Obama to hold mass rally for acceptance speech at Mile High Stadium (user search)
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
May 18, 2024, 02:57:29 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Election Archive
  Election Archive
  2008 Elections
  Obama to hold mass rally for acceptance speech at Mile High Stadium (search mode)
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: Obama to hold mass rally for acceptance speech at Mile High Stadium  (Read 32972 times)
Lunar
Atlas Superstar
Ireland, Republic of
« on: July 08, 2008, 02:59:12 AM »

Already some threads on this, already accusing Obama of being egotistical.  Who thinks that Obama or McCain AREN'T egotistical or thinks that this was entirely Obama's decision?  Seriously, this is ridiculous.
Lunar
Atlas Superstar
Ireland, Republic of
« Reply #1 on: July 09, 2008, 01:35:15 AM »

The thing that bothers me the most about Obama is his tendency to disregard his friends and supporters so blatantly when they become inconvenient, specifically because that is so contrary to his public image which he himself so carefully crafts.

Yeah, I have to agree with this. Remember how Obama threw away his first wife away like a piece of garbage after she was in a car accident? She simply wasn't good enough anymore, so he married some rich heiress beauty queen. Typical Obama.

McCain's first wife was a model, jackass.

Ross Perot, who paid for Carol McCain's expensive medical bills while John was in Vietnam said this:
"‘After he came home, Carol walked with a limp. So he threw her over for a poster girl with big money from Arizona. And the rest is history.’"

You must be logged in to read this quote.

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/femail/article-1024927/The-wife-John-McCain-callously-left-behind.html

Carol's wikipedia page covers all this.

I don't bag McCain much because of this, but certainly the guy has some ambition (he told his college roommate he wanted to do something so that he would be remembered in the history books and Carol early on that he wanted to be president).
Lunar
Atlas Superstar
Ireland, Republic of
« Reply #2 on: July 11, 2008, 07:54:44 PM »

Ok, fine. Would you like the inauguration there as well?

Sure, why not?  I don't really see a reason to care.

Whatever floats your boat, I guess.

That's still not really answering my question.  It obviously pisses you off for an affirmative reason.  I doubt you normally get annoyed about "boat-floating" concerns.

Uh...I can't tell if this is serious or not especially since you didn't really ask me a question.

The question was the part in his post with the question mark.  "Why not?"

Good potential answers include words like sensationalism and cheesiness cheapening the legitimacy of the presidency.

I think most of the Republicans criticizing Obama for doing this are really just subconsciously jealous, just like most Democrats here would be if McCain could fill a football stadium and Obama couldn't do something a quarter that size.  I know it sounds harsh to say "you're just jealous," but really, there aren't that any valid reasons I can think of as to why it's bad, while I can think of many that 
Lunar
Atlas Superstar
Ireland, Republic of
« Reply #3 on: July 11, 2008, 08:37:37 PM »
« Edited: July 11, 2008, 08:41:34 PM by Lunar »

The question was the part in his post with the question mark.  "Why not?"

Seemed more rhetorical to me, smartass. Thanks.

As Alcon said, it wasn't.  I mean, I understand why you ignored it (it could be construed as rhetorical) but when he mentions that you ignored his question it's pretty clear what the question is.

I agree to some extent.  If Republicans complained that Obama was showing off with his celebrity endorsements constantly and accused him of being self-centered because of him showing up and making millions at big Hollywood fundraisers, I might level the accusation again.

Obama has plenty of material for people to ding him on, he's in no ways perfect.  Why choose the most petty of things to level the big guns (as big as one can find on this forum)?
Lunar
Atlas Superstar
Ireland, Republic of
« Reply #4 on: July 11, 2008, 08:47:54 PM »

I guess that I was assuming a bit of an AIM/forum disconnect for the audience here.  I understand your explanation, sort of.  You don't like how Obama is running on a "new kind of politics," and you see this break from tradition as part of that.  Right.  OK.  But if you're working back to use this as evidence of his bad-ness, I'm just not on-board with that explanation.

This doesn't really make him "bad." It just annoys me. I also think this is a sign of his inflated ego. As I said earlier, these crowds don't really affect the viewers so I don't get why he doesn't just do this at the convention. Again, this isn't him being "bad," just irritating.

So, you really think that his advisers are telling Obama that giving one of the key speeches in his campaign in front of a huge (!) audience, the speech that more people in the country will watch than anything else, will have no effect whatsoever on the local and national media covering the event?  It's pure egotism?  Are you serious?

I don't mean to be a smartass.  Obama and McCain are probably about equally ambitious as far as I can tell, they both wanted to be president from a young age (McCain wanted to do something to "get himself into the history books" when a teenager, Obama told his kindergarten teacher he wanted to be president).  Are you really going to think that if McCain could do the same thing, and he thought it could help him win the presidency, that he wouldn't do it?

Having 75k people screaming his name DOES help for the *one* speech that people will watch.  It shows him as acceptable, popular, and commanding.  Those are all three adjectives he needs to convey in order to win.  I don't see why he should intentionally go out of his way to be humble if it means he might lose the presidency because of it.  Voters are unquestionably swayed by the political conventions, thus the traditional "post-convention bump" that occurs every time and is generally more significant than any other bump in the campaign cycle.  So these conventions do have an impact and I'm 100% certain that Obama and his advisers think giving what may be the best speech of his campaign (McCain's speech will probably be his best speech too) in front of more people will give him more stuff that translates into votes.
Lunar
Atlas Superstar
Ireland, Republic of
« Reply #5 on: July 11, 2008, 09:06:36 PM »

No, I'm pretty sure you are and I'd have a lot more respect for you if you just said it.

Dawg, I'm not going to engage in aggressive internet-fights trying to gain anonymous internet respect.  I stopped reading at this point, I think I'll bow out of this thread.
Pages: [1]  
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies