Professor fired for criticizing Israel files suit against University of Illinois (user search)
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
May 13, 2024, 03:45:19 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  U.S. General Discussion (Moderators: The Dowager Mod, Chancellor Tanterterg)
  Professor fired for criticizing Israel files suit against University of Illinois (search mode)
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: Professor fired for criticizing Israel files suit against University of Illinois  (Read 2795 times)
Adam Griffin
Atlas Star
Greece

Political Matrix
E: -7.35, S: -6.26

« on: January 29, 2015, 01:10:00 PM »

You must be logged in to read this quote.

If true, then it's stuff like this that feeds the age-old conspiracy.
Adam Griffin
Atlas Star
Greece

Political Matrix
E: -7.35, S: -6.26

« Reply #1 on: January 29, 2015, 01:44:53 PM »

Speech does have consequences, but the university also needs to tread lightly and remember that it is a government organization. Will be interesting to see how this plays out here at my school.

Yes, he most certainly has a case, I feel. I seem to recall at least one Supreme Court case from decades ago (Pickering v Board of Education?) in which a teacher was fired for unpopular speech made in their capacity as a private citizen, and that the SC ruled that teachers couldn't be fired for such. Obviously the professor in question came with a pre-existing social media following and a resumé with several previously-published books, so the school can't really claim that they have any possession or right to regulate the social media account nor that it was reflective of anything other than free speech made as a private citizen.
Pages: [1]  
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies