If you were appointed the drawer all the congressional districts for 2022... (user search)
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
May 14, 2024, 12:10:28 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Other Elections - Analysis and Discussion
  Congressional Elections (Moderators: Brittain33, GeorgiaModerate, Gass3268, Virginiá, Gracile)
  If you were appointed the drawer all the congressional districts for 2022... (search mode)
Pages: [1]
Poll
Question: ...how would you do it?
Republican gerrymander, even more so than the current one

Slight Republican gerrymander, but not going too far

Deliberately drawing swing districts all over the country to elect centrist Congress

Strict ban on gerrymandering, just drawing without any racial or partisan information

Marginal Democratic gerrymander, but not to an extreme

Complete Democratic gerrymander, getting rid of GOP in Cali, NY, and IL

Show Pie Chart
Partisan results

Total Voters: 88

Calculate results by number of options selected
Author Topic: If you were appointed the drawer all the congressional districts for 2022...  (Read 4581 times)
smoltchanov
Junior Chimp
Russian Federation

« on: February 14, 2017, 03:17:08 AM »

"Strict ban on gerrymandering, just drawing without any racial or partisan information", obviously.

Extremely tired of excessive partisanship and gerrymandering in general, but recognize that there are large enough liberal and conservative areas, which must have their representation.
smoltchanov
Junior Chimp
Russian Federation

« Reply #1 on: February 17, 2017, 11:05:10 AM »
« Edited: February 17, 2017, 12:09:34 PM by smoltchanov »

VRA will not be used.  

Maximum compactness. Keep densely-populated areas intact whenever possible. Take no information into account except those two considerations.

I approve!

I like this.

Me too. And i absolutely dislike VRA. IMHO - Democrats in the South lost 2-3 districts to ultraconservative Republicans for each VRA-district, being it in House or state legislatures. And an example of Mississippi's legislative district, which elected Black Democrat in 2007 (SD-04), and almost reelected him in 2011 whole neing about 95% white, on one side,  and number of congressional examples (Ellison and Cleaver are routinely reelected in 65% whote districts, while Steve Cohen just as easily wins 64% Black district) show me that good candidate can win almost everywhere. After all, not especially "racially progressive" South Carolina elects black Senator, and Utah (where LDS church discriminated blacks until 1970th) elects black woman to House. "Artificial means" usually bring more harm, then good, even when initial intention were noble.

P.S. Note that i am even more strongly oppose ANY gerrymandering, so "Republicans could gerrymander districts so there would be no Blacks elected from the South" will not convince me in this matter. If I would be a drawer - no such gerrymandering would be possible, and first 2 criteria for me would be compactness (i hate "tentacles" in many present districts) and COI...
Pages: [1]  
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies