marries his girlfriend Lis Smith in a quiet ceremony in New York City. Weiner, who had previously dated Huma Abedin (a close confidante of Hillary Clinton) is reportedly considering a Mayoral campaign in 2009.

Monday, June 2nd, 2008: An immigrant from Sudan, inspired by Anwar al-Awlaki, enters a synagogue in Detroit and opens fire, injuring eight people before the gun jams. He flees on foot and is quickly spotted and arrested. Secretary of Homeland Security Jane Harman confirms that the shooting was an act of terrorism, though the FBI will quickly discover that the gunmen had no ties of any sort to terrorist organizations or radical clerics.

Wednesday, June 4th, 2008: Former Republican presidential candidate Senator George Allen (R-VA) endorses Jeb Bush in the name of party unity....and perhaps the Vice Presidency. Allen says his decision to finally endorse his former rival came after the Detroit shooting, an incident which he claims resulted from the Kerry administration's refusal to screen immigrants from troubled global hotspots.

Friday, June 6th, 2008: Colombian forces halt a convoy of trucks which crossed into the country from the Venezuelan border. Upon inspecting the vehicles, over 75,000 rounds of ammunition for AK-47's are discovered, while the lead driver is later revealed to have been an intelligence operative with connections to many figures in President Hugo Chavez.

Saturday, June 7th, 2008: Unknown gunman open fire on the house of the Kosovo's Prime Minister, resulting in a gunfight with security forces. Kosovo accuses the Russian government, a close ally of Serbia, of being behind the failed assassination attempt.

Sunday, June 8th, 2008: Twelve people are killed at a train station in Algiers when a suicide bomber detonates himself as he gets off the train. A communique from a local Jihadist group with known ties to Al Qaeda claims responsibility for the attack.

Tuesday, June 10th, 2008: The Republican majority in the Senate kills legislation introduced by Senator Feingold which would have implemented a tax on windfall profits from oil companies.

Friday, June 13th, 2008: While filming a prerecorded interview to air on Sunday's episode of Meet the Press host Tim Russert collapses and goes into cardiac arrest, dying in the ambulance after paramedics arrived.

Sunday, June 15th, 2008: Pakistani Prime Minister Benazir Bhutto warns that any American, Afghan, or NATO incursions into Pakistan's territory.

Monday, June 16th, 2008: Vice President Edwards is questioned by a reporter at a press conference about an alleged affair for the first time. Edwards adamantly denies the rumors and claims the GOP is "trying to swiftboat me."

Tuesday, June 17th, 2008: Presumptive Republican nominee Jeb Bush defends the GOP from allegations made by John Edwards, claiming that the source behind the original story in a 2007 edition of The National Inquirer

Friday, June 20th, 2008: Iranian President Ahmadinejad claims the CIA had plotted to assassinate him during his first official visit to Iran.

Sunday, June 22nd, 2008: Venezulan President Hugo Chavez threatens to put a moratorium on oil sales to the European Union in protest of recently enacted immigration.

Tuesday, June 24th, 2008: The state of Florida purchases 187,000 acres of land from US sugar as part of an effort to rehabilitate and restore the Everglades ecosystem.

Wednesday, June 25th, 2008: Britain strips Zimbabwean President Robert Mugabe of his knighthood in protest of his draconian and often violent surpression of human rights and opposition activists in the south African nation.

Friday, June 27th, 2008: As part of the quiet and prolonged (and frequently delayed or disrupted) process of the Six Party talks, a tentative deal in which North Korea agrees to allow UN inspectors to see their nuclear facility while the United States agrees to resume food aid and remove the DPRK from the official list of state sponsorers of terrorism.

2008 Election Polling.

(R) Jeb Bush: 46%
(D) John Kerry: 45%
Undecided: 8%
Other: 1%

Dark Blue: Solid Republican.
Light Blue: Lean Republican.
Gray: Toss Up.
Light Red: Lean Democratic.
Dark Red: Solid Democratic.

ALASKA: Longtime Republican incumbent Ted Stevens is in for the fight of his life after being indicted on seven corruption related charges. His challenger, Anchorage Mayor Mark Begich, is well funded with the backing of the national Democratic Party's establishment in a race that appears winnable. Begich is also known as the son of the late Congressman Nick Begich, who died in a mysterious plane crash over the "Alaska triangle."

2008 Alaska Senate Election:
(D) Mark Begich: 43%
(R) Ted Stevens: 40%
Undecided: 13%
Other: 4%

ARKANSAS: Mark Pryor, who is up for reelection for the first time, is facing a strong challenge in the form of Congressman John Boozman. Though some thought Mike Huckabee would run, the former Governor declined to seek the seat after his presidential run floundered, paving the way for Boozman.

2008 Arkansas Senate Election:
(R) John Boozman: 46%
(D) Mark Pryor: 45%
Undecided: 8%

COLORADO: One of the more competive states, Colorado's Senate election is expected to be among the most critical contests. Tom Udall, a Congressman and a relation to one of the most prominent political dyanasties in the American west, is on course to easily clear through the non-competive primary to face Bob Schaffer, a former Congressman.

2008 Colorado Senate Election:
(D) Tom Udall: 42%
(R) Bob Schaffer: 38%
Undecided: 20%
Other: 3%

KENTUCKY: Mitch McConnell vowed to make President Kerry a "one term President" was paying the price. The Senate's obstruction of the President's policy initiatives had become a successful and often used theme as the Kerry campaign geared up for the general election campaign. It seemed to be working. Kerry's successful push to expand healthcare and to give amnesty to undocumented "dreamers" defined his first term, but the 2006 election of a near Republican super-majority rendered him a lame duck. State Auditor Crit Luallen is set to win her primary unchallenged and has been slowly eating away at McConnell's lead.

2008 Kentucky Senate Election:
(R) Mitch McConnell: 50%
(D) Crit Luallen: 39%
Undecided: 5%

LOUISIANA: Former Democratic State Treasurer John Neely Kennedy defected to the GOP in 2007, ironically charting an easier course to the Republican nomination than would have never had should he remain a Democrat. The lingering trauma of Katrina loomed over the race, which appears to be on track towards a repeat of the extremely narrow 2002 runoff. Landrieu remains one of, if not the most vulnerable Senators up for reelection in 2008.

2008 Louisiana Senate Election:
(R) John N. Kennedy: 51%
(D) Mary Landrieu: 42%
Undecided: 4%
Other: 2%

MINNESOTA: The Democrats scored a major recruit when former SNL star and comedian Al Franken announced his campaign for Norm Coleman's seat in the Senate. However, his campaign starts off the general election nearly 10 points behind. The comedian candidate was excellent at playing the role of candidate, and was noticeably more sober in tone. Dean Barkley, a former Senator, is also in the mix.

2008 Minnesota Senate Election:
(R) Norm Coleman: 45%
(D) Al Franken: 45%
(I) Dean Barkley: 8%
Undecided: 1%

NEW HAMPSHIRE: After a failed effort to overhaul school administration and raise wages for educators, Jeanne Shaheen set her sights on the seat she unsuccessfully sought in 2002. With more executive experience thanks to her time in Washington, Shaheen cleared the field well in advance of the Democratic primary as she moves towards advances to her rematch with

2008 New Hampshire Senate Election:
(R) John Sununu: 42%
(D) Jeanne Shaheen: 36%
Undecided 20%

NEW MEXICO: The 2008 New Mexico Senate race was heated from the moment Pete Domenici announced his retirement, citing unnamed health issues. In reality, he was weeks away from being revealed as the father of fellow Senator Paul Laxalt's grandson, a scandal that would shroud his departure from the Senate in controversy. The ensuing Republican Party saw Congresswoman Heather Wilson in competition with fellow Representative Steve Pearce in a divisive primary, while Tom Udall went unopposed on the Democrat side. Wilson prevailed and the GOP quickly began dumping money into the race in order to hold the seat for the party.

2008 New Mexico Senate Election:
(R) Heather Wilson: 41%
(D) Tom Udall: 34%
Undecided: 23%

NORTH CAROLINA: After her presidential bid ended, Dole jumped back into the Senate race and quickly cleared the GOP field. Her opponent is State Senator Kay Hagan, a relative of former Florida Senator Lawton Chiles. Though the race had been tight before Dole's entrance as three relatively unknown lawmakers prepared to face the equally unknown State Senator, Dole's record and name recognition quickly alters the playing field.

2008 North Carolina Senate Election:
(R) Elizabeth Dole: 52%
(D) Kay Hagan: 36%
Undecided: 9%

OREGON: The victory of progressive attorney and anti-war activist Steve Novick over State House Speaker Jeff Merkley changed the dynamic of what was once described as a tossup Senate race. Though nationally known liberals like Senator Russ Feingold (D-WI) backed Novick, his lack of name recognition results in incumbent Gordon Smith taking the lead.

2008 Oregon Senate Election:
(R) Gordon Smith: 45%
(D) Steve Novick: 38%
Undecided: 14%

SOUTH DAKOTA: After the death of Senator Tim Johnson, Governor Rounds nominated his Lt. Governor Dennis Daugaard to succeed the deceased Senator. Now Daugaard faces Congresswoman Stephanie Herseth-Sandlin, who faces an uphill climb to reclaim the seat for her party.

2008 South Dakota Senate Election
(R) Dennis Daugaard: 47%
(D) Stephanie Sandlin: 35%
Unknown: 17%

VIRGINIA: Though former Governor Gilmore was weighing a presidential campaign, his lack of national name recognition made him a non-starter. Instead of seeking the White House, he turns his attention instead towards John Warner's soon to be open seat in the Senate. Entering the race as a favorite of the GOP establishment, he faces off against former Richmond Mayor Tim Kaine.

2008 Virginia Senate Election
(R) Jim Gilmore: 43%
(D) Tim Kaine: 31%
Undecided: 24%

WEST VIRGINIA: Congresswoman Shelly Moore-Capito, the daughter of the colorful former Governor, has entered the race against longtime incumbent Jay Rockefeller. Campaigning against the Senator (whom she called a carpetbagger on the campaign trail) vigorously, Moore-Capito is a very credible threat according to Rockefeller's advisers.

2008 West Virginia Senate Election.
(D) Jay Rockefeller: 35%
(R) Shelly Moore-Capito 33%
Undecided: 29%
OSR stands with Israel
Computer89
Atlas Legend

Political Matrix
E: 3.42, S: 2.61

P P P

« Reply #166 on: April 16, 2020, 09:17:02 PM »

Virginia should be Solid R imo as the trend what happens in OTL doesn’t happen if Bush loses other than maybe slightly
President of the great nation of 🏳️‍⚧️
Peebs
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #167 on: April 16, 2020, 09:44:06 PM »

Today I learned Kay Hagan was Lawton Chiles' niece.
Don Vito Corleone
bruhgmger2
Canada

Political Matrix
E: -6.32, S: -5.91

« Reply #168 on: April 17, 2020, 10:04:56 AM »

Why was the Montana Senate Race so close in 2006?
Atlas Has Shrugged
ChairmanSanchez
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #169 on: April 17, 2020, 01:43:50 PM »

Looking back upon it, I think you're right. This is basically a vastly more detailed and realistic revamp of a project I'm working on and off again since 2012. I forget to amend parts of from the original draft a couple times per update, but I usually catch them when I review at the end.

I also did not realize that Bush's victory over Kerry in VA was by eight points. So I'm gonna amend that too, because OSR raised a point I've overlooked. I also amended the 2006 Senate race in Vermont because I forgot I had Governor Douglas as a candidate against Sanders. The margin is tighter now.

It's been encouraging to hear all of your compliments, constructive criticism, and ideas. I've broken through my writer's bloc and I'm going to take this to the finish. Afterwards I plan to work on the parliamentary America project I've been tinkering with. Thanks for reading guys!
OSR stands with Israel
Computer89
Atlas Legend

Political Matrix
E: 3.42, S: 2.61

P P P

« Reply #170 on: April 17, 2020, 01:47:51 PM »

Looking back upon it, I think you're right. This is basically a vastly more detailed and realistic revamp of a project I'm working on and off again since 2012. I forget to amend parts of from the original draft a couple times per update, but I usually catch them when I review at the end.

I also did not realize that Bush's victory over Kerry in VA was by eight points. So I'm gonna amend that too, because OSR raised a point I've overlooked. I also amended the 2006 Senate race in Vermont because I forgot I had Governor Douglas as a candidate against Sanders. The margin is tighter now.

It's been encouraging to hear all of your compliments, constructive criticism, and ideas. I've broken through my writer's bloc and I'm going to take this to the finish. Afterwards I plan to work on the parliamentary America project I've been tinkering with. Thanks for reading guys!

Looking forward to the rest of this TL Smiley
YaBB God
United States

« Reply #171 on: April 17, 2020, 01:50:01 PM »

I agree with OSR. Can't wait to see the rest of the tl
Atlas Has Shrugged
ChairmanSanchez
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #172 on: April 17, 2020, 01:56:49 PM »

Thanks guys, I'm starting on July right now.
Atlas Has Shrugged
ChairmanSanchez
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #173 on: April 18, 2020, 02:38:24 PM »
« Edited: April 19, 2020, 07:33:56 PM by Flarda Man »

Wednesday, July 2nd, 2008: Ingrid Betancourt is freed by Colombian forces during a raid on a FARC stronghold in a mountainous rural region. The former politician had been held by FARC as a hostage for six years.

Friday, July 4th, 2008: America celebrates Independence Day festivities, with both Bush and Kerry using the holiday to make their case to the voters as the general election looms in November.

Sunday, July 6th, 2008: During a phone call between President Kerry and Israeli Prime Minister Ehud Olmert, President Kerry warns Israel of launching a preemptive air or missile strike on Iranian nuclear facilities.

Tuesday, July 8th, 2008: The French Embassy in Iraq is targeted by a suicide bomber; 7 Iraqi civilians are killed, but no westerners are injured or killed.

Thursday, July 10th, 2008: The Green Party Convention opens in Chicago.

2008 Green National Convention
Sunday, July 12th, 2008.
3:45 PM, Chicago, IL.

[1]

Wednesday, July 16th, 2008: Federal Reserve Chair Ben Bernanke denies that Fannie Mae and Freddie Mac are endangered due to the subprime mortgage crisis during a hearing before the Senate Finance Committee.

Thursday, July 17th, 2008: Governor Bush tasks longtime aide Sally Bradshaw with directing the Vice Presidential pick. The presumptive Republican nominee's shortlist has yet to be leaked, but media speculation rapidly grows.

Friday, July 18th, 2008: A suicide bombing in Kabul kills 29 people, including four Irish citizens working as part of the Red Cross mission in the country.

Saturday, July 19th, 2008: Jeb Bush and former National Security Adviser Condi Rice travel to Europe for a series of meetings with Prime Minister Brown, Chancellor Merkel, and President Sarkozy on an introductory tour of sorts in the EU.

Sunday, July 20th, 2008: Vice President Edwards travels to California with a small group of campaign aides to attend a Hollywood fundraiser hosted by Ted Danson, before retiring to the Beverly Hills Hilton for the night.

John
Monday,July 21st, 2008.
3:45 AM, Hollywood, CA.

[3]

The Vice President cracked the door open, took one last look at Rielle sleeping clad in one of his dress shirts, and then peered down the hall. Assuming he was safe, he closed the door behind him and briskly walked towards the elevators, where two Secret Service agents awaited him behind. He was not thirty paces away from them when a flash behind him caught his attention. He felt his stomach drop as he realized a TMZ crew had been awaiting him. "Mr. Vice President" shouted one, alerting the nearby agents to jump into action. They rushed the Vice President towards the stairwell, but the crew followed, shouting out the same question: "are you nailing Rielle Hunter?"

"No" replied Edwards, before he retreated into a restroom near the lobby while his agents blocked the door and the camera crew. The TMZ team retreated themselves when more aggressive agents swarmed the lobby, but they had all the footage they needed. They went upstairs again, this time intending to interview Rielle about their rumored affair, but when they arrived to knock upon the door, they heard the cries of a newborn infant.

The next morning, the Vice President boarded a flight on Air Force 2, where he quickly fell into a deep sleep as he was both physically and emotionally exhausted. He did not get an hours rest till he heard the knocking on the private compartment door. Immediately roused from his slumber, the Vice President found his Chief of Staff Andrew Young looking paler than a ghost. He motioned for Edwards to follow, taking a few steps down the central aisle that leads to the executive office on the plane. Fox News was on, and as Edwards felt a sense of dread unlike any he'd ever known when he looked upon the screen.

Then his phone began to ring. It was Elizabeth.

[4]

[1] Taken from Wikipedia Commons (Albert Herring)
[2] Original work, not public domain.
[3] Taken from Wikipedia Commons (Public Domain)
[4] Taken from Gawker. What are they gonna do about it?
Atlas Has Shrugged
ChairmanSanchez
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #174 on: April 20, 2020, 05:07:30 PM »
« Edited: November 10, 2023, 11:59:53 PM by Roger Waters for Something 2024. »

Saturday, August 2nd, 2008: California's Peace & Freedom Party nominates Ralph Nader for President and Russell Means for Vice President, ensuring that Nader will get on the ballot in California over the Green, Socialist, Socialist Workers, and the Party for Socialism and Liberation.

Sunday, August 3rd, 2008: Jeb Bush's VP shortlist is leaked. The twelve listed are Senator George Allen (R-VA), Senator Sam Brownback (R-KS), businesswoman Carly Fiorina (R-CA), former Mayor Rudy Giuliani, Governor Bobby Jindal (R-LA), Governor Sarah Palin (R-AK), Governor Tim Pawlenty, Governor Rick Perry (R-TX), Governor Mitt Romney (R-MA), Senator Rick Santorum (R-PA), Senator Michael Steele (R-MD), Senator John Thune (R-SD)

Monday, August 4th, 2008: Under increasing media and public pressure, Vice President Edwards admits to having an affair with a campaign staffer as his wife battled breast cancer in a statement. He denies being the father of Rielle Hunter's child, claiming that his staffer Andrew Young is the biological father. Young later confirms this allegation in an interview with MSNBC's Chris Matthews.

Wednesday, August 6th, 2008: A military coup in Mauritania led by Mohamed Ould Abdel Aziz results in the country's previous leader being sent into exile.

Friday, August 8th, 2008: Democratic National Committee chairwoman Susan Turnbull calls for Vice President Edwards to resign. Edwards office responds that the Vice President is focused on healing his family and will reconsider his position before the Democratic National Convention in September.

Saturday, August 9th, 2008: In the early morning hours, Georgia's military launches a massive operation in the breakaway province of South Ossetia. The Georgian forces quickly dispatch the Russian trained rebel forces, resulting in Russian's Prime Minister Vladimir Putin threatening to launch retaliatory operations against Georgian forces.

Sunday, August 9th, 2008: A firefight between Colombian and Venezuelan troops along the border results in several injuries, but no fatalities are reported. President Uribre calls for a meeting of the Colombian legislature to address the nation on the growing crisis.

Monday, August 10th, 2008: With the Supreme Court's term looming in early October, Justice David Souter announces he will reside from the bench. However, the Republican Senate majority invokes what they call "the Biden precedent" (named after Senator Joe Biden), which argues a SCOTUS nomination cannot be filled until the presidential election is completed. President Kerry insists he will nominate a replacement in due time.

Kerry
Wednesday, August 12th, 2008.
9:15 AM, Washington, DC.

[1]

President Kerry stood with his shadow lingering over the Resolute Desk as the Vice President was called into the Oval Office coldly by Mary Beth Cahill. The President found himself at a loss for words, in spite of the many hours he'd spent the night before trying to find the proper words. In the end, the President found the silence to be louder than any torrent of rage.

"You want me to resign, Mr. President. I understand - "

"No, John, I don't understand!" boomed the President, shaming his Vice President the same way a schoolmaster would admonish a pupil. "How could....how can you do this to your wife?"

"Mr. President, we both know that the Elizabeth Edwards the public knows is not the one I go home too each night -"

"Can it, John. I've been divorced too. All you had to do is wait. Just wait. All you had to do is wait to your wife to get better, and forgive me for being so morbid, but frankly then all you had to do is wait til she's expired. Now, you've hurt your kids, you've probably worsened their mother's health, and you have threatened my presidency, everything we've accomplished, and worst of all, the people who have benefited from the work we've been doing."

"You want me to resign. Just say it Mr. President."

"You can't be real. Are you f**king high? Or just stupid -

"I don't -

"The Senate is controlled by a next to near Republican super-majority. They won't fill the vacancy. Do you want Roy Blunt to occupy this office if something happened to me?"

"Well what else-"

"You're off the ticket, John. I suggest you read up about what Spiro Agnew did after he was Vice President. I suggest you fade off into irrelevance and take your place as a sad asterisk, a wart on the ass of history."

Thursday, August 13th, 2008: The Russian army storms over the border into South Ossetia in a military operation launched by Prime Minister Vladimir Putin. Within minutes, Georgian forces across the region fall under aerial and artillery bombardment, while Russian troops quickly link up with separatist rebels in towards near the Russian border.

President Kerry convenes a meeting of his National Security Council to discuss and coordinate NATO's message and response to the Russian invasion of Georgia. Meanwhile, Governor Bush argues that Kerry's foreign policy "invited" the Russians into Georgian territory and proclaims "today, we are all Georgian" at a campaign rally in Pittsburgh.

Friday, August 14th, 2008: Governor Bush's campaign is reportedly whittled down the shortlist of potential Vice Presidential candidates to four. The leaker within the campaign tells the Washington Post that Senator George Allen (R-VA), Governor Sarah Palin (R-AK), and Senator John Thune (R-SD) are the leading contenders.

Sunday, August 16th, 2008: Russian separatist leaders in Abkhazia and Ossetia claim the government of Georgia is ethnically cleansing the ethnically Russian population. Secretary of State Steinberg denies the Kremlin's account of such events.

Monday, August 17th, 2008: The Bush campaign schedules a rally in Miami on Wednesday as the updated shortlist is leaked to media. The final three from the initial shortlist who made it through the vetting process include three shortlisters (Senators Allen and Thune, plus Governor Palin) as well as New Jersey Governor Chris Christie, who was not known to be in consideration for it.

Tuesday, August 18th, 2008: Bill Gwatney, chair of the Democratic Party of Arkansas, is assassinated in his office by a gunman who turns the pistol on himself afterwards. Following an exhaustive FBI investigation, political and terroristic motivations are ruled out, with the gunman's true motive remaining unknown.

Mike.
Wednesday, August 18th, 2008.
2:00 PM, Miami, Florida.

[2]

"Ladies and gentlemen, the next Vice President of the United States."

Governor Huckabee walked out from behind the stage to the thunderous cheers and unyielding applause as a crowd of local Bush die-hards welcomed the news with excitement. Huckabee was a populist preacher who could give speeches with the passion of a Baptist sermon. The embodiment of a values voter by nature, the former Arkansas Governor complimented the technocratic Republican nominee well. If Bush was the shiny, polished hope of the future, than Huckabee was the genteel family man. When Bush invoked of Ronald Reagan's "morning in America," Huckabee presented the nostalgic past of pastoral America. The selection of Mike Huckabee was met with praise by the GOP base, particularly the Tea Party wing which was lukewarm in regards to their opinion of Governor Bush.

"Governor Bush....Jeb" began Huckabee, "I want to tell you here and now what I said this morning, and that is that this is the greatest honor of my life thus far." Jeb nodded at Huckabee politely, than he continued. "President Kerry's first term has been a disastrous experiment with social democracy. He claimed healthcare reform would lift millions out of poverty. But now, premiums remain expensive, and the number of those under the poverty line has only risen."

"John Kerry's America is not just an assault on our economy. Indeed, the President and his sycophants in Washington have waged a war against religion that threatens not just our values, but our very way of life. With his radical liberal agenda unchecked, I fear America's soul is at stake in this election. And that is a fight we simply cannot afford to use."

Jeb watched on nervously; it appeared that his running mate was diving into the deep end of the evangelical pool, which the Bush campaign feared would alienate independents and swing voters. But he made no effort to interrupt or signal to the Governor, who spoke at a podium with his back turned towards Jeb.

"......but with Divine Providence's guidance, and with the inherent goodness of the American people, I believe that there is nothing stopping us from rolling back the descent into atheistic Bolshevism that our country's stoic silent majority have endured for too long!

"Oh Jesus Christ" whispered Jeb to Senator Putnam as Reverend Huckabee's sermon continued.

Friday, August 20th, 2008: As the Republican National Convention nears, the first draft of the 2008 platform is quietly compiled. Governor Bush obviously expected that his immigration platform, widely criticized in the GOP primaries, would be met with considerable opposition. Not wanting the party to fracture out the gate over such a polarizing issue, Bush begins wooing delegates from rural areas by highlighting the need for migrant seasonal workers and immigration reform. Despite this, talk radio host Rush Limbaugh goes to the airwaves to warn against an attempt to pass an "amnesty plank" to the platform.

Sunday, August 22nd, 2008: Governor Bush and President Kerry attend a forum held at Rick Warren's Saddleback Church in California. Kerry expresses support for civil unions, while Bush argues against legalizing same-sex marriage.

The 2008 Republican Convention
Wednesday, August 25th, 2008 - Saturday, August 28th, 2008.
12:45 PM, Saint Paul, Minnesota.

[3]

[4]

......but we also face troubles at home. This election is about the future of this nation. We can....we must....shape that future with what we do here, with what we do November 4th. We can restore America's greatness. That starts with a strong economy, a smart energy policy, lower deficits, and a president who puts America's workers and job-creators first. But to have a great future - a secure future - a future that is equal to our potential as a nation, we need to do something else.

We must make sure that our children and grandchildren are ready for the world we are shaping today. It starts in our homes, in our communities, and especially in our schools. As a candidate and Governor, I visited over 400 schools. I saw children read their first sentences. Solve their first long-division problems. Explore the miracles of chemistry and physics.

That's the essence of education - students getting a chance at a future. There are many reasons to believe America's future is bright, but also reasons to worry.  Of 34 advanced nations in the world, American students rank 17th in science, 25th in math. Only one-fourth of high school graduates are ready for their next steps. China and India produce eight times more engineering students each year than the United States. There is a moral cost to our failing schools.

We say that every child in America has an equal opportunity. Tell that to a kid in whose classroom learning isn't respected. Tell that to a parent stuck in a school where there is no leadership. Tell that to a young, talented teacher who just got laid off because she didn't have tenure. The sad truth is that equality of opportunity doesn't exist in many of our schools. We give some kids a chance, but not all.

That failure is the great moral and economic issue of our time. And it's hurting all of America.I believe we can meet this challenge.

But education is merely one facet of our society where inefficiency and inequality meet to form a toxic stagnation....

[1] Taken from Wikipedia Commons (Richard Block)
[2] Taken from Huffington Post (Scott Olson)
[3] Own Wikipedia creation.
[4] EPA/Shawn Thew.
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 [7] 8 9 10 11  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies