Do you feel "the system" is working more or less as it should? (user search)
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
May 17, 2024, 12:04:02 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Forum Community
  Forum Community (Moderators: The Dowager Mod, YE, KoopaDaQuick 🇵🇸)
  Do you feel "the system" is working more or less as it should? (search mode)
Pages: [1]
Poll
Question: ?
Yes

No

Show Pie Chart
Partisan results

Total Voters: 45

Author Topic: Do you feel "the system" is working more or less as it should?  (Read 3090 times)
DC Al Fine
Atlas Icon
Canada

« on: January 01, 2016, 09:36:29 AM »

I came across this posted in the Good Post Gallery.

Most students are studying under the pall of five-figure debt, marginal job prospects at graduation, and parents whose retirement remains totally unsecured. Nearly half of them won't finish their degrees, and increasingly large shares attend "schools" that we wouldn't recognize as institutions of higher learning in the first place. Many are "non-traditional" students, which usually entails balancing one's studies with menial service sector work, child care, or elder care.

snip

across most walks of life in the United States, "higher education" has come to resemble nothing so much as Saturn devouring his young.

Lately I've been finding this rhetoric ringing hollow. That's not to pick on Maddy or Averroes. This sort of argument about economic decline can be found all across the internet from both left and right.

I won't bore you with some tedious story about how hard I worked and how I did everything right, but to make a long story short, my wife and I both graduated without too much student debt and make reasonable incomes. Our parents are both set to retire in the next few years and will have comfortable if somewhat modest retirements. There is also economic data out there, that would suggest that while things are not booming, the middle class is not on the major decline some make it out to be.

Am I completely in the wrong here? Or do others feel similar to me? Is "the system" working?
DC Al Fine
Atlas Icon
Canada

« Reply #1 on: January 01, 2016, 12:50:36 PM »

Our education system, you mean? I would say yes for the most part, but it has a lot of flaws that waste time and resources unnecessarily and is too "one size fits all".

I have been incredibly unimpressed with the quality of education I received in both high school (3rd in state, top 300 in the country) and the college level (after 3 semesters, all I have learned is that Enron = literally worse than Hitler). I'm not surprised so many people drop out of college and that your economic prospects are significantly reduced with only a high school degree.

Though I would say that a lot of our generation's prospects are hurt in the short term by the Great Recession and the fact that we are transitioning with globalization, and our government has been overly optimistic and slow to recognize and react to this reality. I think things will correct themselves in the long run, but there's a lot of unnecessary, self-inflicted pain.

I'm thinking a bit broader. By system I mean "work hard, go to school, get middle class job, buy house, pay mortgage, retire". The stereotype of American dream.
Pages: [1]  
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies