Department of Homeland Security v. Regents of the University of California
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
May 18, 2024, 12:54:39 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Discussion
  Constitution and Law (Moderator: Okay, maybe Mike Johnson is a competent parliamentarian.)
  Department of Homeland Security v. Regents of the University of California
« previous next »
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: Department of Homeland Security v. Regents of the University of California  (Read 447 times)
Lisa's voting Biden
LCameronAL
United States

Political Matrix
E: -2.75, S: -3.83

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: November 12, 2019, 05:23:48 PM »

This case is being argued today, November 12, 2019.

Two questions are being asked:
  • Is the DHS's decision to wind down DACA judicially reviewable?
  • Is the DHS's decision to wind down DACA lawful?

How do you expect the court to decide this case? What will the vote be?
True Federalist (진정한 연방 주의자)
Ernest
Moderators
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #1 on: November 12, 2019, 07:00:40 PM »

From what I've seen in the news, the only real question is did Trump use proper procedure to shut down DACA. I've seen some people try to argue that this time Trump's sloppiness was deliberate in hopes of getting a ruling that would prevent a future administration from restoring DACA, but Trump so far has shown he can't even play 1D Chess well. I suspect that the Court's decision to hear the case had nothing to do with DACA per se, but wanting to examine the scope of reliance interest. As far as DACA itself is concerned, at most the Court will rule Trump needs to end DACA in a proper manner, not that he can't.
brucejoel99
Atlas Icon
Ukraine

Political Matrix
E: -3.48, S: -3.30

« Reply #2 on: November 12, 2019, 07:41:06 PM »

From what I've seen in the news, the only real question is did Trump use proper procedure to shut down DACA. I've seen some people try to argue that this time Trump's sloppiness was deliberate in hopes of getting a ruling that would prevent a future administration from restoring DACA, but Trump so far has shown he can't even play 1D Chess well. I suspect that the Court's decision to hear the case had nothing to do with DACA per se, but wanting to examine the scope of reliance interest. As far as DACA itself is concerned, at most the Court will rule Trump needs to end DACA in a proper manner, not that he can't.

Yeah, this. In my opinion, it seems like the most likely ruling will be that Trump is technically okay to do what he wanted to do (being a president wanting to overturn an executive order), just not in the specific fashion that he did (on the basis of a supposed unconstitutionality), similarly to the citizenship question on the census.
○∙◄☻¥tπ[╪AV┼cVê└
jfern
Atlas Institution

Political Matrix
E: -7.38, S: -8.36

« Reply #3 on: November 12, 2019, 07:54:49 PM »

Funny enough the current UC President is a former secretary of Homeland Security. She's an awful President.
Pages: [1]  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies