Besides Florida in 2000, what other network calls got reversed? (user search)
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
May 20, 2024, 12:32:56 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Presidential Elections - Analysis and Discussion
  U.S. Presidential Election Results (Moderator: Dereich)
  Besides Florida in 2000, what other network calls got reversed? (search mode)
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: Besides Florida in 2000, what other network calls got reversed?  (Read 2498 times)
Nym90
nym90
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: -5.55, S: -2.96

P P P

« on: February 26, 2010, 10:21:47 PM »

NBC Called North and South Carolina for Carter in 1980, only to have Reagan come back and win.
Source? I think that the networks called North and South Carolina along with alot of other states for Reagan early based on exit polls. They called the presidency based on exit polls.

I remember a recording of that election night I saw where I saw one guy say that ..."the floodgates opened and almost everything went for Ronald Reagan." I think that North Carolina and South Carolina were two of the places that that person was referring to. They were, to my knowledge, called early like a lot of other places.

But, if you had a source, then you would be proven right. I would like to see a source.

Heres you stupid source:

http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/25887219/#27168385

Watch at 2:11 in the first video

There you go.

I watched all the videos and didn't see any calls of the Carolinas for Carter in any of them, unless I missed something.

A lot of states were called ridiculously early in 1980, especially the South. Tennessee only went for Reagan by 0.4% and yet it was already called by 8:15 Eastern!
Nym90
nym90
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: -5.55, S: -2.96

P P P

« Reply #1 on: February 26, 2010, 10:34:11 PM »

Oh ok, I see it now. I don't think that's an actual map from election night though....more like a preelection prediction. Immediately before that in the video they said that the hostage announcement was 2 days before the election, so I'm assuming that's when the clip with Brokaw is from.

It is kind of odd that they'd have Brokaw reporting on news with a map behind him, though. I was only 2 years old in 1980 so obviously I don't remember. Smiley
Pages: [1]  
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies