Why was Nixon so hated by liberals at his time?
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
May 30, 2024, 05:05:39 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Discussion
  History (Moderator: Southern Senator North Carolina Yankee)
  Why was Nixon so hated by liberals at his time?
« previous next »
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: Why was Nixon so hated by liberals at his time?  (Read 2906 times)
Sir Mohamed
MohamedChalid
Atlas Star
United States

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: September 07, 2016, 10:40:55 AM »

Why was Richard Nixon so disliked or hated by liberals; even before Watergate? I mean he wasn't a staunch conservative, especially not as president. He supported civil rights, had accomplishments on the environment, did not end social programs, was socially a moderate and pursued detente. Even Reagan was more liked by Democrats at the time, and he was far more conservative than Nixon. If you ask me, Nixon would be too liberal for the modern GOP.
Cassius
YaBB God

« Reply #1 on: September 07, 2016, 11:00:32 AM »

Three reasons I think:

1. Nixon established and maintained a reputation as a staunch anti-communist, and did this partly via campaigning on the theme strongly in his early political career (in both his house and senate races), and partly via associating himself, at least initially, with Joe McCarthy and the HUAC in the late 40s and early 50s.
2. The way Nixon conducted himself, especially in his early political career, was often quite aggressive (one of the reasons Eisenhower selected him to be his running mate was essentially that he could be the 'nasty cop' to his 'nice cop' during the campaign). The various charges of corruption didn't exactly improve his image in the eyes of liberals either.
3. In the latter part of his political career, Nixon positioned himself as the voice of 'Middle America's' backlash against political agitators, hippies, draft dodgers, rioters and the like, and his rhetoric essentially targeted 'liberals' (his description of his constituency as the 'non shouters, non demonstrators' implied the opposite of liberals) and pointed the finger of blame squarely at them for the troubles America was facing both at home and abroad.

Of course, Nixon had a very long career at the forefront of national politics, and had to adapt himself to the changing political scene - however, people did remember the Nixon of previous years, and his reputation as a hardline anti-communist attack dog stuck with him throughout his political career.
OSR stands with Israel
Computer89
Atlas Legend

Political Matrix
E: 3.42, S: 2.61

P P P

« Reply #2 on: September 07, 2016, 01:10:35 PM »

Cause he exposed a communist spy in the government, which to liberals is the worst thing you can do
NeverAgain
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #3 on: September 07, 2016, 05:57:53 PM »

Cause he exposed a communist spy in the government, which to liberals is the worst thing you can do

lol.
Oldiesfreak1854
Atlas Icon
United States

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #4 on: September 07, 2016, 07:51:49 PM »

Because of his role in the Hiss case.  Then, after Watergate, they piled on, accusing him of other crimes he DIDN'T commit.
Sir Mohamed
MohamedChalid
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #5 on: September 08, 2016, 10:53:39 AM »

I doubt this. I first also thought about his anti-communism (but he pursued detente nevertheless), but almost all leading politicans were anti-communists at that time, including liberals like Truman, JFK and LBJ.
Cassius
YaBB God

« Reply #6 on: September 08, 2016, 12:00:07 PM »

I doubt this. I first also thought about his anti-communism (but he pursued detente nevertheless), but almost all leading politicans were anti-communists at that time, including liberals like Truman, JFK and LBJ.

I don't think many liberals found his anti-communism that problematic in principle, I think it was more the vociferousness with which he espoused anti-communist rhetoric during his earlier career that turned them off to him.
Blair
Blair2015
Atlas Politician
Atlas Icon
United Kingdom

« Reply #7 on: September 08, 2016, 01:11:13 PM »

Surely his bombing of Cambodia and other foreign policy issues were a part once he was President
OSR stands with Israel
Computer89
Atlas Legend

Political Matrix
E: 3.42, S: 2.61

P P P

« Reply #8 on: September 08, 2016, 02:22:35 PM »

well he exposed a commie spy in the truman admin which made dems look bad , not the anti commie part but the fact that a spy was in the goverment during dem rule and he exposed it made thaem hate him
Lincoln Republican
Winfield
Atlas Icon

« Reply #9 on: September 08, 2016, 04:17:58 PM »

Nixon had the persona of someone who was insecure, vengeful, paranoid, dishonest, manipulative, and was not easy to like among Republicans and conservatives, let alone by Democrats and liberals, but he was a politician extraordinaire.
Citizen (The) Doctor
ArchangelZero
United States

Political Matrix
E: -3.23, S: -4.52

« Reply #10 on: September 08, 2016, 07:57:15 PM »

I don't think many liberals found his anti-communism that problematic in principle, I think it was more the vociferousness with which he espoused anti-communist rhetoric during his earlier career that turned them off to him.

Exactly. RFK worked for Joe McCarthy and he never apologized for it.
All Along The Watchtower
Progressive Realist
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #11 on: September 08, 2016, 08:01:06 PM »

this is so Atlas
Antonio the Sixth
Antonio V
Atlas Institution
United States

Political Matrix
E: -7.87, S: -3.83

P P
« Reply #12 on: September 08, 2016, 09:02:48 PM »

Here we go again... *sigh*
Mr. Smith
MormDem
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #13 on: September 09, 2016, 01:18:03 AM »

'Nam, gutting PBS [or trying to but Mr. Rogers saved that], beginning deregulation, and Watergate are some excellent reasons.

Also, the Overton Window was in the correct place of politics [instead of in this f&*ked up right-wing dystopia that Reaganomics brought forth], so Nixon was actually somewhat conservative.

Adjust the window rightwards and split the politics with Barack "I would've been a Reagan Reupblican in the '80's" Obama, and the personality with Hillary Clinton [because nothing annoys the media and outgoing ideologues like an introvert], and you could easily ask in a decade "Why did conservatives hate Obama and Hillary so?".

dead0man
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #14 on: September 09, 2016, 06:04:36 AM »

Nixon had the persona of someone who was insecure, vengeful, paranoid, dishonest, manipulative, and was not easy to like..., but was a politician extraordinaire.
Hillary?  Ok, maybe not insecure.
TheElectoralBoobyPrize

« Reply #15 on: September 10, 2016, 10:48:01 AM »

For the same reason Clinton was hated by conservatives so much...he often co-opted their issues. Just like Nixon was better than Kennedy and Johnson on issues like school desegregation and the environment, Clinton was better than Reagan and Bush on issues like crime and welfare reform.

Why was Reagan better-liked the Nixon even though he was further to the right? I can think of two things...

1. There was no major war during Reagan's presidency (unlike Nixon and Dubya)...that may have kept liberals' hate in check somewhat

2. Reagan's a hard guy to hate as a person...he's too charismatic. That's not the case with Nixon
SWE
SomebodyWhoExists
Atlas Icon
United States

P P P
« Reply #16 on: September 10, 2016, 03:08:25 PM »

jesus christ what is this
Pages: [1]  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length