VA-Gov 2021: Herring for AG after submitting to resident political overlord T-MAC (user search)
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
May 18, 2024, 11:49:57 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Other Elections - Analysis and Discussion
  Gubernatorial/State Elections (Moderators: Brittain33, GeorgiaModerate, Gass3268, Virginiá, Gracile)
  VA-Gov 2021: Herring for AG after submitting to resident political overlord T-MAC (search mode)
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: VA-Gov 2021: Herring for AG after submitting to resident political overlord T-MAC  (Read 22270 times)
NewYorkExpress
Atlas Star
United States

« on: May 14, 2020, 10:09:47 PM »

I would expect, win or lose this year state Democrats try to push someone like Elaine Luria or Abigail Spanberger into the race.

I also think Virgina is a better pickup opportunity for Republicans than New Jersey is, if only because Biden will win Virginia by less than he will New Jersey (I give him roughy 8-11 points in Virginia, as opposed to 13-15 points in New Jersey).

That said, unless Herring (I can't imagine African Americans in this day and age voting for someone for who admitted to wearing blackface) or Fairfax (Democrats both statewide and nationally would abandon him fairly quickly if he won the nomination) were the nominee, Democrats should still win.
NewYorkExpress
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #1 on: May 18, 2020, 07:36:34 AM »

I would expect, win or lose this year state Democrats try to push someone like Elaine Luria or Abigail Spanberger into the race.

I also think Virgina is a better pickup opportunity for Republicans than New Jersey is, if only because Biden will win Virginia by less than he will New Jersey (I give him roughy 8-11 points in Virginia, as opposed to 13-15 points in New Jersey).

That said, unless Herring (I can't imagine African Americans in this day and age voting for someone for who admitted to wearing blackface) or Fairfax (Democrats both statewide and nationally would abandon him fairly quickly if he won the nomination) were the nominee, Democrats should still win.

I wouldn’t be so sure about that with Herring in particular. He had deep relationships with African American leaders and voters in the state, and his admission came first to the black caucus in the VA legislature. I don’t think he will (or should) be the nominee, but I wouldn’t count him out tbh.

Yeah Herring's offenses are much more light than Northam, whose grave is in part so deep because he repeatedly waffled on the charge. Herring got out in front, admitted it proactively, and it subsided into a relative non-story pretty quickly.

Also in a general who is going to credibly attack Herring for wearing blackface in college? VA AA voters aren't going to take bottom-barrel bait from a typical white Republican over this and what non-white Republicans are there who can weaponize this effectively. Who is going to lead that charge... EW Jackson?

It might not be a credible line of attack in a general election, but against someone like Jennifer Carroll Foy or Levar Stoney (both of whom are African American), it would be a credible line of attack in the primary.
NewYorkExpress
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #2 on: May 18, 2020, 11:39:14 AM »

It might not be a credible line of attack in a general election, but against someone like Jennifer Carroll Foy or Levar Stoney (both of whom are African American), it would be a credible line of attack in the primary.

Stoney is recruited for LG.

According to Wikipedia, no one has announced for that race yet.
NewYorkExpress
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #3 on: May 27, 2020, 07:01:55 PM »

Here's hoping that forces Fairfax out (or at least takes all of his African-American support).
NewYorkExpress
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #4 on: September 03, 2020, 05:01:57 PM »

If Herring's smart he'll drop out of the Attorney General's race too. There's no place in statewide politics for someone who wore blackface.
NewYorkExpress
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #5 on: September 04, 2020, 11:50:15 PM »

Well, if Riggleman wins the nomination, that turns a Safe D race into a Lean/Likely D race.

The Republicans best chance would probably be persuading Eric Cantor to stop being a lobbyist.
Pages: [1]  
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies