My Idea for electing Supreme Court justices (user search)
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
May 17, 2024, 09:28:19 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Discussion
  Constitution and Law (Moderator: Okay, maybe Mike Johnson is a competent parliamentarian.)
  My Idea for electing Supreme Court justices (search mode)
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: My Idea for electing Supreme Court justices  (Read 4041 times)
🦀🎂🦀🎂
CrabCake
Atlas Icon
Kiribati

« on: February 25, 2016, 08:14:01 PM »
« edited: February 26, 2016, 09:01:19 AM by CrabCakes »

OK, so it's clear that the SC - a bunch of hyperpowered geriatrics that pretends to be unpoliticised, even if they blates ain't - is getting a bit crazy. The only reason anybody likes the Court is that they are less embarassing than Congress, which isn't the world's most ringing endorsement. So here's my idea to fix it:

1) Justices have 18 year terms (not term limits though, incumbent justices can run again. This introduces some accountability, without being to mad (i.e. kicking people off the bench when they're actually pretty good nominees.

2) Have multiple potential Justices apply for the same position when it comes up (which would be at the beginning of each new Congress - i.e. the first act of a new Congress would be to elect a new Justice (i.e. every single Congress would select a new Justice - or pick the old one - from a pool of candidates.)

3)  The new judge should be picked by IRV of the candidates and (importantly) via a secret ballot of the Senate. The secret ballot prevents the hysterical politicisation of the Court, the litmus testing etc. (this is onw issue where "sensible moderates" have a point - I'd  rather have the Senate pick candidates that are the median ideology if uts members than have a court of opposites)

4) unexpected vacancies should be elected by a special election, and the justice will serve the rest of the deceased/retired/disgraced justice's term.
🦀🎂🦀🎂
CrabCake
Atlas Icon
Kiribati

« Reply #1 on: February 25, 2016, 11:32:39 PM »

I understand why people dislike electing judges, but it's not like judges aren't effectively elected already and - tbh - I prefer overpowering the legislature to overpowering the executive branch. The POTUS is a ridiculously overpowered office as it is.

Also the secret ballot would end a lot of the issues people have with elected judges (i.e. there would be no pressure for parties to close ranks around or against a nominee, etc). It would likely lead to a lot of bland moderate hero judges, but I'll take that over the current situation.
🦀🎂🦀🎂
CrabCake
Atlas Icon
Kiribati

« Reply #2 on: February 26, 2016, 09:01:04 AM »

Why 14 years? Seems to me that 18 makes more sense, if we're sticking with 9 members on the court for the time being. That way one seat opens up every two years (unless someone dies or steps down, in which case an appointment is made to the remainder of that term).

Agreed with what everyone else said about elections. Just a bad, bad idea.

Because, err, I can't count lol.
🦀🎂🦀🎂
CrabCake
Atlas Icon
Kiribati

« Reply #3 on: June 03, 2016, 12:25:13 PM »

I can't wait until the first campaign commercial for justice Scalia jr., Preceded by his first $1,000 a plate dinner.

I think instead of law school pedigrees we should look to commercials to see who's a real American/has castrated pigs in the past.

learn to read lol
Pages: [1]  
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies